Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #16
sirex
King Sirex

can i do on my phone? sg3
Old 10-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #17
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
can i do on my phone? sg3
You can use it on any netflix devices if you are on the wi-fi, you won't be able to use US version on the fly, if you are on network data streaming you will get Canadian version of it.

We've been using this for over an year and we just cancelled cable as its useless, the unblockus service also allow you to view BBC UK iplayer, so you can watch Dr. Who, Downton Abbey etc after it has just aired.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

If you don't require netflix there is a free service available...that operates just like unblock-us.

http://tunlr.net/

actually anyone could potentially set this up...so long as you have a proxy server down in the US and a DNS server to route the traffic for these geoblocked media sites to your proxy server.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #19
psilokan
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
Want to share what my friend shared with me.

We can access US Netflix very easily and for free.

The link below is a quick good read with direct download.

http://www.hacktrix.com/how-to-get-a-us-ip-address

http://www.hotspotshield.com/
HotSpot shield is crap, all your bandwidth goes through it so you'll lose a significant amount of download speed plus they can potentially watch all your traffic.

Your best bet is to use different DNS settings, then all your traffic will not go through them and that means no watching you do your banking and what not. Tunlr works, but I've heard they are no longer supporting Netflix, and even when they did their service went up and down quite a bit.

This guy here does a good job going over all the options and what's best.

I've been going with Unblock-us a while now and have had 0 issues.
psilokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

If it's as easy as changing DNS, why not just use Google's dns (8.8.8.8) which should be in the US right? I thought all these services checked the originating IP and where the subnet is owned ... which is why you need a proxy to put a fronting IP in front of it. Anyway, I'll check out the options once I run out of crap to watch on the Canadian version
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #21
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^scotch,

These guys use advanced level networking to dynamically modify packet header info to make it appear as it is coming from within the geo-permitted network. It is very cool and works very well.

AFAIK they do use google's primary DNS for all non-media traffic (they only modify packets related to streaming video on a ACL basis)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #22
psilokan
1st Gear Newbie

Google's DNS settings do not work for this. I'm assuming they have so many servers that it automatically uses local ones, so if you're in Canada it's going through a Canadian DNS or at least passing on your country. I had been using 8.8.8.8 as my DNS for a couple years before switching it to Unblock-Us.

Unfortunately it's not that easy
Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilokan View Post
Google's DNS settings do not work for this. I'm assuming they have so many servers that it automatically uses local ones, so if you're in Canada it's going through a Canadian DNS or at least passing on your country. I had been using 8.8.8.8 as my DNS for a couple years before switching it to Unblock-Us.

Unfortunately it's not that easy
I know ... that's why I said it isn't as easy as just changing to a US based DNS

I looked it up and as prop said, they actually modify the TCP traffic to "fake" US based origin when you hit a resource they handle. So if a new service comes along, this won't automagically work until the service gets on board and adds it to the list of supported services.

Anyway, it does seem MUCH better that a VPN (which is what HotSpot shield is) as it does not impact your actual bandwidth.

The only issue is that since all the streaming services use some sort of CDN (Akamai usually) which is distributed, you will end up getting to a US based CDN rather than a closer one, so the net path isn't as efficient. Still obviously plenty of bandwidth for Netflix and the like. Will try this out for sure ... and UnoTelly seems like a good alternative as well, and then there is proxydns.co which so far is FREE!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #24
psilokan
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
I know ... that's why I said it isn't as easy as just changing to a US based DNS
No worries, your wording made it sound otherwise though.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #25
325isdan
5th Gear Member

FYI there are DNS # all over youtube that you can change on Android phones and PS3 and have access to US Netflix with out having to purchase or download a thing.

And for the people that say US Netflix is not as good as Canadian Netflix are very mistaken.

Something like 12000+ shows vs 3500
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #26
psilokan
1st Gear Newbie

Huh? Who has ever said that Canadian Netflix was BETTER than the US one? Everyone know's that's not true.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: