Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
stoneycreek
1st Gear Newbie

Rant: Melon's Auto Oakville

I want to say hello first of all and introduce myself. My name is Milan and I do own a 1999 BMW 740 iL and my wife has a 2000 BMW 740il Individual. Our summer fun vehicle is 96 SAAB 900 convertible.
I frequent BMW forums in Canada and USA. Most of my cars that I have owned have been German vehicles and that's not going to change any time soon.
I hope I can put a word out and raise an awareness about the incident that happened to me just recently, at the Garage that I thought was reputable.

Garage name is Melons Auto in Oakville, Ontario. According to them they specialize in MB, BMW, VW and Audi cars. I am in the process of challenging that.

Please follow the link provided
Thank you
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/less-...tario-1349853/

Over 2700 people have seen the thread
stoneycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I think you should just post your story here:

Quote:
I don't usually get upset easily but my experience at Melons auto was incredibly miserable, belittling and just appalling.

About a month ago I brought my car to Melons auto in Oakville for timing chain guides replacement. I spoke in person with Sabbas, the owner of the place. After good 20 minutes conversation with him I left with a smile on my face and confidence that work will be done properly and with quality.
First clue of "shady" service was when I called 2 days later to check up on the car. They did not touch it or ordered parts for it. Owner promised that car will be done latest Friday 5pm. I dropped it off on Monday afternoon. "Lady" on the phone said that no one promised anything and basically I am at their mercy.
I sat quiet. They new that I leave for Atlanta on Wednesday and I hoped that car would be done. Between few phone calls and rude brush offs on the phone, car was ready for pickup on Monday afternoon.
Except for extremely dirty steering wheel, seat, door handle, a pillar and everything they touched, car ran fine. I checked what I could check. Mechanically it all looked ok.
Car did well, no issues with anything until we came to Joe's C. place, 1500 km's later, I noticed small oil leak around driver side vanos solenoid. I looked better and noticed a lot of silicone around it and slow oil leak around it.
Whatever, not a big deal, right.
Few weeks later, I went to change the spark plugs. All 4 driver side spark plugs were soaked in oil, well that's not good.... Passenger side was not as bad.
I tightened the bolts a bit and changed the plugs. At the same time I made an appointment at Melons Auto for warranty work on leaking gaskets.
That was this morning.
Mechanic took a look and noticed oil leaks right away, I showed him the pictures of oiled spark plugs, he noted right away that as well. I told him that I suspect that gaskets were reused not replaced as owner did say that they will do that if necessary.
Two hours later, sitting in their waiting area and listening to their "professionalism" on and off the phone, "lady" finally decided to tell me what their decision was. By the way, same lady was in charge of finding a proper part number for the solenoid gasket and she could not find it on real oem, well here it is just for the reference
no: 9

Here comes the best part.
It takes and hour to change the vanos solenoid gasket, LMFAO, ok, its not covered under warranty as they did not replace that originally, but since they took it off and put it back on they would only charge me $12 for the gasket, no labour. I said, that's fair.
But....., leaking valve cover gaskets are not under warranty because I changed the spark plugs.............. Yeah, go figure that.
Two "ladies" are involved now, speaking at the same time, calling me pretty much euro trash and liar. Somewhere in that shouting match between two of them, I was able to tell them that I never took of valve covers to check on the gaskets or to replace plugs. Their unanimous answer was that they don't care and that I voided the warranty by changing spark plugs. I should have brought the car in for diagnostic to them first, so they can charge their $99 diag fee.
When I mentioned that I will be leaving now and will be sharing my experience with anyone I know they put the owner on the phone with me (he was listening in on the speaker phone). I was able to explain to him what my case was, while other two "ladies" were going off in the background.
He agreed to take the car in, schedule an appointment and change the gaskets under warranty.
I thanked him and he continued to talk to one of the "ladies".
When she hanged up on him she continued to blast me off, telling me this is not Europe, I can't cheat here and on and on like that.
I was completely over run by those two, could not take it any more.
I asked for my keys back and told them that I will be taking my car to another shop and will be hearing from me at the latter day.
Nobody will make me trust this shop ever again. Words can not explain the embarrassment I went trough at Melons Auto, for no fault of mine.

After I left their facility, I have made a call to my BMW parts guy and found out that vanos solenoid gasket is $8.20 and valve cover gaskets are $45.00 per side.
For that miserable amount of money they have just lost numerous customers and definitely created a name for them self.
There should be a no melon law as there is a no lemon

To all of my Canadian family and friends, do not go here, unless you want to REGRET
Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
_JohnnyD_
2nd Gear Member

I agree, I have also been to this shop and have been scolded by one of the "ladies" at the counter.
I called them regarding getting a replacement gas tank for my 1990 325i. The parts "lady" told me I was in luck they had a great condition gas tank from a car they stripped for parts. I stopped by after work to pickup the tank, when they showed me the tank I noticed it was an early E30 with only one hole on the RH side. I politely told her that this won't work.
She told me don't worry, they have a 1991 318is that needs to be stripped that has a good gas tank.
The following week I arrive to pick up the "new" gas tank and again it only has one hole. I told her again I can't use this tank.
The parts "lady" at the desk freaked out, she called me an asshole for wasting their time, making up bull shit about parts that don't exist and that I was "one of those punk ass know nothing BMW kids". (just for reference I'm 31 and I was in business casual work cloths)
This was clearly to impress the older gentleman waiting in the corner for his Benz, who was shocked.
I walked out.
It's too bad because they did quote great prices.

Henry Ford
_JohnnyD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
damameke
6th Gear Member

"Its too bad because they did quote great price"

There is the problem... never shop price alone..
I rather pay shop price if the repair is done right the 1st time
and good customer service.. go SF in the future.. these guys listen and no BS
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
it amazes me how places like these stay in business for so long.

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
stoneycreek
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JohnnyD_ View Post
I agree, I have also been to this shop and have been scolded by one of the "ladies" at the counter.
I called them regarding getting a replacement gas tank for my 1990 325i. The parts "lady" told me I was in luck they had a great condition gas tank from a car they stripped for parts. I stopped by after work to pickup the tank, when they showed me the tank I noticed it was an early E30 with only one hole on the RH side. I politely told her that this won't work.
She told me don't worry, they have a 1991 318is that needs to be stripped that has a good gas tank.
The following week I arrive to pick up the "new" gas tank and again it only has one hole. I told her again I can't use this tank.
The parts "lady" at the desk freaked out, she called me an asshole for wasting their time, making up bull shit about parts that don't exist and that I was "one of those punk ass know nothing BMW kids". (just for reference I'm 31 and I was in business casual work cloths)
This was clearly to impress the older gentleman waiting in the corner for his Benz, who was shocked.
I walked out.
It's too bad because they did quote great prices.
WOW, that's so IDENTICALL to what happened to me, over all speaking
stoneycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
SFX Group
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SFX Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
Great prices for..... THE WRONG PART, make BMW aware of them, say its put you off buying another BMW, your find they wont be selling BMW parts for to long (BMW have a habit of snipping companies who do over there clients, even if this company isnt a dealer, they will get a letter from BMW with a warning).

© Copyright 2014 - www.ashleygriffin.ca ::: Click to see my current second hand parts :::

::: My Videos :::
::: LED side indicators ::: Navigation Mk2 to Mk4 upgrade ::: Glovebox position damper ::: 740Li 2013 tour ::: Voice Control teaser trailer :::

>>> Click picture to see car used on TV as James Bond car <<<

SFX Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX Group View Post
Great prices for..... THE WRONG PART, make BMW aware of them, say its put you off buying another BMW, your find they wont be selling BMW parts for to long (BMW have a habit of snipping companies who do over there clients, even if this company isnt a dealer, they will get a letter from BMW with a warning).
Maybe BMW should worry about its own reputation!!! Let me tell you how I am waiting on parts I ordered over 3 months ago, and still nothing! Got the wrong bumper 2 times, got the wrong diffuser 3 times, and still nobody can tell me when my parts will be here! And this is after spending almost $3k on one single order...love the customer service!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Report it to the BBB, and there must be a Bureau of Automotive Repair in Ontario....
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneycreek View Post
my wife has a 2000 BMW 740il Individual.
Can you tell us more about your wife's Individual? Do you have any photos of the car?
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
Can you tell us more about your wife's Individual? Post about 100 photos of the car?
Fixed!
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
Old 09-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
canusaybimmy
1st Gear Newbie

Sorry to hear about this whole situation. Sad how these places continue to stay in business and screw over others. Good thread. I for one will not be going to this place. I'll warn others as well.
canusaybimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
newbe46
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post

There is the problem... never shop price alone..
I rather pay shop price if the repair is done right the 1st time
and good customer service.. go SF in the future.. these guys listen and no BS
Sometimes price does not mean everything. I have been to another garage and got ripped off real good. Later on I found out everything they told me was full of crap.

I was new to BMW and I spot some small oil leak from the drain plug. I brought my car to this garage "specialized in European motors" somewhere in North York on Toro Road. They dared to charge me $300 for a new drain plug plus a quart of engine oil and had me waited there long enough to think something was actually done on the car. They then showed me the leak wasn't that bad. They even told me the washer was put in because the previous shop might have spotted a leak. To my ignorance, I believed him at the time. But after I had done more research on the web, the crush washer was a standard no matter was there a leak or not. The washer and o-ring do come with each original BMW oil filter.

I connected all the dots from what he said and what I read on the web then realize this shop is full of crap. Later I found out the drain plug was not torqued properly and hence the drips of oil.

Yeah, they did charge me good but that does not equal honest and quality service.
newbe46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

when you choose an Independant bmw service centre, stick to the ones on maxbimmer, I had a great experience with RMP, StanceFactory and BimmerSport...

They all got great reviews from maxbimmer members! And they won't try and scam you.
PREVIOUS CARS
Old 09-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
newbe46
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson03tj View Post
when you choose an Independant bmw service centre, stick to the ones on maxbimmer, I had a great experience with RMP, StanceFactory and BimmerSport...

They all got great reviews from maxbimmer members! And they won't try and scam you.

Yeah, I have to give full credit to maXbimmer. It was through maX that I found RMP.
newbe46 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: