Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Platinum maXbimmer Sponsors > Bimmersport Automotive
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
partner103
2nd Gear Member

Not the best first experience

Hi,

I am sure a lot of the members are happy with this shop, and I will not bash or talk ill about them. However, I do want to share my very first and most likely the last experience with them.

I booked an appointment with them about a month ago, as they are very busy. After all the good reviews I read I was expecting a friendly, accommodating and professional environment.

I walked in and had a short chat about the work I'd like on my E30. I asked for a full flush on all fluids including tranny, brake, coolant, oil. At this point I was told that they don't want to do it all, as they are worried it will cause leaks I had a WTF moment for a minute, and all went downhill from there. I mean I got this car about 2 months ago, and want to make sure I did the must (at least in my mind) done maintenance. Anyway...

We start, in about 30 mins they pull my car in. I asked them to lift her up by the chassy and not the frame (at this point I was told, don't worry will lift her up by the frame). My jaw dropped ... didn't I just ask not to lift her up by the frame ???? Anyway the mechanic did lift her up the way I asked.

While the fella was working on the car I asked if they could order me a fog light relay as the previous owner fugged up the settings, and perhaps also wire it in (it's already hoisted up anyway). At this point I was asked for the color (I said it's black), then later on I (the customer) was asked for the PART NUMBER.... Gave them the pin count and the number placement on the pins, that I knew. Yeah, getting a fog light relay can be a hassle, unfortunately.

At this time, I also asked if they could look at the A/C as it may leak (this was completely ignored, overlooked) At the same time I said there may be some leaking, can you check pls. They did check, however, didn't allow me the opportunity to say "Yes, I'd like you to change the oil pan gasket as well, since you are already changing the oil")

So I ended up with a FULL tune up, of an oil change, fuel filter and spark plugs.
All this for a $335, however, considering I wanted some other things that were completely ignored, overlooked... I am VERY unhappy. I took a day off from work to go see these guys. Needless to say I will not go back again to this shop. Nor will I be repping them to anyone.

I am sure they mean well, and are professional, however, I didn't feel the love and the professionalism all so heavily advertised.

I am sure they will be fine without me....

Last edited by partner103; 06-24-2013 at 06:15 PM.
partner103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
dbworld4k
Addict

Sounds like you are not happy because you went in and started asking for them to do things you initially did not book your appointment for. That's your prerogative, not the shop's. If you wanted a fog light relay on an impromptu basis, you should've had the part number handy or informed them beforehand; if you wanted the A/C system inspected, you should've told them while booking the appointment; instead of asking the shop to do it all on the spot. I'm sure they were tending to more than just one car, as do most shops. To expect the foreman/tech to perform a series of unscheduled tasks simply because "the car is on the hoist" is rather unreasonable on your part. Random requests take time, time that is already scheduled throughout the day for a shop, time which is money.

From your post, it seems you are unhappy because several things you wanted done outside the scheduled appointment were not done. These complaints have very little merit, IMO.

Full disclaimer: I am not a client of Bimmersport Automotive nor do I have anything at stake here, but I hate seeing large accusations being thrown around without logical justifications.

Hope you have better luck at your next shop.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Barnsdale
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Sounds like you are not happy because you went in and started asking for them to do things you initially did not book your appointment for. That's your prerogative, not the shop's. If you wanted a fog light relay on an impromptu basis, you should've had the part number handy or informed them beforehand; if you wanted the A/C system inspected, you should've told them while booking the appointment; instead of asking the shop to do it all on the spot. I'm sure they were tending to more than just one car, as do most shops. To expect the foreman/tech to perform a series of unscheduled tasks simply because "the car is on the hoist" is rather unreasonable on your part. Random requests take time, time that is already scheduled throughout the day for a shop, time which is money.

From your post, it seems you are unhappy because several things you wanted done outside the scheduled appointment were not done. These complaints have very little merit, IMO.

Full disclaimer: I am not a client of Bimmersport Automotive nor do I have anything at stake here, but I hate seeing large accusations being thrown around without logical justifications.

Hope you have better luck at your next shop.
+1 - most really busy shops don't have the time to do additional things, you really have to book what you need done. It's also annoying for others when you make them do more then what they've booked you in for and then push everyone else further back.
Barnsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

While surprised they talked you out of a full fluid flush, I'm not surprised about the others. Was it an auto tranny flush that they talked you out of?

The oil pan gasket is not a while you are changing the oil kinda job, you gotta drop the front sub frame, probably a 6hr plus job.

Plus you drive an e30
No offence but they probably don't see dollar signs when you roll up and maybe didn't want to offend you with a huge bill. I kid, I kid. But I've owned a few e30s and know them well.

$355 sounds like a steal for a tune up. I'm sure a smaller less known shop with more time on their hands would have taken you for all you were willing to spend.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
partner103
2nd Gear Member

Barns/db
In some ways I agree, that perhaps there were what could be deemed as an unscheduled task (ie fog light).

However, the rest I think I may have either expressed wrong, or you may have interpreted it wrong.

When you ask for a full tune up, inc. flushing fluids(during when I made the appointment a month ago, and I also said wheel bearings at that time) then you are told you'll get an oil change, spark plugs and fuel, oil and air filters, I'd assume that the tranny, coolant etc...fluid flushing time would have covered time for the fog light check. To be fair I was also told to change the ignition wires, but I politely declined that option as they are still good (with receipt)

Let's assume that's not the case...

When I brought the car in the morning, before anything was started I DID mention the A/C. So that wasn't unscheduled, they could've said no (they just didn't record it), also I told them about my wheel bearings during the making of the appointment (a month prior) and they had no idea. They knew I had an appointment, that is all. So all those tasks (that were left out) and the time it would've taken them to perform could've covered the fog light part as well.

From my part I agree on the fog light being unscheduled (the other points I elaborated on more above) , and I also agree that they also did attend to more cars.

I think the key IS right there, too many cars, very busy and perhaps not enough technicians. The guy that was working on my car was interrupted at least 5 times to attend to other cars. Then came back

I called in advance, I also asked for stuff before the car went in , and came out with a discounted delivery.

On the plus side though, they did look at the brake sensors..., but other planned, asked for stuff was not done.

EDIT: As I said before I am not bashing them, or saying anything negative about the shop. And definitely not accusing, but described my experience with them, and said that the shop is not for me. Not everybody has a full positive experience, I am sure all the other bmws were regular customers.

NINJA EDIT: T DOT.
Nope was talked out of a manual tranny, coolant, brake fluids.

And you are right, I was the only E30 there
You are also right about the oil pan gasket.

Last edited by partner103; 06-24-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
///tyron
4th Gear Member

I see nothing wrong at all with what they did. Most other shops would have laughed at you. Understand these guys do this for a living and know exactly what theyre doing. Im sure theyve put a few e30's on a hoist in their day. Doing a trans and coolant flush is the last thing you want to do on an old dinosaur like an e30. Theyre covering their own ass so when, not if, but when it decides to leak you cant take it back and blame them. Putting any pressure through the cooling or trans system on a car that old is asking for trouble.

Tune ups dont include an ac service either. Having a car on the hoist they dont have parts for is wasting time and money i.e oilpan gasket, foglight etc Also expecting them to change an oil pan gasket while the car is in for a tune up is ludicris. Im not sure on an e30, but on an e36 its atleast 5+ hrs. They have other appointments they would have had to seen too.

My advice to you is, next time, youre the one who should be better prepared.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
partner103
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///tyron View Post
I see nothing wrong at all with what they did. Most other shops would have laughed at you. Understand these guys do this for a living and know exactly what theyre doing. Im sure theyve put a few e30's on a hoist in their day. Doing a trans and coolant flush is the last thing you want to do on an old dinosaur like an e30. Theyre covering their own ass so when, not if, but when it decides to leak you cant take it back and blame them. Putting any pressure through the cooling or trans system on a car that old is asking for trouble.
When I called a month ago I explained the tune up and what I wanted. They could've have said, no thank you. But they didn't.

Quote:
Tune ups dont include an ac service either.
I did mention they skipped this beat, wasn't recorded. After all was done, I did ask about it and then they offered to take the car back in (4 hrs passed for the tune up) and I politely declined it.

Quote:
Having a car on the hoist they dont have parts for is wasting time and money i.e oilpan gasket, foglight etc Also expecting them to change an oil pan gasket while the car is in for a tune up is ludicris. Im not sure on an e30, but on an e36 its atleast 5+ hrs. They have other appointments they would have had to seen too.
I think I explained this before, please refer to those points in my previous posts. Also, I think the wheel bearings take a good 5 hours, so that could've covered it. But that wasn't recorded either when I called a month ago for the appointment.

Quote:
My advice to you is, next time, youre the one who should be better prepared.
Lesson learned

Last edited by partner103; 06-24-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
cormier
6th Gear Member

I think it's hard for them when you seem like you're going in asking for twenty things, it doesn't seem like the visit was too planned out. Busy shops need clear instructions on specific, attainable tasks to be performed. I haven't come across one good shop where this isn't the case -- and it doesn't stop people from being repeat customers.

Just have to realize that they are people too and are not going to take your new e30 with your project list and pump it out in factory condition the first appointment. Nothing against you or your car, just us guys with long to-do lists need some patience and organization in my experience (especially with e30s)

I don't understand what you mean about the jack points by the way -- where did they jack your car and where would you have liked it to be jacked? Again from experience, I've always been jacked in just the right places at bimmersport

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
partner103
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post

Just have to realize that they are people too and are not going to take your new e30 with your project list and pump it out in factory condition the first appointment. Nothing against you or your car, just us guys with long to-do lists need some patience and organization in my experience (especially with e30s)
You are right, that is why I am saying this was my experience with them. And my conclusion is that they were/are overloaded.

Not discounting knowledge, skills or anything related
Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
The oil pan gasket is not a while you are changing the oil kinda job, you gotta drop the front sub frame, probably a 6hr plus job.
Nah, you can get it out by just unbolting the motor mounts and jacking the motor up, and seeing as he was getting a coolant flush it'd be even easier because the lower rad hose could be removed (it somewhat limits how much you can jack up the motor). On a hoist I'd say it's a 2hr job tops.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Nah, you can get it out by just unbolting the motor mounts and jacking the motor up, and seeing as he was getting a coolant flush it'd be even easier because the lower rad hose could be removed (it somewhat limits how much you can jack up the motor). On a hoist I'd say it's a 2hr job tops.
nifty, i never thought of doing that.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
pearl_iroc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by partner103 View Post
Hi,

I am sure a lot of the members are happy with this shop, and I will not bash or talk ill about them. However, I do want to share my very first and most likely the last experience with them.

I booked an appointment with them about a month ago, as they are very busy. After all the good reviews I read I was expecting a friendly, accommodating and professional environment.

I walked in and had a short chat about the work I'd like on my E30. I asked for a full flush on all fluids including tranny, brake, coolant, oil. At this point I was told that they don't want to do it all, as they are worried it will cause leaks I had a WTF moment for a minute, and all went downhill from there. I mean I got this car about 2 months ago, and want to make sure I did the must (at least in my mind) done maintenance. Anyway...

We start, in about 30 mins they pull my car in. I asked them to lift her up by the chassy and not the frame (at this point I was told, don't worry will lift her up by the frame). My jaw dropped ... didn't I just ask not to lift her up by the frame ???? Anyway the mechanic did lift her up the way I asked.

While the fella was working on the car I asked if they could order me a fog light relay as the previous owner fugged up the settings, and perhaps also wire it in (it's already hoisted up anyway). At this point I was asked for the color (I said it's black), then later on I (the customer) was asked for the PART NUMBER.... Gave them the pin count and the number placement on the pins, that I knew. Yeah, getting a fog light relay can be a hassle, unfortunately.

At this time, I also asked if they could look at the A/C as it may leak (this was completely ignored, overlooked) At the same time I said there may be some leaking, can you check pls. They did check, however, didn't allow me the opportunity to say "Yes, I'd like you to change the oil pan gasket as well, since you are already changing the oil")

So I ended up with a FULL tune up, of an oil change, fuel filter and spark plugs.
All this for a $335, however, considering I wanted some other things that were completely ignored, overlooked... I am VERY unhappy. I took a day off from work to go see these guys. Needless to say I will not go back again to this shop. Nor will I be repping them to anyone.

I am sure they mean well, and are professional, however, I didn't feel the love and the professionalism all so heavily advertised.

I am sure they will be fine without me....
don't feel bad, they broke a bolt on my bros bell housing on his 98 M3 a fews years back when he had it in for a clutch. Wasn't so bad till the we found out they glued the head back on the bolt to make it look like it was there lol
pearl_iroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
partner103
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl_iroc View Post
don't feel bad, they broke a bolt on my bros bell housing on his 98 M3 a fews years back when he had it in for a clutch. Wasn't so bad till the we found out they glued the head back on the bolt to make it look like it was there lol
Nice.

They ripped out the back brake sensor completely and now I have wires dangling by my rear wheel. Will need to get a harness, sensor etc soon.

Anyway, I consider this thread done from my part. This was a very bad experience from my part, that is all.

On the pro side I did receive messages regarding other shops, so I will try those instead.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
bmwins
2nd Gear Member

Only BMW Indy I would recommend so far is RMP.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
jeremy
6th Gear Member

I used to go to Lakeside and always had good service.
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: