Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
Ryan1212
Some sort of something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Another reason why it's recommended to go to a driving school with proper instruction first, instead of the 'Just Lapping' attitude.
Exactly, I had a blast at the BMW club driving school in April, learned a ton, most fun I've had in a car ever.
Ryan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Im sorry but one or even a small handful of driving schools isnt going to do much to prevent this.

Im not saying those are bad things to do at all but they dont teach you car control and familiarity with your car. never mind the fact that on the track anything can happen at anytime to anyone no matter how much experience you have under your belt.

but (without being there) it sounds like the driver was just not familiar with how that car behaves once things get a little slippery. If he only had it for 4 weeks I can see that as the case.
He probably shouldnt have been going 11/10ths.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

^^ Agreed. It won't prevent it.

But the typical FR-S/BRZ driver needs it. There has been too many, 'I took traction off and this happened....' stories already.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #19
BigD
the misanthropist

I gotta say it, I object to these kinds of pics being posted. This isn't some random viral pic from the internet. This is a local enthusiast who's having a really bad time right now and you're treating it as popcorn fodder.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
^^ Agreed. It won't prevent it.

But the typical FR-S/BRZ driver needs it. There has been too many, 'I took traction off and this happened....' stories already.
Did you end up reading the second page of that rennlist thread that you posted up on the ft86club forum? As I was reading the initial post in the back of my mind I was like "Ok this might work but...." and then someone wrote exactly what I was thinking...

Quote:
Consider your insurance to be your one-time get-out-of-jail-free card for a mishap at the track. They'll drop you, find any number of ways to not allow you back, and you'll be blacklisted - basically end up with facility insurance, which will be as much as $10k/year.

There's nothing in the Insurance Act or either of the court's decisions that says you have to inform them in advance. I think if you did advise them you'd be receiving a termination letter in the mail within a few days.

I don't think you should consider DEs at all when choosing your options for insurance coverage. Get a policy that covers you for everything else, and if something serious happens at a DE, cross that bridge when you come to it, knowing you'll have a massive fight in front of you, but one that you're almost guaranteed to win.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #21
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Yup I have no doubt that they would do whatever they can to make your life hell.

The Porsche guy had a $50k+ payout, so maybe he took a few years away from driving...
For a silly fender bender its not worth the hassle of the claim, for me at least. I just wanted to throw it out there.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #22
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

totally agree. Going through insurance is a last resort in this province.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #23
mr ilia
2nd Gear Member

What kind of recording setup have you got to show the speed on the screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMe30 View Post
Had a blast last night! Car was ok. Really need to tune itbs for top end. Sounds great!

http://youtu.be/ZsInkMBPeAI

And here is one of me going off track. When you start to question if you should one more lap... Don't lol. Car is fine. Just missing a center rim cap

http://youtu.be/UtuzOcoMej8

Some track rims and tires are on order for next year.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #24
BMe30
all by chance...

Jvideolaps pay app

App for iphone. But i can't get the track layout to work. Not sure if its my ip4 and not the ip4s or higher.

I also have vidometer. Free app. Havent used it yet but looks cool
Old 06-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #25
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

My 2cents on that FRS malarky.

I do not feel it is a big deal. He is one of many fr-s owners that will crash their cars this year. I see it as a good thing due to the fact of him wrecking it in a closed course environment and not on the street where such a mistake could potentially result in multiple fatalities.

There is no reason for this person to be driving at their limit on an open lapping day in a street car just for the **** of it and if somebody wants to do that its their choice and I would never go against that. As Ryan said quality race schools are important but what they provide isn't an increase in driving skill, but an increase in awareness. They teach you to be conservative, aware and to develop a driving style that allows you to hone your skills without a whole lot of risk.

It is good that this story has gone viral in the local community, maybe provides a reason for people to think twice about how they operate their vehicle. Besides someone who buys a white fr-s, in my opinion, is looking for attention anyways. He's going through a bad time now? who gives a ****, if he gives up on motorsport from this then he shouldn't be doing it anyways. Every single time you go to the track there is a possibility of this.
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #26
Nerk
2nd Gear Member

I may be going on July 17th, given my car is fixed by then... having some starting and idling issues...
Nerk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: