Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

New Member-E46 and E30 Racecar Content

Hi everyone,

New member to the forum, but not new to BMW or other forums (same handle on bf.c, r3vlimited, e30tech, e46fanatics, spece30, nasaforums...) I just moved to downtown Toronto from Connecticut. I currently have an E46 daily driver and a SpecE30 race car. I'm importing both and plan to keep the E30 street legal, as it is now in CT. I was told today that to pass safety inspection, the car needs to be at stock ride height. Is this true? The E30 has H&R Race springs which aren't that low. If I can't get around it, does someone have some stock E30 springs I can borrow for a couple days? Also, my quote for car insurance is more than 4 times what I pay in CT. Is there any way I can improve this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I do all my own car work, and have a computer with INPA, NCS Expert, and WinKFP fully functional (up through E60, I believe). I'm willing to help with any problems on that front.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to some car meets and cruises, and here are the pictures you will inevitably ask for:
Before I painted the E30, E46 on its snow wheels:

What the E30 looks like now...

Last edited by cheapthrills; 06-18-2013 at 03:35 PM.
cheapthrills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

doesnt need to be stock ride height and welcome to ontario. we get smokkkkkkkkkkkkkkked on insurance.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

welcome to Toronto where we pay any amount they wanna charge for insurance - just because...LOL!!

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #4
davericher20
black and blue

Does not need to be stock height, and as soon as you cross the border, you might as well pull your pants down so they can fondle your balls, rape you in the ass and cum in your hair/on your drapes

And then you'll get screwed on insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #5
jabela
4th Gear Member

lol... nice welcome Dave... There goes the myth that Canadians are polite!

Anyhow, welcome to Toronto. Insurance is ridiculous here. How much were you paying in CT? I pay about $1300 for my E46.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Welcome, you will find most everything is more expensive here then where you used to reside.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Hey Alex, nice to see you on here (I bought your seatbelt receiver a couple of months ago). That is an awesome E30!

For insurance, it helps a lot if you're outside of downtown. Using your in-laws' address will save you a lot of dough. What provider are you with?
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI View Post
Hey Alex, nice to see you on here (I bought your seatbelt receiver a couple of months ago). That is an awesome E30!

For insurance, it helps a lot if you're outside of downtown. Using your in-laws' address will save you a lot of dough. What provider are you with?
Ya, except that is technically insurance fraud as the vehicle needs to be registered at your primary residence.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm definitely going to be sticking with the downtown address...I need to be a good citizen.

My insurance in CT was remarkably low...$750/yr for both cars. My lowest quote so far here was $2000, and that's my girlfriend going through her professional association. Most are in the $3500 range. Some places aren't recognizing my 10 years of clean driving. Lots of companies are completely baffled by cars older than 20 years. Also, the second vehicle seems to be nearly doubling the cost. In the US, adding a second vehicle was an extra $150/year. Also, the coverage here is way different. $1M mandatory liability is an order of magnitude more than I had.

Whatever, I'll just have to lube up and accept it.

Hey Mat, did you get your fuel tank figured out?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm definitely going to be sticking with the downtown address...I need to be a good citizen.

My insurance in CT was remarkably low...$750/yr for both cars. My lowest quote so far here was $2000, and that's my girlfriend going through her professional association. Most are in the $3500 range. Some places aren't recognizing my 10 years of clean driving. Lots of companies are completely baffled by cars older than 20 years. Also, the second vehicle seems to be nearly doubling the cost. In the US, adding a second vehicle was an extra $150/year. Also, the coverage here is way different. $1M mandatory liability is an order of magnitude more than I had.

Whatever, I'll just have to lube up and accept it.

Hey Mat, did you get your fuel tank figured out?
We got 2 E30s for $2500 yearly, most comanies definitely don't like the older cars.

Yes, I ended up changing the tank in the sedan (took four days of breaking rusty bolts) and had to do the vert as well! I think I can safely say I'm on my way to becoming good at doing these...
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: