Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Classics
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #601
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Nice welds, I so need a gas mig welder, the flux core unit I have is just messy splatter city

So what plans for the motor? M20 fly wheel, exhaust cam adjustment, chip?

Also what gears r u running in the diff.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #602
jabela
4th Gear Member

nice work!

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #603
BMe30
all by chance...

Itb's

Gone but not forgotten
BMe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #604
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
Nice welds, I so need a gas mig welder, the flux core unit I have is just messy splatter city

So what plans for the motor? M20 fly wheel, exhaust cam adjustment, chip?

Also what gears r u running in the diff.
Yes, the mig does an okay job, it helps out with noobs like myself spit out some acceptable welds I need to get a handle on tig welding, it would definitely have come in handy for this manifold and turned out much nicer.

Plans are just to leave it alone for now. It already came with a MarkD chip (or so I was told, haven't looked inside yet) so it should be okay as is. I do plan to do some sort of flywheel, because theres no way I'll use that dual mass shit, and I'd like to reuse my race clutch. I was thinking to swap the ring gear on my M10 flywheel, but I haven't looked to see if that was possible yet.

The diff I have in the car right now is a 3.91. However, part of the difficulties of the swap were because of my decision to use an E36 trans because of gearing purposes. It should be nice and lively with this combo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
nice work!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMe30 View Post
Itb's
Haha. Maybe in the future, but not for now! I am just going for reliability and seat time this year.

Got the exhaust header finished up tonight! Turned out as good as it could considering it was all done with a mig welder! Had to heat the #4 runner to get it to sit right, but everything is now minty without any major stress! Paint tomorrow, then install!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #605
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Progress is slow... but progress is progress, right?!

I asked the Dad to give me a hand with adapting the alternator which was a lot more hassle than anticipated. We used an alt mount bracket from an E36, and cut the crap out of it on the milling machine to make it smaller to clear the steering box, and also had some spacers and a few odds and ends made to get the alt to sit at roughly the same spacing as the rest of the pulleys. It turned out really well.

Started to get cracking on the radiator mounting situation. Found some scrap metal bits and went to town! With some scraps from the roll cage piping, and some leftover square tubing from some previous project, I made some bases to place the E36 318 rad in the front end of the car. That red cross brace you can see in the picture above that used to locate the E30 318 rad was chopped off.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #606
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Lots more progress... but not much pics. Basically, all thats left to do before I can fire this bitch up is wiring (all of it) and exhaust. Rad is in, flywheel/trans/driveshaft installed, shifter fabbed up, etc etc.

Mounted the coils under the dash to keep the engine bay a bit tidier. ECU also mounted on the right.

Richie donated a shifter base to the cause, and it was a perfectly clean candidate to chop up. I ended up cutting the front part off, and basically bolting this entire base straight to the chassis. Shifter/linkage feels okay... I'd prefer the throws to be a bit longer... but what bugs me more is the side to side play. Its better than 75% of the BMWs I see everyday, but its not acceptable for a racecar IMO. I will attend to new pins and bushings once the car is up and running. But at least I can select gears now!

Old 07-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #607
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Finished the exhaust system today. Header mounted, looks great!

Rad mounted. Still have to bolt the dip stick on, thats why its leaning against the top hose.

Pic of the entire engine bay as it sits. Going to tackle wiring tomorrow, then I'm almost done!!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #608
sb_600
5th Gear Member

whoa, engine bay looks nice and clean - and you have a TON of room! keep it up!
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #609
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

good stuff
BmW1819 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #610
jabela
4th Gear Member

Nice progress.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #611
craz azn
6th Gear Member

^ Thanks guys!

I had originally planned to take it to Mosport for a lapping day last Wednesday, but I just didn't have enough time to get everything sorted out on it. After I knew I couldn't make it, I sort of just gave up on it. Until yesterday. Wiring is done, kinda hack, but at least it starts, and I can move the car around. Just sorted the throttle cable this even by playing with the stops, and creating some other tabs and such to get everything operating properly. Goal for the end of this week is to tidy the wiring that it doesn't look so bad.

Anyways, so the motor runs, sounds okay I guess. Kind of noisy at the front like a chain noise or tensioner, whatever is in that area, but I think I need to run it a bit more before I make any assumptions on it as I've only run it for less than a minute so far. I am eager to drive it, but damn, it sounds like the epitome of Fart can, ricer, etc etc. The sound this motor emits out the exhaust sounds like faaarking JUNK! I need to get some mufflers ASAP for this thing!

Pics at the end of the week when its tidy and I've attempted at least a bit of a cosmetic restoration to the outer engine covers so it doesn't look so 'junkyard'

Old 08-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #612
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Here it is!! Swap officially DONE! Just now to attend to a couple small issues like shifter bushings, misc gauge sending units, etc etc. But at least its in drivable condition... time to find a track day to test this bitch out!

Kurt came by today to help finish up some of the small details like wrapping the harness, getting everything situated so it looks all nice and cozy in the bay like its supposed to. Also made a small 'muffler' insert today out of an old Ansa exhaust tip... definitely helped get rid of most of the 'ricer' noise that this engine makes. It looks strange, but at least the sound is livable now.

Not sure why this pic got sideways, but oh well!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #613
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
That harness looks sick.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #614
davericher20
black and blue

Wow clean!!!!

Come to the lapping next tuesday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #615
dcramer
5th Gear Member

How do you get the aluminum covers clean ??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: