Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
E36 Power
DEFINE GF

Cycling addicts check in - Need advice on road bike

Looking to get into the world of road bikes, looking to do those 100km hauls every now and then. Maybe catch Lance Armstrong one day!

Ive been looking around for a bike to grab. I wouldnt mind picking up a used one, but that seems a little tough. And Im not sure what ballpark I should be spending, what componets, etc. All seems chinese to me

Im 6'4 215lbs, so Im not sure what size I need. Any help would be aamzing here. From what I gather, I need an XL frame or 59" +++

Im looking at spending around 1-1,300 on it. Soemthing thats going to last me.

So far its narrowed down to a Giant Defy 1 XL. Need to swing by the local bike shop tomorrow and check it for size. It fits the bill (kind of) at $1399

Just need some help and a push in the right direction
__
Old 06-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
colombiano
1st Gear Newbie

Your on the right track with making sure you get the right size first; that to me is the most important part, visit a few bike shops and test out different bikes and see what feels comfortable to you. Used road bikes are not that common but they are out there, once you narrow your size and what bike your after keep on eye on pinkbike.com or kijiji.

Don't know much about giant but specialized makes a entry level road bike called Allez that would do the trick for you starting of.

Hope that helps
colombiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
daytona
6th Gear Member

Cervelo is what I got...love that bike...
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Find a bike shop that will include a bike fitment set-up as part of the purchase. They put you on a trainer and take measurements, then adjust the seat hight, angle, front to back position, as well as stem length, angle and handle bar rotation.

$1000-$1300 will get you a decent bike, but if you plan to do enough riding that you're going to be doing 100km rides, after about a year you're probably going to want a better bike.

As mentioned above pinkbike.com is a good site. You can find some pretty good deals, just finding the size frame you need is tricky... for example this is an awesome bike that's pretty close to your price (new it was probably $2500+) bracket but just a bit too small http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1357649/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: