Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #16
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

The kit looks decent, and very similar to design to the ST coilovers. Realistically though, these units are built down to a price. That price factors in the internal components of the strut/shock, and the steel itself. And that's where the definitive comparisons end.

The true test of these coilovers will be longevity, and that remains untold at this point in time. It would be great to update us as you rack up mileage with these coilovers.

Tell me, do you happen to have any rear end clunk at low speeds? (ie. parking lots)
It looks as if your rear springs are binding to some extent, though perhaps moreso towards the middle. My ST rear springs seem to have settled in a deformed manner, and have been producing a slight clunk since day 1. Curious for an honest evaluation here, I know more than a handful of people have had this issue.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #17
AutoWerkez
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
The kit looks decent, and very similar to design to the ST coilovers. Realistically though, these units are built down to a price. That price factors in the internal components of the strut/shock, and the steel itself. And that's where the definitive comparisons end.

The true test of these coilovers will be longevity, and that remains untold at this point in time. It would be great to update us as you rack up mileage with these coilovers.

Tell me, do you happen to have any rear end clunk at low speeds? (ie. parking lots)
It looks as if your rear springs are binding to some extent, though perhaps moreso towards the middle. My ST rear springs seem to have settled in a deformed manner, and have been producing a slight clunk since day 1. Curious for an honest evaluation here, I know more than a handful of people have had this issue.
I also noticed that they look as if they have binded but when you look closely theres still space between its just very close but I guess thats why they added rubber tubing on the spring in that area in case it were to hit I guess. I was also afraid of noise but nothing so far.

A wise mechanic once told me, "working on cars is like sex, you have to know where to touch and how to push."

Follow Me on Instagram @_instashift !
AutoWerkez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

I have a set of like new Solowerks s1 for the e36 if anyone is interested. Survived driving across the continental US coast to coast, with zero hitches. pm
Old 01-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #19
98RACE
1st Gear Newbie

Any updates with these? How many km's on them?

Thanks
98RACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #20
G12
G12

^ would love to know also!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #21
AutoWerkez
2nd Gear Member

My car has been actually parked for a while cause of financial issues that comes along with being a student, but my buddy has a set installed on his e46 325i and he loves them. He's probably put almost 6-8 k on them by now. No issues, no complaints. Only thing you have to understand they are not bilsteins, so I'd personally only recommend if you want to lower your car for road use only.

A wise mechanic once told me, "working on cars is like sex, you have to know where to touch and how to push."

Follow Me on Instagram @_instashift !
AutoWerkez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:44 AM   #22
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

As a side note, my ST coilovers have been amazing throughout the winter thus far.
-40 Celsius temperatures and no hiccups whatsoever.

I urge those looking into budget coilovers for the E46 to consider Street Edge.
There is a hefty discount on them currently, originally $500, now $350, with another 10% off if you "Like" them on Facebook.

Crazy cheap, and have decent reviews.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #23
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

^ Looks like you guys just missed it. The price is back to $499 per kit.

You can try contacting Kristina Ash at the Suspension Source to see if she'll honour last week's price. Visit their FB page for the 10% off discount. It should also pop-up as an offer on their homepage.

I'm going to be trying out the set in the summer.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #24
mtnbiker
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
^ Looks like you guys just missed it. The price is back to $499 per kit.

You can try contacting Kristina Ash at the Suspension Source to see if she'll honour last week's price. Visit their FB page for the 10% off discount. It should also pop-up as an offer on their homepage.

I'm going to be trying out the set in the summer.
AC, were you referring to this kit:
http://www.streetedgeusa.com/street-...eries-e46-2wd/

Also how much did shipping end up being?

Last edited by mtnbiker; 02-07-2014 at 01:05 PM.
mtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #25
98RACE
1st Gear Newbie

Went with ST's.
98RACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #26
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
AC, were you referring to this kit:
http://www.streetedgeusa.com/street-...eries-e46-2wd/

Also how much did shipping end up being?
Yep. Looks like the non-M version is 399, and the M3 is 499.

Shipping via FedEx was around $65. I pick up my set today, and they said there was no COD... I'll cross my fingers that there are no/ little additional fees.

(UPS tried to charge me $115 on a $200 value shipment from ECS tuning, by comparison)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #27
mtnbiker
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Yep. Looks like the non-M version is 399, and the M3 is 499.

Shipping via FedEx was around $65. I pick up my set today, and they said there was no COD... I'll cross my fingers that there are no/ little additional fees.

(UPS tried to charge me $115 on a $200 value shipment from ECS tuning, by comparison)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
I contacted Kristina, she said the promo is done. So might as well buy it direct from streetedge. Let us know about the cod
Old 02-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #28
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

There was no COD fee. But I anticipate one will arrive in the mail within the next month..

Either way, nobody should be paying the COD. Learn to clear packages yourself with a local CBSA office. There's one next to BMW Mississauga.

My ECS Tuning COD of $115, turned into $30 after I got it cleared myself. Just pay them, and provide proof to UPS/FedEx. Done.

Read this: http://trueler.com/2010/11/24/self-c...brokerage-fee/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: