Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Classics
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #571
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
This past Sunday, I had a chance to finally get the car out on track for the first time this year. I had to do a lot of prep to get the car finished up, and even still with a few missing odds and ends. I haven't put up any updates on the car recently... but basically, the entire interior had to be put back together. The Recaro seat fit into the old side mounts without too much issue, door cards reinstalled, gauge cluster connected, and eyebolts screwed into the body and an old set of clip on Simpson harnesses for the time being. Somehow I haven't got a pic of the interior on my phone, so I'll try to remember to take one tomorrow for the thread.

On the mechanical side of updates, I installed a pair of hubcentric spacers I got a month ago from my buddy Bruce, and put the remaining non-hubcentric spacers to the rear. I also took the front struts out again to install properly sized bumpstops for the shocks, as well as in the rear. I noticed from the dust line on the shocks that I was somewhat limited for shock travel at the current ride height, so luckily with the coilovers, the decision to raise the car up a bit was an easy one. Interestingly, after driving it, and also seeing it out on track, I am wondering if I should go for stiffer spring rates, as it rolls a fair bit. Also another problem area I had was with steering. I couldn't even turn a full turn of the wheel before my wheels started to have an argument with my inner fenders, so when I had the struts out on the hoist, I busted out the hammer, and carefully clearanced the edges of the inner fender to help out a bit without going overboard:

Now at least I can turn one full turn of the wheel, but steering stops are next on the To Do list.

So the lapping day I decided to do was with the Trillium club held at the DDT at Mosport. Unfortunately, they had some timing issues with the AutoX, so the lapping group that should have started at 1pm ended up starting at nearly 3pm. So much for getting there early! I had asked Kurt to give me a hand with the car for the day, so we made use of the time to do a few last minute things on the car like messing with the coilover heights, getting the steering wheel straight, etc. Here is a pic of the car for good measure before we went out on track

I am just uploading the video now, so I'll have to post it tomorrow... but for the most part, it was reasonably successful. Although, the day wasn't without some question marks. Finally, with working gauges, I could monitor what was happening with the engine, and I was surprised to find that it runs pretty hot. Both Oil and Water temps were at 100C, with Oil sometimes creeping around 110C on track... and that was only revving to roughly 5k rpm! Basically, the only major issue was that the rad started to leak towards the end of the day, so I figured I'd call it a day since the last two times I've had the car out, it wouldn't drive up the trailer on its own power at the end of the day But yeah, my early decision to go with the 318 rad has definitely backfired, as now all three of the rads that I've had ended up leaking. Back to the drawing board for that solution!

On the good side of things, the suspension, driveline, and interior ergonomics were spot on! The driveline performed well, shifting was positive and trouble-free. And I was very happy with the seating position and pedal layout, as the new dead pedal was a perfect fit for me. I got a chance to mess around with the shocks during the first session too, which is where I started to think that I could have used more spring, but I'll have to put some more thought into that a bit later.

Tomorrow I'll post the on-track video and give some more feedback on it.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #572
jabela
4th Gear Member

I have some chase action video from when Kurt was driving. I'll post it there when I upload it. Car looked and sounded great.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #573
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Was good to finally see the car out running at the track this weekend
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #574
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Rudy was kind enough to let me drive the car for a session!

I had to learn the car a bit and the track but I had a blast. Such a fun car to drive. I wish I had a little more time to pick up the pace in a few corners but I ended up putting two wheels off which scared the shit out of me since it isn't my car. So I pulled off right away thinking I destroyed the front spoiler but it turned out to be fine. The session ended up being red flagged anyway.

I was surprised of the speed the car had. I was definitely expecting it to be slower. The only issue I found was the old school steering. Needs a lot of lock to get around certain corners! My next car is definitely going to have floor mounted pedals as well. Loved them.

I'm excited to see John's footage.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread

Last edited by doogee; 05-28-2013 at 10:07 AM.
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #575
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

lol... footage of me limping off track after losing both accessory belts during the second lapping session
Old 05-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #576
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
I have some chase action video from when Kurt was driving. I'll post it there when I upload it. Car looked and sounded great.
Yes please do. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
Was good to finally see the car out running at the track this weekend
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
... but I ended up putting two wheels off
LAWL.

So yeah, here is my point of view from in the car from the first session out.

I went out first, mainly to feel out the car... Shocks on full soft. Everything felt okay... front tires were absolutely JUNK! Well, at least compared to the rear which was grip city, coupled with the fact it had no torque to break the wheels loose at all haha. Halfway through the session I stopped to adjust tire pressure and set the shocks to full stiff to see what kind of range I had to work with. I am very pleased that I could notice a fair difference from one end of the range to another... although I may need to look into spring rates some more. I'd like to try at least 100# more all around and see how it does, but I want to make sure the car is reliable and safe first before chasing my tail on setup details.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #577
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Was gonna see if you wanted to hit Cayuga Wednesday night with it, but its $90 plus tax for the evening lapping, so Graeme and I decided to skip it
Old 05-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #578
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Was gonna see if you wanted to hit Cayuga Wednesday night with it, but its $90 plus tax for the evening lapping, so Graeme and I decided to skip it
FYI Richie, I think you might black flagged at Cayuga for exceeding the dB limit with those straight pipes.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #579
jabela
4th Gear Member

Here's the case cam video I have. I thought Rudy was just taking it easy while shaking down his 2002. Found out later that it was just Kurt driving someone's car very carefully.
Still managed to pull away from me on the straights... my 2.5L just isn't cutting it for me.
In a previous session with Rudy driving his 2002, we never caught up to each other on track, so we must have been pretty similar in lap times.

www.modernapothecary.ca
Old 05-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #580
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
FYI Richie, I think you might black flagged at Cayuga for exceeding the dB limit with those straight pipes.
Was it that bad lapping? Or just at the start box?

Not gonna have time this week to muffler it for mosport next weekend
Old 05-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #581
jabela
4th Gear Member

Quote:
The only issue I found was the old school steering. Needs a lot of lock to get around certain corners!
lol... I just compared our videos and it looks like I needed 90 degrees more lock on the tightest corner... so much for old school! The slow steering is one of my pet peeves on my car. Only benefit is precision at high speeds, but when the back end gets loose I feel like battleship cranking the tiller.

www.modernapothecary.ca
Old 05-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #582
jabela
4th Gear Member

Quote:

It was pretty loud any time you're on the throttle. I was also thinking that you would exceed dB levels.

www.modernapothecary.ca
Old 05-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #583
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:

Any car without a muffler will fail their sound regulations. Don't waste your time going there without muffler. I guarantee they'll send you home.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #584
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Any car without a muffler will fail their sound regulations. Don't waste your time going there without muffler. I guarantee they'll send you home.
Boo Will see what I have in the shop to toss on then.

On a thread specific note, will the 2002 be at mosport this weekend?
Old 05-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #585
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Nice project Rudy!
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: