This past Sunday, I had a chance to finally get the car out on track for the first time this year. I had to do a lot of prep to get the car finished up, and even still with a few missing odds and ends. I haven't put up any updates on the car recently... but basically, the entire interior had to be put back together. The Recaro seat fit into the old side mounts without too much issue, door cards reinstalled, gauge cluster connected, and eyebolts screwed into the body and an old set of clip on Simpson harnesses for the time being. Somehow I haven't got a pic of the interior on my phone, so I'll try to remember to take one tomorrow for the thread.
On the mechanical side of updates, I installed a pair of hubcentric spacers I got a month ago from my buddy Bruce, and put the remaining non-hubcentric spacers to the rear. I also took the front struts out again to install properly sized bumpstops for the shocks, as well as in the rear. I noticed from the dust line on the shocks that I was somewhat limited for shock travel at the current ride height, so luckily with the coilovers, the decision to raise the car up a bit was an easy one. Interestingly, after driving it, and also seeing it out on track, I am wondering if I should go for stiffer spring rates, as it rolls a fair bit. Also another problem area I had was with steering. I couldn't even turn a full turn of the wheel before my wheels started to have an argument with my inner fenders, so when I had the struts out on the hoist, I busted out the hammer, and carefully clearanced the edges of the inner fender to help out a bit without going overboard:
Now at least I can turn one full turn of the wheel, but steering stops are next on the To Do list.
So the lapping day I decided to do was with the Trillium club held at the DDT at Mosport. Unfortunately, they had some timing issues with the AutoX, so the lapping group that should have started at 1pm ended up starting at nearly 3pm. So much for getting there early! I had asked Kurt to give me a hand with the car for the day, so we made use of the time to do a few last minute things on the car like messing with the coilover heights, getting the steering wheel straight, etc. Here is a pic of the car for good measure before we went out on track
I am just uploading the video now, so I'll have to post it tomorrow... but for the most part, it was reasonably successful. Although, the day wasn't without some question marks. Finally, with working gauges, I could monitor what was happening with the engine, and I was surprised to find that it runs pretty hot. Both Oil and Water temps were at 100C, with Oil sometimes creeping around 110C on track... and that was only revving to roughly 5k rpm! Basically, the only major issue was that the rad started to leak towards the end of the day, so I figured I'd call it a day since the last two times I've had the car out, it wouldn't drive up the trailer on its own power at the end of the day
But yeah, my early decision to go with the 318 rad has definitely backfired, as now all three of the rads that I've had ended up leaking. Back to the drawing board for that solution!
On the good side of things, the suspension, driveline, and interior ergonomics were spot on! The driveline performed well, shifting was positive and trouble-free. And I was very happy with the seating position and pedal layout, as the new dead pedal was a perfect fit for me. I got a chance to mess around with the shocks during the first session too, which is where I started to think that I could have used more spring, but I'll have to put some more thought into that a bit later.
Tomorrow I'll post the on-track video and give some more feedback on it.