Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
bigcletus
2nd Gear Member

radiator/cooling system rebuild

I have owned my 03 e39 530i for 3 years. It has 118kms on it. When I bought it I changed the water pump, thermostat and a couple of hoses (among other things, ig coils, Vanos kit, all fluids, except tranny). This coming November or December I will becoming a snow bird in either TX or FL. Before I go I plan on getting the rad and hoses replaced, the fan clutch, fan. I don't want to get stranded due to warped engine.

I would like to go to the electric fan instead of the clutch type. Can anyone advise on where to get it and what involved ??

So, my list, so far looks like this:

Replace:

Rad
all hoses
fan blades
clutch (with electric if possible).

What would be the better brands? I'm thinking Behr, so far for the rad, and OEM (BMW)for the smaller parts (unless you guys can suggest OEM that are as good.. Should the rad mounts also be changed -over ??

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated, including sources.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
This may be a wild thought, why not use E46 electric fan set up? after all it is all M54 and it is a factory set up, I'd also change the heater exchange hose from the firewall to the block.

Otherwise you should be good to go, there are lots of BMW specific shops in TX/FL after all, parts are probably lot cheaper too.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
bigcletus
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for that "themadchigga"
Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
bigcletus
2nd Gear Member

One more question, "themadchigga" : Do you know anyone that has done the conversion ?? I am VERY curious and interested in this..
Thanks
Old 04-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
kapetajr
InCognegro

Got all my stuff from Autohausaz, water pump i went with a Stewart pump. Wahle thermo, and behr expansion tank. Also did the brass bleed screw, and aluminum water pump pulley and belts.

electric fan conversion:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=509992

I myself am probably going go with a ford Taurus or lincoln Mk vIII fan with a PMW. i may now also consider the e46 route as Chigga suggested.

1992 Toyota Soarer BPU
1999 BMW 528i/5spd
kapetajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
bigcletus
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I've seen that link....It sounds like a great, useful mod...better than stock...
Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
mech9T8
3rd Gear Member

I'll doing the electric fan this year. I actually had all the parts last year but didn't get around to doing it.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
bigcletus
2nd Gear Member

Hey Mech98T, please let me, or "us" know, how it all turns out. I'm looking at doing in early fall..
Thanks
Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
bigcletus
2nd Gear Member

I just checked my rad's "date of birth": 17 January 2003...Original rad, so I guess I'm due.....
Old 04-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
There are many ways to do the electric fan mod, there's the cheapo way that use whatever other make's set ups with appropriate control module, Ford is a popular option since they flow similar amount if not more than BMW fans.

The expensive but straight bolt on way is Zionville, I like their shroud + expansion tank + fan upgrade, it costs more but you don't have to deal with sourcing a fan etc.

http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...de/AASETII.htm
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
bigcletus
2nd Gear Member

I looked at the Zionville..but yeah, $1200 is a bit too rich for me right now. I'll go with a Behr rad and overflow tank, & hoses, but will go with Summit racing for the fan. I spoke to my Indy yesterday and he told me its quite a straight forward job...for him, not me lol.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: