Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
nickpetra535
2nd Gear Member

1989 e34 535i overheating

Hello. I recently bought a 535i e34. I drove it for 3 days with no problems, then I brought it into my school's shop to fix the power steering (the belt wasn't on tight enough but the previous owner thought the pump might be seized). While doing this I decided to see what the car needed in terms of suspension. It needed upper and lower control arms, and from sway bar links. It also needed an oil pan gasket BADLY. So I replaced the suspension parts and moved onto the oil pan. To take these pans out you have to raise the engine, which I did. I removed the power steering belt to get at the oil pan better because it was sorta in the way. After all that was done and I got the gasket on and put the pan back in, I put the power steering belt back on, but I wasn't sure which pully it went on, but I assumed it was the smaller pully in the middle. It was in the shop for nearly 2 weeks, and since I've gotten it out its been overheating. I think it either has to be the thermostat, or maybe I put the belt on the wrong pully and somehow the water pump is integrated into the power steering somehow... Another thing it could be is, in order to raise the engine high enough I had to move the coolant filler bottle thing that's on the firewall. I just undid the 2 bolts that hold it there and pulled it up a bit. I don't understand how it drove for 3 days with not going passed the half way mark, then not driven for almost 2 weeks and now it decides to climb passed the 3/4 mark. Any suggestions or thoughts of what it might be?
nickpetra535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
nickpetra535
2nd Gear Member

The fan shroud also has a smallish crack in it from lifting the engine
Old 04-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Kirk930
2nd Gear Member

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/Overheating.htm

'87 Porsche 930 (B&B exhaust, SC cams, Garrett hybrid turbo, adjustable boost control, Andial fuel enrichment - 400 h.p.) - SOLD

'97 540i - The daily grind mobile
Kirk930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
nickpetra535
2nd Gear Member

Resolved. All I had to do was bleed the coolant -.- lol
Old 08-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
captain E34
Sliding Sideways

dumbass

1987 BMW 535i (Sold)