Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member
 
wolf_e39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: toronto
Posts: 210
budget paint

ok well after thinking and thinking on how to fix this i have come to a single solution.
my car is full of little stone chips and small scratches all over. and it really bugs the hell out of me.
the body is in perfect condition no dents or rust and the color is the common gloss black.
now my only problem is budget at this point

so my question for your guys is where can i have my car fully repainted but under 2000$
i have tried to polish out the scratches but they are too deep and paint is my only option.
wolf_e39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
kruler
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: OAKVILLE
Posts: 788
uh oh, better get Maaco.
kruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...
 
Ceeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,337
honestly...to get it properly done -where chrome and rubber needs removing you are looking at a min 3k. Budget means cheapy job which in then end you may not be happy with. it's all in the prep. not the paint.
__________________

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member
 
wolf_e39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: toronto
Posts: 210
what if i remove the trim and mask everything off my self i can do most of the work my self and they would have to do it sand it down and re paint it.
also what if i get one of those corrective pens would i be able to rectify all the stone chips and scratches ?

i am open to any suggestions you guys have on fixing the problem

thank you
wolf_e39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy
 
bmwm5lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 15,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_e39 View Post
what if i remove the trim and mask everything off my self i can do most of the work my self and they would have to do it sand it down and re paint it.
also what if i get one of those corrective pens would i be able to rectify all the stone chips and scratches ?
This is what I did with my old M5, I removed everything I wanted to remove and dropped off the car ready to be sanded/imperfections fixed/painted. I saved myself about 1-1500$ by doing that. The shop that did it was RS auto in etobicoke, I can't say the job was 100%% but for the amount I paid I was more than happy with the result, in fact, I am going to go see him about painting my front bumper (it will be full of stone chips in one summer time anyway). Now that I am more handy with a proper polisher, many of the imperfections left by even the greatest body shops, can be corrected with some wet sanding and cutting/polishing.
Just some 2 cents.

Deep scratches with a paint touch up are possible, fill it, let it dry, wet sand it gently and then cut/polish.
__________________
www.enthusiastauto.caNeed a car???

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member
 
wolf_e39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: toronto
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
This is what I did with my old M5, I removed everything I wanted to remove and dropped off the car ready to be sanded/imperfections fixed/painted. I saved myself about 1-1500$ by doing that. The shop that did it was RS auto in etobicoke, I can't say the job was 100%% but for the amount I paid I was more than happy with the result, in fact, I am going to go see him about painting my front bumper (it will be full of stone chips in one summer time anyway). Now that I am more handy with a proper polisher, many of the imperfections left by even the greatest body shops, can be corrected with some wet sanding and cutting/polishing.
Just some 2 cents.

Deep scratches with a paint touch up are possible, fill it, let it dry, wet sand it gently and then cut/polish.
yea that's what i had in mine as well do everything i can my self then give the car to the shop

yes i thinking the first thing i will do it get one of those paint corrector pens and fill everything in then lightly sand it and polish it and see how it will look,
if that fail i will take everything off the car and send it to the shop
wolf_e39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...
 
Ceeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_e39 View Post
yea that's what i had in mine as well do everything i can my self then give the car to the shop

yes i thinking the first thing i will do it get one of those paint corrector pens and fill everything in then lightly sand it and polish it and see how it will look,
if that fail i will take everything off the car and send it to the shop
ummm...you gotta be kidding me??

For the amount of time and effort in doing that? you'll have probably stripped and masked your car for paint. lol

There are different hardeners in the paint stick then professional applied paint. I've worked with touch up and found for some small things it's ok. but you gotta know what you're doing when you build up and sand down imperfections. if you feel like using your car as a learning tool -fine. But better off just giving to people who know what they're doing and pay the piper~~!
__________________

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member
 
wolf_e39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: toronto
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeker View Post
ummm...you gotta be kidding me??

For the amount of time and effort in doing that? you'll have probably stripped and masked your car for paint. lol

There are different hardeners in the paint stick then professional applied paint. I've worked with touch up and found for some small things it's ok. but you gotta know what you're doing when you build up and sand down imperfections. if you feel like using your car as a learning tool -fine. But better off just giving to people who know what they're doing and pay the piper~~!
i have filled stone chips before so i am fairly confident i can do a good job on the stone chips. the scratches are the ones i need to be careful as they come in different shapes and sizes and i need to be very delicate

the way i did with the stone chips was to get a very fine brush and black paint ( my color code is 668 so it is the normal gloss black that you can find anywhere ) and carefully and gradually fill them up then polish the s*** out of the area and it worked amassing. now on the scratches i need to be extra careful and it will be really time consuming but i really think i can do it, if it will not be 100% it will be at leas greatly improved and not noticeable.
wolf_e39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
windwagen
6th Gear Member
 
windwagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,809
So? Did you get it painted? I managed to polish out some wicked scratches, courtesy of my youngest daughter and her scooter....

Hey ... We're you at Trade Secret last week?
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member
 
wolf_e39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: toronto
Posts: 210
hey windwagon i ended up just fixing some of the scratches and gave the new mumpers to the body shop only
i had to leave to europe on a business trip so the car is in storage for now so i have not been at the trade secret event
wolf_e39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
windwagen
6th Gear Member
 
windwagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,809
Trade Secet is a print factory. I saw a car just like yours with a euro plate pull out as I arrived. I could have sworn the plate said Wolf someting on it... Now I realize your plate says "lup" ... which is kinda like wolf, but not English....

Me bad
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member
 
wolf_e39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: toronto
Posts: 210
oo yea its the romanian word for wolf
yea it could not have been me as i have been in europe for the last 2 weeks ... unless someone has taken my car out without me knowing :/
wolf_e39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
windwagen
6th Gear Member
 
windwagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,809
I wish I was in Europe right now....sigh....
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member
 
wolf_e39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: toronto
Posts: 210
europe is fantastic i drove trought some incredible alpine roads and also i fell in love with germany and their autobahn
i just wish i had my bmw in stead of a citroen c5 but even so i have to say it is an incredible feeling to pass a cop car doing 225Km/h
wolf_e39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
windwagen
6th Gear Member
 
windwagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,809
Nice!!! I was in Europe shortly after graduation. We mostly took the train, but my GF and I rented a Opel Corsa in Germany. It mxed out at 140kph - going downhill! We got blown away by a 1970s VW van!!!
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.