Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Arbioo
1st Gear Newbie

Automatic Open and Close Convertible Top With FOB key

I've seen some videos on youtube with these guys that open the rag top with just the FOB key...

I asked BMW and they told me they cant do that .. its only in the Europe..

Anyone locally that does this??? its apparently a computer mod that has to be done??
Arbioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
starbuck
2nd Gear Member

Isn't this an option on the computer that can be active, where you hold the lock/unlock button on the key to open and close the top?

Question OP, when you hold the unlock button, do your windows roll down?
starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
madonthemike
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbioo View Post
I've seen some videos on youtube with these guys that open the rag top with just the FOB key...

I asked BMW and they told me they cant do that .. its only in the Europe..

Anyone locally that does this??? its apparently a computer mod that has to be done??
Thats BS, this can be done with NCSExpert, its just a matter of coding either your CVM or GM5 control unit (cant remember which one), 5min job. If you have the software (just google NCSExpert) you can do it yourself.

CVM - Vert Module
GM5 - Central Body Electronics

So basically what it is you need the cable (<$30) + software (all over the internet) and read out some of the parameters in the GM5 module:

KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB : convertible top opens by holding the open button on remote..Or opens all windows & sun roof on non convertible
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB : convertible top closes by holding the close button on remote..Or closes all windows &sun roof on non convertible

Im pretty sure if you can set the above parameters to active, you will be able to drop top/close top with remote. I assume its currently deactivated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
Isn't this an option on the computer that can be active, where you hold the lock/unlock button on the key to open and close the top?
Exaclty
Question OP, when you hold the unlock button, do your windows roll down?
yeah simple coding, when I got my car a few months ago it wouldnt do anything, now I can roll up/down windows, get blinkers to flash upon lock/unlock, lock doors at certain speed etc..

Last edited by madonthemike; 04-20-2013 at 09:57 PM.
madonthemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Effay
2nd Gear Member

would PA soft work for this? i would like to change some of the options on my e46
Effay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
madonthemike
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effay View Post
would PA soft work for this? i would like to change some of the options on my e46
Yes it should, Ive personally never used it, but my understanding is that PA soft is a more user friendly way of setting different options/coding. It gives you various options you can tick on/off - its a good way of going about if you dont feel comfortable with factory tools like NCSExpert etc..
madonthemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Effay
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonthemike View Post
Yes it should, Ive personally never used it, but my understanding is that PA soft is a more user friendly way of setting different options/coding. It gives you various options you can tick on/off - its a good way of going about if you dont feel comfortable with factory tools like NCSExpert etc..
thanks , I plan on getting a PA soft unit very soon. just wanted to see before I buy.

Thanks for the help ill let you know how it goes
Effay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
Arbioo
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonthemike View Post
Thats BS, this can be done with NCSExpert, its just a matter of coding either your CVM or GM5 control unit (cant remember which one), 5min job. If you have the software (just google NCSExpert) you can do it yourself.

CVM - Vert Module
GM5 - Central Body Electronics

So basically what it is you need the cable (<$30) + software (all over the internet) and read out some of the parameters in the GM5 module:

KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB : convertible top opens by holding the open button on remote..Or opens all windows & sun roof on non convertible
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB : convertible top closes by holding the close button on remote..Or closes all windows &sun roof on non convertible

Im pretty sure if you can set the above parameters to active, you will be able to drop top/close top with remote. I assume its currently deactivated.

yeah simple coding, when I got my car a few months ago it wouldnt do anything, now I can roll up/down windows, get blinkers to flash upon lock/unlock, lock doors at certain speed etc..
madonthemike

where do I get this stuff.. Im a newbie .... can you please help me out?? you just went over my head..
Old 04-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
tiquitaca
1st Gear Newbie

I found a guy on Maxbimmer who does this. He coded my E46 M3 vert.
tiquitaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
tthai4
2nd Gear Member

I just bought a module for my e46 vert... i originally was saving up for a SmartTOP but thats about 300+, i did some youtube/google search and came across this:

http://www.fbc-electronics.com/en/Home.aspx

i bought the open/close module for 90 dollars shipped (came in 5 days from italy). Other modules and features are available too.

the website itself is a tad weird/sketchy so i just contact him via email and he sent me a paypal invoice. His name is Fabio.

Didnt know about coding, would have went that route, seems cheaper.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Arbioo
1st Gear Newbie

well I tried it without know what will happen, thought my windows would open or nothing.. the top actually opened up ... but I cant get it to close..

any ideas?
Old 04-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
davericher20
black and blue

Can't get it to close from the fob? Or close altogether? I think the system is only designed to open it from the fob, though I've been wrong once before in my life, and even then...I was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
scott_88
wgn_drgn

It can definitely be done. Mine was done from factory. It's a pretty sweet feature, but I want to recode mine such that it only opens the windows in a different order. Right now it is front --> back --> sunroof. I want sunroof --> front --> backs.

Perhaps I'm being a bit simple-minded here, but I'm pretty sure Rocco at RMP can do it. He did my DRL deletes so he definitely has the equipment to at least hook up to your bimmer and screw with the software.
scott_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
azn_oo1
2nd Gear Member

i can open and close the top with my key fob. Came with the car programmed from dealer
azn_oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
Arbioo
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_oo1 View Post
i can open and close the top with my key fob. Came with the car programmed from dealer
I get mine to open, but cant close it... what do you press???

thanks
Old 05-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
tiquitaca
1st Gear Newbie

Press the lock button once and then press and hold it until the top closes.
tiquitaca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: