Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

So did you buy it or not.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #17
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

I think I'm going for it. Although, it isn't a prime example of a 5, it has been owned by a mechanic who has a lift in his own garage and who has spent the time to do the power side (he calims the open diff favours this side) LCA bushings, arm and both rear wheel bearings (costly mechanic jobs). He's done the big ass bushings in the front with polyurethane ones (i forgot what they're called).

I'm gonna have a PPI done on it ASAP and seal it.
limenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

I think you'll find that the issues not so bad.

Good luck
Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #19
windwagen
6th Gear Member

My 540 had almost 300,000 km on the clock when I sold it. It still drove like new and pulled like a champ. It was replaced by a company car, otherwise I would have kept it. It broke a window reg and wore out some suspension parts. Otherwise, just regular maintenance.

5 years later, I got another e39 ...m5. So either I'm a fool, or these cars are solid.... Ok, I'm prolly a fool anyway...

I'm glad you went for it! Enjoy! Where else can you get 310 ft lb, 290 hp and 6 gears for 3k?
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:30 AM   #20
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

Ended up finishing exams too late and seeing two of the E39s I was eying sold.

I found a 2001 E39 with the m-sport package but without the 6spd manual. It said 101000km but the owner talked to me later and told me after reviewing the UVIP, the car probably had 210k~ km with 3 previous owners. Although it looks like a good deal, a post-180k E39 with little to no service records isn't what I'm looking for, especially if it's auto.

I guess the hunt continues.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #21
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Get a stick!
Old 04-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #22
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

What is the accumulated price of getting these replaced or DIYing what you can for these:

-water pump (This sounds like a shop job for sure)
-valley pan gasket
-alternator & battery
-powersteering pump
-oil pan gasket
-valve cover gaskets
-drive belt
-tensioner with idler pulley

I'm trying to gauge how much $ I'll have to put into a car post 180k with little-no service records.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #23
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Water pump - helped a friend with his - not that hard - took an afternoon.
Battery - about $100 at Walmart - 5 minutes to swap
Valve cover gaskets - never did it but I don't think it's a big deal
Belts/tensioner - nothing special - no tougher than any other car

Valley pan - I could be wrong, but I think these are more of an issue on the newer valvetronic motors.

Alternator is quite pricey (I think $200+), but my 540 alternator was still original at almost 300k km

Powersteering pump - I don't think I've ever heard of this being a common failure.

As for a car with no history, it is what it is - get an inspection. Check the fluids. A well maintained car would at least have fluids in good condition - esp the oil. My experience with these cars has been awesome. Esp with advice from forums like this one, I've saved tons of dough on repairs. I find that these cars are easier to work on too. Parts aren't seized up as much, not as many scraped knuckles.... I was helping my dad with his Caddy today and I was rudely reminded of that!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #24
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by limenuke View Post
What is the accumulated price of getting these replaced or DIYing what you can for these:

-water pump (This sounds like a shop job for sure)
-valley pan gasket
-alternator & battery
-powersteering pump
-oil pan gasket
-valve cover gaskets
-drive belt
-tensioner with idler pulley

I'm trying to gauge how much $ I'll have to put into a car post 180k with little-no service records.
If done at once, at a good shop with nice parts, $2-3k easy.

P.S just a new alternator from BMW (on 99+ cars) is $1200!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #25
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

^ Thanks Fil! I like knowing how much extra I'll be dropping to keep a car properly maintained.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ477219234

I saw this on Kijiji. Looks alright, but owner mentions nothing about service, which makes me wonder how much it's worth. Regardless, 540i in Manual + M-package is pretty desirable. Maybe someone here will pick it up (because I can't!)

I won't actually be looking for cars in Toronto starting from now because I'll be flying down to work in Cupertino, California for the next 4 months. Checked the SF Bay craigslist and found no good E39s so far.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:42 AM   #26
Vavan
frankieflowerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by limenuke View Post
Ended up finishing exams too late and seeing two of the E39s I was eying sold.

I found a 2001 E39 with the m-sport package but without the 6spd manual. It said 101000km but the owner talked to me later and told me after reviewing the UVIP, the car probably had 210k~ km with 3 previous owners. Although it looks like a good deal, a post-180k E39 with little to no service records isn't what I'm looking for, especially if it's auto.

I guess the hunt continues.
By the way, I just picked up this car yesterday, it does have around 200K. Minor suspension issues, but overall a very solid car. Interior mint and engine pulls hard. So far happy with it. Good luck with your search! Now a days it's hard to find a decent one, especially one that somebody took a good care of it.
VW MK6 Jetta TDI
BMW E39 540IA
VW MK4 VR6
Vavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #27
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vavan View Post
By the way, I just picked up this car yesterday, it does have around 200K. Minor suspension issues, but overall a very solid car. Interior mint and engine pulls hard. So far happy with it. Good luck with your search! Now a days it's hard to find a decent one, especially one that somebody took a good care of it.

One of the front end link was gone and something in the exhaust system he said. How much did you end up getting it for?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: