Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #46
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bmwguy View Post
Well this is a BMW site...so... Honda's will get made fun of. That the reality.my buddy has a vetech all that gsr stuff he toke me for a ride...it just don't do it for me and i told him..you just cant take a knife to a gun fight.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #47
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

Talking

Lol
Old 04-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #48
BMW_M_POWER
E.A.P

Attached Images
File Type: jpg scootervtec.jpg (75.1 KB, 89 views)
BMW_M_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #49
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

Oh no....your been a bad boy..that guy with the mint red m5 is going to get mad at you.!!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #50
BMW_M_POWER
E.A.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
You may not be but many others are. No need to call it "crap." Everyone has different taste - what's appealing to you may not be to another, and vice versa. And there are loads of BMW guys running mild stretch and poke setups which look amazing. Extreme stretch and poke may be more common in the VW/JDM crowd though.

Anyways, best of luck with your video, OP.
Excessive "Poke and stretch" is only for appearance and not practicality. I can go over plenty of reasons why its bad:

1) Rims exposed to more curb rash since there is no more tire wall protection
2) Excessive inflation required to prevent heavy wear on edges
3) Possibility of tire coming off the bead
4) Premature wear and tear on suspension components

I can only agree that mild setup is acceptable but again that is my opinion and people are allowed to do what ever they want.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #51
dbworld4k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_M_POWER View Post
Excessive "Poke and stretch" is only for appearance and not practicality. I can go over plenty of reasons why its bad:

1) Rims exposed to more curb rash since there is no more tire wall protection
2) Excessive inflation required to prevent heavy wear on edges
3) Possibility of tire coming off the bead
4) Premature wear and tear on suspension components

I can only agree that mild setup is acceptable but again that is my opinion and people are allowed to do what ever they want.
I fully and respectfully disagree with regards to the setup being impractical.

1) If you need a bubbly tire to protect your rim from curb rash, then you probably shouldn't park so close to curbs to begin with.
2) False. I always ran OEM inflation specifications. Never had any issues due to tire pressures.
3) It's possible, but not all that probable. Unless of course it is a VERY extreme stretch that is put under stressful conditions, then yeah.
4) False.

I have had everything from 235/35/19 all the way to 275/30/19 on my old 9.5" wide wheels. Each setup (235, 245, 255, 265, and 275) was at some point thrashed without remorse on the track (mostly at TMP Cayuga). Not once did the tire size ever have a detrimental effect attributable to the stretch. I did burnouts, peel outs, drifts, anything and everything imaginable to stress the tires to their absolute limits and never experienced any failures or concerns whatsoever. Some might consider the 235 on a 9.5" to be an extreme stretch, or my 235 on a 10" - others may consider it mild. Depends where you fall on the spectrum. Regardless, the impracticality claims that are rampant online are purely based off wild conjecture and perpetuating hearsay than actual experience, even if anecdotal.

But, as I said before, to each his own.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #52
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:

1) If you need a bubbly tire to protect your rim from curb rash, then you probably shouldn't park so close to curbs to begin with.
2) False. I always ran OEM inflation specifications. Never had any issues due to tire pressures.
3) It's possible, but not all that probable. Unless of course it is a VERY extreme stretch that is put under stressful conditions, then yeah.
4) False.

I have had everything from 235/35/19 all the way to 275/30/19 on my old 9.5" wide wheels. Each setup (235, 245, 255, 265, and 275) was at some point thrashed without remorse on the track (mostly at TMP Cayuga). Not once did the tire size ever have a detrimental effect attributable to the stretch. I did burnouts, peel outs, drifts, anything and everything imaginable to stress the tires to their absolute limits and never experienced any failures or concerns whatsoever. Some might consider the 235 on a 9.5" to be an extreme stretch, or my 235 on a 10" - others may consider it mild. Depends where you fall on the spectrum. Regardless, the impracticality claims that are rampant online are purely based off wild conjecture and perpetuating hearsay than actual experience, even if anecdotal.

Speaking in general, assuming that all tires are the same brand and compound, the tire size that gives you the fastest lap time (assuming optimized tire pressures) is the best, and by that definition any other tire size will have a detrimental effect, regardless of whether or not it's stretch or meat.

I'd have a hard time believing that if you were to put the stig on Cayuga with a 330ci with 235 tires and then again with 275 tires on the same day that there would be no discernible difference in lap times.

Also, depending on the aspect ratio of the tire, 9.5" is the upper end of the rim width range for some 235 tires, so it's not exactly extreme stretch.

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 04-09-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #53
dbworld4k
Addict

I was never talking about fastest lap times. A better suited tire would give you the best results; that's painfully obvious.

When I said "there was no detrimental effect strictly attributable to tire stretch," I was speaking with respect to the four points BMW_M_Power outlined and to which I replied. The discussion is about practicality, tire pressures, bead holding, etc. not lap records.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #54
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Fair enough, when you said "Not once did the tire size ever have a detrimental effect attributable to the stretch." I took it as more of a general statement.

And as painfully obvious as it is, I've seen enough people rocking stretched tires make some pretty ridiculous claims with regards to handling performance so I was a bit skeptical lol

Carry on.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #55
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

On this note, i'm running OE tire sizing (on the M3) with wider wheels all-around (creating a stretch) - Michelin Pilot Super Sports 225/40 on 9.5" front and 255/35 on 11" rear - and I still post competitive times at the autoslalom both parking lots and Mosport DDT. My bead has never popped off going sideways at 80km/h! - yet

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #56
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

That's because you drive like a mad man
Old 04-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #57
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

any excessive poke/stretch is silly regardless of what car it ends up on.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #58
BMW_M_POWER
E.A.P

Quote:

4) False.

When I initially made the comment I was referring to the "excessive stretch" as seen in the video and not aimed at anyone here in particular. The specifications you posted above are moderate and NOT excessive. JDM/VW stretching of tires on the other hand is impractical and senseless therefore falls under the four points I had listed above.

Below are the pictures of some retarded "stretch and poke" IMHO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_0051-1.jpg (86.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01550-1.jpg (117.4 KB, 37 views)

BMW E46 330i ZHP, E36 Vert, E36 M3
Old 04-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #59
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

^^^ I completely agree with you. That's just ridiculous. You can always count on someone out there taking things to the extreme!

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #60
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_M_POWER View Post
JDM/VW stretching of tires on the other hand is impractical and senseless therefore falls under the four points I had listed above.
Lol again with restricting it to brand. It's not only those circles.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: