Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

E39 fun car purchase

Looking at a decent mileage (230k km) E39. Driven by old man. 6 speed,

Really interested in it. I was able to put up with a ratty old rusted and neglected E36. This one looks like it doesn't have any stupid amounts of damage, little/no body rust, but a small chip of rust on the lip of the trunk.

What is there to look out for on a 540i from 1998? Seller says he needs the seatbelt holster replaced (had it done in my old E36 as well), the ABS sensor and an o2 sensor.

Things I tend to be worried about on old BMWs
1) Plastic cooling system ready to fall apart?
2) Motor mounts getting weak (and potentially ****ing up the entire car on a hard launch, like my E36)
3) E36 had subframe issues. What about the E39?
4) Trunk wireharness dying.
5) E-brakes dying (oh god I don't want to buy MORE backing discs and deal with those god-damn drum brake springs)
6) Potential syncros problem...will have to test drive to know if there's a problem here.
7) Dying bushings EVERYWHERE.

Anything I missed? The car looks to be a beauty and well taken care of which is why I'm actually considering purchasing it.

It's a V8 so...is it safe to assume it'll be a pig on gas? 11-14L/100km?

That said, how much should I expect to pay to upgrade to a set of clear headlights?

Thanks guys!

(EDIT: I've already read through the stickies, so no sense in asking me anything about that!)

Last edited by limenuke; 04-08-2013 at 10:55 PM.
limenuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: