Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #241
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatose View Post
How'd you get those out? I was thinking about dropping my column a bit, but the best I could figure was tack weld something to the fastener and wrench it out that way. Whatever you did looks much less destructive than that.

Also, cool chassis brace. Might have to get out the welder and give that a shot.
Just used an air chisel! Sucked with all the dirt and dust that falls on your face though while hammering under the dash.

Thanks! Yeah the brace is a worthwhile addition... its not really a ton of weight, and its gotta do something. Even if you can't feel it, its just peace of mind that its helping hold the car together lol. I've still got a bit of leftover material, I was thinking to make one more and sell it...

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #242
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

All I got done this weekend was get proper things for attaching the cars to the trailer lol

Princess auto has the car straps, axle straps and d-rings on sale right now for half price, full set of 4 of each came to $115!!

Oh I did pick up a vert sway bar too
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #243
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

I got the rear subframe dropped out of the car tonight. Old leaky gas tank will be coming out tomorrow. Then I'll have to battle for a bit to get old rotten bits of ebrake cable out so I can put new ones in. Then new shiny gas tank can go in.

I'll take the subframe to work on monday so I can start prepping it for camber/toe adjustment modification.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #244
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg e30partout.jpg (211.4 KB, 51 views)
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #245
cormier
6th Gear Member

Haha Rob what is sad? E30 and beer looks like you got it made dude!

cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #246
SubDad
2nd Gear Member

It's sad an E30 guy needs those giant pickle forks to open a beer. I use a bench vise and grinder.

Anybody bought tires for Discount Tire with UPS direct ship to Canada? I'm itching to buy 14" (Yes, 14 inch: 205-60-14) Falkens from them, and they claim that I won't have to pay the UPS Thief Charges?
SubDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #247
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

No idea. When I buy from Discount Tire, I ship to Port Huron and my customs broker brings them across for me. I don't even pay shipping (but I do pay tax+7% duty). I do believe they have preferred brokerage like TireRack does however.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #248
SubDad
2nd Gear Member

I'll cheerfully pay the tax and duty, it's the UPS outrageous charges I want to avoid.
Not that there's anything wrong with another trip to Ogdensburg but by the time I get there and back it costs 50 bucks. (Gas, coffee and a western at the diner.)
Any problems with Discount?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #249
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

None at all. They ship from Ohio so I always have my stuff next day. Plus, they're reasonably priced.

I'd look into 1010tires.com too. they have a free shipping special right now which after tax and duty could put them at about the same price as Discount with no fear of duty as they're Canadian.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #250
cormier
6th Gear Member

No where local can compare? Tires23 always beats online pricing once ou factor in tax, shipping and installation when I've tried. I would avoid UPS, I've been victim to their fees as well not to mention pick up at their stupid warehouse instead of the post office

cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #251
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I got the rear subframe dropped out of the car tonight. Old leaky gas tank will be coming out tomorrow. Then I'll have to battle for a bit to get old rotten bits of ebrake cable out so I can put new ones in. Then new shiny gas tank can go in.

I'll take the subframe to work on monday so I can start prepping it for camber/toe adjustment modification.
Did you buy a new tank? how much did it run you?

Rear subframe is always a fun project, what mounts you going to use in it?

Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #252
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

J
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post
No where local can compare?
For me it was more a case of nowhere local could get me what I wanted except Kal Tire which was a special order and $100 more/tire than Discount.

I'll break it down here:

I paid $112 USD at par / tire for Falken Azenis RT615Ks + 13% tax + 7% duty. Free shipping and no brokerage fees because I have a connection for that stuff. That works out to $134/tire landed and another $80 to mount and balance.

Best I can do on the intenret in Canada (1010tire) is $142 / tire + hst and free shipping. Plus that $80 to mount and balance.

There's not a whole lot of savings there, but there's enough to make it worth my while.

Anyway, I just got my tires mounted up this morning.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #253
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammer View Post
Did you buy a new tank? how much did it run you?

Rear subframe is always a fun project, what mounts you going to use in it?
Yeah I bought a new tank in the US. It was $188 shipped, but I shipped it to my uncles house in the US and he brought it over for me.

I already bought eccentric bolts and washers meant for an E46. I just need to make sure they are long enough. I'm going to machine the adjuster brackets out of some scrap flat bar at work.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #254
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

I've got a set of these ready to go on my car:

Bought them last year before I knew there was eccentric style camber adjusters and offset control arm bushings in the car already. When I switch up the suspension this upcoming winter, I'll install them then. Petty cool piece and much less hassle to adjust than the eccentric style ones.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #255
SubDad
2nd Gear Member

It's the size of the tires more than the price that's the problem.
I said on the tire advice thread that I was going to buy 215/60-14, but having had a winter to think about it I've kinda decided that they'd look like mittens and 205 would be better.
205 is readily available in Canada and the USA in 15 inch, not 14. Even Tirerack only sells a race tire in 205/14. For a street tire in 205/14 it's Falkens from Discount or Nexen from another US place.
Local place offers me a 185/14 Chinese tire for a really low price. Ick. Double Ick.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: