Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Tyman
Karter

Don't know what drive shaft to use

ive got an m52 swapped 318 and have no idea what drive shaft is in it, it vibrates really bad from 30-38 km/h then a bit at 120, the bracket that holds the center bearing is completely broken off on the one side so could that be the problem?

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=21754&dateline=1358108374
Tyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

That is likely the problem, but if it's been like that for a while you'll probably have other problems with the driveshaft. Do you have any documentation on the swap? Do you know what tranny is in it?
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

I had some driveshaft shake but it was because I had shitty polyurethane transmission bushings that compressed way too much after installation and caused the driveline to be out of alignment at and shake like hell at certain speeds. Swapped driveshafts, guibos and CSBs plus pulled out the diff and inspected it and it still didn't go away.

Just put the new bushings in yesterday (Condor Speed Shop's UHMW bushings) and went for a quick drive. No more vibration. On the up side, I now have a spare everything to do with the driveshaft. Replacing your CSB will likely fix your problem though if it's snapped. Not a fun job, but pretty easy to do.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
poolays
2nd Gear Member

iwould say either the broken hanger bearing as you mentioned or a broken / distorted flex disc.
poolays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
cormier
6th Gear Member

Your CSB is probably your issue. Guibo may be a good idea to replace while you do it. You can get a new one at Pelican or from Mike@Maranello (easiest sources). If you measure the overall length of your driveshaft, you can probably find out what its from or at least what you need to replace it with should you need to

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
matty.dc
5th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to matty.dc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyman View Post
ive got an m52 swapped 318 and have no idea what drive shaft is in it, it vibrates really bad from 30-38 km/h then a bit at 120, the bracket that holds the center bearing is completely broken off on the one side so could that be the problem?
Do you know which transmission was used in the swap?

1987 325is(Midnight Tuning Tuned OBD I S52) - Current Summer Car
2012 Hyundai Veloster Tech- Daily Driver
1985 318i - 1st Car (started it all)
matty.dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Tyman
Karter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty.dc View Post
Do you know which transmission was used in the swap?
No idea, how can you tell the difference between the two?

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=21754&dateline=1358108374
Tyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Well, on the Getrag 260 on the left side of the transmission when mounted near where the slave cylinder goes, you'll see a part number that begins with 260. This part number is also on the ass end of the transmission too.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the Getrag/ZF options that were available in the E36 because of limited exposure to them.

AFAIK, the later Getrag 240 could have also been used as well (likely if your car stared life as a 318is)

Last edited by karmatose; 04-05-2013 at 09:53 AM.
karmatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyman View Post
the bracket that holds the center bearing is completely broken off on the one side so could that be the problem?
I'd say that's definitely the issue.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I'd say that's definitely the issue.
... and when you replace it, get one of these. It makes the job SOOOOO much easier (says the guy who did it twice last year). Makes getting the inner race off childsplay.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: