Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #31
Blades
Your opinion is to long

This is a documentary ..

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...he+documentary

I was hooked in the first 10 seconds and I think that's what a trailer should do .. it makes you want to watch it more.

I watched that porsche documentary like a pedo teacher at a school prom .. and it was free

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #32
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
I was hooked in the first 10 seconds and I think that's what a trailer should do .. it makes you want to watch it more.
Precisely my point.

And agreed, that was a great short film... everything about it shows exactly what people are enthusiasts... from the why to the how.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #33
TCroooks
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
Precisely my point.

And agreed, that was a great short film... everything about it shows exactly what people are enthusiasts... from the why to the how.
but you have only seen 1 minute of a trailer for this one we are working on so how can you tell exactly what its about and the details of what we are covering?
TCroooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #34
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCroooks View Post
but you have only seen 1 minute of a trailer for this one we are working on so how can you tell exactly what its about and the details of what we are covering?
and that is the most important minute, it has to grab the audience
like the Magnus Walker's doc...
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #35
TCroooks
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
and that is the most important minute, it has to grab the audience
like the Magnus Walker's doc...
yeah I totally understand, well I didn't make the trailer or have anything to do with it so theres not much else I can say that I havent, most people are hyped for it others think otherwise. Everyone is entitled to their opinion obviously but thanks to those who support!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #36
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

Well they left the best for last...that white e46 BMW With the 3 guys standing there.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #37
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Listen, the reason for a trailer and I believe your post originally was to get people hyped about the final video and to hopefully get people to buy it.

I've bought my share of racing/car "documentaries" and I'm not trying to be mean or put you or the production down here... but the trailer blows. I was hoping I would see what these guys are trying to accomplish here, something that would make me want to possibly order the movie, but it was weak and absolutely didn't deliver at all.

Maybe you can let them know and have them revise the trailer, that would be my constructive criticism in regards to the move.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #38
TCroooks
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
Listen, the reason for a trailer and I believe your post originally was to get people hyped about the final video and to hopefully get people to buy it.

I've bought my share of racing/car "documentaries" and I'm not trying to be mean or put you or the production down here... but the trailer blows. I was hoping I would see what these guys are trying to accomplish here, something that would make me want to possibly order the movie, but it was weak and absolutely didn't deliver at all.

Maybe you can let them know and have them revise the trailer, that would be my constructive criticism in regards to the move.
My post originally if you read it was to try and gather people or to find out when and where the track events/autocross/meets were happening between now and may 15th, the trailer was in there to give people a visual idea of what I'll be filming for. I've passed on the suggestions but this far in I doubt they will make a new trailer. You're the only person so far that think the trailer blows completely and I dont mind that because I'm sure the ones you have seen have been on a much bigger and more professional scale. But if and when I do ever do my own type of documentary or when I start brain storming for a cinematic feature, I'll come back to you and get some advice, but as for this one, whats done is pretty much done. Now lets get back on topic, whos going to the powerade center for the autoslalom? And are there any other track events or anything coming up?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #39
Blades
Your opinion is to long

^ mods ... clean up on isle 5

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #40
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Now lets get back on topic, whos going to the powerade center for the autoslalom?
I'll hopefully be there, as well as anyone in this thread
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156749
Old 04-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #41
Smitty
4th Gear Member

I know the OP wasn't involved in the creation of this trailer, but since we're all piling on: I thought the second half was fine. Once it picks up steam, it moves along nicely and holds together a bit better.

There is room for improvement, though. Here are two notes:

1. The music (Explosions in the Sky?) is totally wrong and makes the whole thing feel like a bit of a high school project. It's too... proud? Too 2004? It suggests that the filmmakers are trying to mythologize their subject rather than documenting it.

2. Also, the title card about a minute in ("a documentary film of the aftermarket car culture") contains a prepositional error. You can potentially use 'about' or 'on,' but using 'of' just grates. Preposition selection is part of the middle school curriculum. Literally. These are not the sorts of errors that should make it to a finished product.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #42
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Good idea, poor execution I think.

The documentary is meant to document and educate the audience about a certain topic, I think Halcyon is going about it the wrong way, it's like they just want to get paid and educating people and getting the word out is not their primary focus.

There is a lot of quality content available on youtube, and channels that do things right make a lot of money off the advertising. If the makers were confident that what they are making was any good, they wouldn't need to charge for it. Hell maybe they would get more business by showing off what 'Halcyon Photography' is capable of, assuming it's good, they'd get a lot more business that way.

I hope they own all the rights for the music they are using, I'm sure the producers of the music wouldn't want it being used for commercial purposes.

Just my $0.02, maybe one day it will show up on youtube

Check out, www.tdott.me for a list of events coming up...
Old 04-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #43
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
1. The music (Explosions in the Sky?) is totally wrong and makes the whole thing feel like a bit of a high school project. It's too... proud? Too 2004? It suggests that the filmmakers are trying to mythologize their subject rather than documenting it.
It says in the description that the song is Halcyon (Beautiful Days) by MONO.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #44
JINT
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
I didn't say that ..idiot .. I just think those cars do attract retarded people sometimes thats all. I know of some crazy civics and del sols out there.
You're an idiot, learn manners.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #45
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

Well this is a BMW site...so... Honda's will get made fun of. That the reality.my buddy has a vetech all that gsr stuff he toke me for a ride...it just don't do it for me and i told him..you just cant take a knife to a gun fight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: