Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #226
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
So I decided to sit down and write up a plan of attack for my car. I kind of regret it, its such a big list of stuff

Fix

Random battery drain
Hanger bearing
Clicking E-Brake
Passenger high beam
Foglights (or remove and install blanks)
General tune up stuff (filters, plugs, etc)

Fabricate and/or Install

Front subframe reinforcement pieces
M3 sway bar Strut Tabs
Braided brake lines
Remake my X Brace that I made up for my old E30
Make a strut brace
Chop up the wiring harness to fit behind M3 firewall covers
Chop out bolts and drop steering column

Stuff I'd like to do... but comes last

Get a new chip (TRM looks pretty appealing)
Fix the hackjob exhaust courtesy of the original shop that did the swap
Take a second stab at upholstry (driver seat bolster is meh)
Replace interior carpet
Find/buy and install the original motorized antenna
New shift knob and linkage (short, notchy shit in there now)
Sort out my wheel+tire situation

Kinda need most of this done for mid-April to be ready for track season. Fuuuuuuuuu....

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #227
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Long weekend courtesy of jeebus. Knock 'er out, dude.
karmatose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #228
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

You wait till you have a wife and kid and try to get it done, I'm trying to get it done for the first autoslalom

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
So I decided to sit down and write up a plan of attack for my car. I kind of regret it, its such a big list of stuff

Fix

Random battery drain
Hanger bearing
Clicking E-Brake
Passenger high beam
Foglights (or remove and install blanks)
General tune up stuff (filters, plugs, etc)

Fabricate and/or Install

Front subframe reinforcement pieces
M3 sway bar Strut Tabs
Braided brake lines
Remake my X Brace that I made up for my old E30
Make a strut brace
Chop up the wiring harness to fit behind M3 firewall covers
Chop out bolts and drop steering column

Stuff I'd like to do... but comes last

Get a new chip (TRM looks pretty appealing)
Fix the hackjob exhaust courtesy of the original shop that did the swap
Take a second stab at upholstry (driver seat bolster is meh)
Replace interior carpet
Find/buy and install the original motorized antenna
New shift knob and linkage (short, notchy shit in there now)
Sort out my wheel+tire situation

Kinda need most of this done for mid-April to be ready for track season. Fuuuuuuuuu....
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #229
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatose View Post
Long weekend courtesy of jeebus. Knock 'er out, dude.
Damn, good call! Totally forgot that was this weekend lol!! I think the subframe reinforcements will have to be done this weekend since now I can afford more than two days downtime on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
You wait till you have a wife and kid and try to get it done, I'm trying to get it done for the first autoslalom
Yeah true, I'm already bad enough with time management as it is... couldn't imagine all that going on. When is the first AutoX anyways? I haven't even looked!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #230
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

The few days of warm weather have hopefully melted enough snow to allow me to get my car out of storage this weekend so that I can get it up on the stands to start working on my hit list. My current list is as follows...

1a) Replace leaking gas tank
1b) To make 1a easier drop rear subframe... and while it's down machine and weld in adjustment plates for camber and toe. (I already bought the E46 eccentric bolts and washers, in total it should end up costing me about half of what the kits usually cost)
1c) While I'm back there re-install ebrake cables that got cut out when I did the subframe bushings back in 2010

2a) Pull front of motor apart to replace the oil seal spacer on the crank that is causing an oil leak.
2b) Retard the timing on my cam a bit because I think it's way too advanced right now based on my dyno plot from last year.

3) Test fit ITB set-up and make any adjustments necessary so I can move forward with that project.

4a) I'm also considering modifying my spare set of strut housings to swap my GC coils onto because the first time around I should have cut more out of the housing. I'm pretty far down on the coil. I'd like to take more out of the housing and crank the coil further up so that I'm operating the shock within a better range rather than have it close to bottoming out all the time.
4b) If I do end up doing that I'll weld on tabs to run an M3 style end link.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #231
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Damn, good call! Totally forgot that was this weekend lol!! I think the subframe reinforcements will have to be done this weekend since now I can afford more than two days downtime on the car.

Yeah true, I'm already bad enough with time management as it is... couldn't imagine all that going on. When is the first AutoX anyways? I haven't even looked!

Looks like first one is April 21st, but may 26th one is at DDT, hopefully just a trillium event so lapping in the afternoon.

I'm positive I will have the car useable for the DDT event and then doing the June school

Looking at hittin schools at the glen, lime rock, and tremblant this summer and some Wednesday evenings at Cayuga.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #232
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammer View Post
/\ Lemme know if those Treehouse bushings make any noticeable difference.
I agree about the paint they get scuffed quick times. They're tight though and leave lots of clearance for exhaust, etc

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #233
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
4b) If I do end up doing that I'll weld on tabs to run an M3 style end link.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this once you do it. It's something I'm considering when I go to a Ground Control setup on my car.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #234
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatose View Post
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this once you do it. It's something I'm considering when I go to a Ground Control setup on my car.
I think it's necessary if you're lowering your car because if you go low enough the stock end link ends up not being perpendicular to the sway bar so if you were to consider the force vector, less force is going into twisting the sway bar, so it becomes less effective. You need something like this in order to compensate

Old 03-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #235
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Aye... I'm low to the point where I should have something adjustable in there, I just didn't want to do any welding until I get to the suspension setup I actually want in the car.

I mean, I've seen adjustable links to go from the stock location on the control arm that allow you to adjust out a bit, but I'm wondering how much different it'd be mounting the link on the strut housing. I get the theory behind it, but maybe it's just a matter of trying it and seeing what happens. Either way, I'd love to hear your thoughts once completed.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #236
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

The OEM front links on the non M cars are so short, I can't imagine building a linkage with two rod ends and being able to make it that much shorter. The benefit to moving the mount to the strut housing is that you can fit a linkage that will give you a wider range of adjustment.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #237
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Made some forward progress today.

With much persuasion after a night of drinking I managed to get the steering knuckle off the input shaft. Was really stuck on there so I sprayed it with penetrating oil yesterday. Didn't really seem to help and was not coming off. I don't want to knacker the splines, so as apprehensive as I was about it with the fuel lines being right there I threw some heat on it and it slid right off.

Anyway, got that out and popped in a new left side control arm and Treehouse LCAB. Much easier without the steering gear in the way. Tomorrow I hope to get the steering rack in and maybe install my new transmission mounts. Then I can put the car back down on the ground and concentrate on engine stuff.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #238
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Just got my car put back together. Finished putting the Z3 steering rack in and new transmission mounts. The old poly ones I had compressed way too much after settling and made for some massive driveline wobble.

Anyway, just went for a rip. I need an alignment something fierce, but all of the upgades I just did were totally worth it. Car feels much sharper now. There's zero hesitation in the steering with the Z3 rack and the poly urethane coupler. Input is direct and precise plus lots of road feedback (I don't have PS). The Z3 rack will take some getting used to but less turns is a good thing. I'm not sure how the Treehouse LCABs play into the equation but I'm certain they're helping too.

Can't wait to get an alignment and properly shake it down. Come on rain! Clean the streets up!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:45 PM   #239
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Got three things off my list this weekend.

Made my X Brace this weekend. Why let all the E36 guys get the cool chassis mods? lol

Dropped my steering column... makes such a big difference! Its not like driving a bus anymore! But damn I hate these bolts!

And a much needed car wash and pop the old rims back on. I have my wheel setup a bit backwards (Koseis for street, BBS for track), but I'll deal with that after the first track weekend. Continental slicks going on the BBS

Old 03-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #240
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Quote:
How'd you get those out? I was thinking about dropping my column a bit, but the best I could figure was tack weld something to the fastener and wrench it out that way. Whatever you did looks much less destructive than that.

Also, cool chassis brace. Might have to get out the welder and give that a shot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: