Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #46
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
http://plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSSTBLUETOOTH

I use this all the time with my phone
Awesome idea!

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #47
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
http://plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSSTBLUETOOTH

I use this all the time with my phone
Will this device read deeper in BMW's fault codes? I've got a pesky check engine light on my e63 that my current OBD II can't register which makes me think that I have to take it in to the dealer to scan or purchase something like a BMTechnic.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'02 Regal LS
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #48
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Unlikely. Most independent shops will be able to read it.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #49
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Can it just be a quote? It's my understanding that you need to have spent $450 trying to repair the car. If they wrote you up a phony receipt for work that they actually didn't do I could see that working, however that ends up being income that the shop has on the books but didn't actually get, I can't see a shop owner doing that too often as it will cost him when doing taxes.
Not sure if I am reading it wrong but

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...d01_079017.pdf

"If you have a single problem that cannot be corrected
for $450, the vehicle can qualify for the RCL without
any repairs."
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #50
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
Not sure if I am reading it wrong but

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...d01_079017.pdf

"If you have a single problem that cannot be corrected
for $450, the vehicle can qualify for the RCL without
any repairs."
Nice. I had read a different brochure from drive clean that made it sound like you HAD to spend $450 first before you could get the conditional pass. That's good to know.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #51
kevin325
AMG ETR

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemmer View Post
Will this device read deeper in BMW's fault codes? I've got a pesky check engine light on my e63 that my current OBD II can't register which makes me think that I have to take it in to the dealer to scan or purchase something like a BMTechnic.
Try "Peake Tool".

kevin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #52
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

im gonna chime in here, there is no drive clean up north....
Old 03-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #53
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

so just had to deal with this BS today....
pulled my wife's M out of storage last night unexpectedly and unwillingly, go to get a sticker, shit...we need to do the e-test.
FIne. Between last night and this morning we drove about 30K. I clear the check engine light (evap code 0411) and go for a little drive, 10km's later I go in to get it tested. A few minutes later, the tech comes out, "6 Not ready's and that will be 40$--drive it for a few days and come back". Well **** you buddy, my wife isn't gonna drive with expired sticker. So I pay and storm out (I kind of knew this was going to happen) and go driving aimlessly for 60km's, HWY, City, traffic, bla bla bla.. Go back in 3 hours later... "Pass..only one Not read for evap system, but don't worry, every thing fails that one, that will be another 20$".

So in other words, **** you new E-test.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #54
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Yes, the evap can only be cleared within a certain ambient temp
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #55
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
so just had to deal with this BS today....
pulled my wife's M out of storage last night unexpectedly and unwillingly, go to get a sticker, shit...we need to do the e-test.
FIne. Between last night and this morning we drove about 30K. I clear the check engine light (evap code 0411) and go for a little drive, 10km's later I go in to get it tested. A few minutes later, the tech comes out, "6 Not ready's and that will be 40$--drive it for a few days and come back". Well **** you buddy, my wife isn't gonna drive with expired sticker. So I pay and storm out (I kind of knew this was going to happen) and go driving aimlessly for 60km's, HWY, City, traffic, bla bla bla.. Go back in 3 hours later... "Pass..only one Not read for evap system, but don't worry, every thing fails that one, that will be another 20$".

So in other words, **** you new E-test.

I have now worked on several bmw's with codes that were cleared/problem fixed and then cleared for an etest. It was mentioned on the first page it is simple as driving for 20min and then just going for the test since the readiness is good to go and closed loop etc.

Absolutely 110% wrong!

The above issue posted by bmwm5lover is a prime example. We recently had a e90 in for a service and etest, CEL light was on, EVAP system fault (turns out to be the pump) any ways there is criteria that needs to be met before a readiness is allowed. On an e90 the evap pump ONLY runs every other time once criteria such as this is met...5 hours sitting off, 20 min+ driving at no more or less than X speed, temp and altitude criteria met and so on. Therefore you could literally drive for days or weeks before this pump engages. BMW has a protocal they run them through to assure the test is done on an evap pump, major PITA but that is life.

So in saying that we have seen some cars drive around that day and pass (be ready) others take days, we have come to explain to customers that if they are in today for a service and expect to be passing the etest all in one and have a fault in the dme related to essentials, it isnt going to happen all at once, you will be rebooking.

On a side note my 2002 e46 with 164,000 passed last week, no codes, no problem. However the month before I had a misfire on #2 that cleared and never came back with no obvious reason, luckily I looked well before I had to have the test.

It is a PITA however the key now is to get a scan and a fix if needed well before hand, don;t make it a last day thing.

Last edited by Blackedout95; 03-12-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Blackedout95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #56
ex3mal
Weapon M

U can get tune for you ecu which will show ewrething ready, no need for cats any more

e46 m3 artcar, ap racing bbk, maxpsi build in progress
Follow on ig @weaponm
ex3mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:07 AM   #57
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

^ Unless you get pulled in for a roadside sniffer. It's obvious when a car doesn't have cats, and the fine is astronomical if they determine you have removed emission controls.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #58
ex3mal
Weapon M

^on the hot engine even without cats u have chance to pass sniffer test. I got pulled over last year on the way to cscs, they went under my car and the cop who went under my car said its looks stock to him so they let me go hehe. If they catch u without emission they taking ur plates and u have to bring ur car to their shop for inspection(before bringing there just install some cats and u r gonna be ok) it's happened to my friend

e46 m3 artcar, ap racing bbk, maxpsi build in progress
Follow on ig @weaponm
ex3mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #59
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^if they take your plates you can voluntarily have the car marked unfit, get your plate back (sans sticker, but you'll be refunded) then just get a safety and you're back on the road.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #60
kevin325
AMG ETR

^^ #protip.

kevin325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: