Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #46
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzie View Post
Nice progress! Any way you can explain how you're making the rad support removeable? Which spot welds are you drilling out?
To get it off you have to drill out all the welds to the body. Then basically weld 2 nuts at the botton inside the frame rail and 2 nuts under where the fenders mount. After that you just make some brackets on the support itself. Ill upload pics when thats done for you.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #47
Wuzie
2nd Gear Member

Cool thanks. The removable front was gonna be my next project after patching the floors.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #48
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Still waiting on parts to get this thing running properly. But heres where im at so far,

Ordered the Massive brakes booster delete.

Also i couldn't find a turbo exhaust flange for the rb that wasnt either cast iron, or from Australia. Im sorry but 67 dollars shipping is stupid for a 30 dollar piece. So in the end my buddy made me one, ended up turning out really nice.

Figured out where the wastegate will be run, basically out my driver side wheel well. Muahaha!!!

After that was all done i mocked up how i would have to run the dp to clear my master, steering and tranny/firewall. Things were super tight but i managed to fit a 3" dp by making the top into a 2.5ish oval and using a couple bends.

Results

After the pipe passes the bell housing I put an oval reducer on it. Seeing as im on bags i wanted everything snug under the body. Also just before that i welded in a 3" Vband so i can remove the dp semi easily. But man is it ever tight, do able, but tight.

Took us 2 tries to get the dp done right but totally worth the extra headache. I spent saturday night pulling the motor and prepping the bay for glass. Layed down some etch primer and got to work. I have probably 3 or 4 hours into this so far and its looking decent. Need to weld a couple more spots now and its almost ready for paint.

The new goal for this car is to have it done for the first stretch and poke, which is may 25 i believe. Picking up a walbro off my buddy tomorrow than after that all i need is, fuel lines, brake lines, clutch slave line, powersteering line, drive shaft, intercooler tubes and the rest of the exhaust welded up. The rest of the parts are either being shipped or almost here. I also have a little surprise i ordered but i cant tell anyone till the first car show.

Thanks for watching so far and stay tuned this week!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #49
cormier
6th Gear Member

Nice! Very smooth bay eh

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #50
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooo View Post
I also have a little surprise i ordered but i cant tell anyone till the first car show.
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #51
Ryan1212
Some sort of something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammer View Post
lmfao!
Ryan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #52
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Got most of the bay out of the way this week.

Vinyl washed it and laid down some highbuild

Picked up some materials, working at a body shop has its perks sometimes. 88 bucks!

Ignore the welds please, also ill be re painting it this week because of the amount of dirt that stuck in it. Its my first time ever painting but im not exactly happy with it, Im gonna borrow a better gun off my buddy aswell. And heres what she looked like not too long ago.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #53
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Also snapped a pic of everything together. And bought a fancy wideband.

After the bay is re painted ill be painting the rad support and ordering intercooler piping. Then its all the small tedious things before its done.

Still tossing up ideas for an exterior colour, so far im stuck on gloss red and metallic brown. If i paint it it'll go sunset mica bronze (toyota venza colour) and if i wrap it it'll go gloss red.

More updates to come.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #54
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Bay looks better than I thought it would! good job

Hows the downpipe fit in the car? Are you going to incorporate the wg or just hack it and leave it open?

That colour you are talking about for the exterior is very nice, but just an opinion on that paint, as I also once worked at a body shop , it is very difficult to spray properly and IIRC it's laid in three stages.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #55
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man, Dp is snug in the bay but it doesn't touch anything.

I do work in a body shop but i dont paint nor do i touch body work. Im in the detailing end for now. When you lay the paint its 2-3 coats of base and 2 coats of clear. Before the base i laid 2 coats of vinyl wash and 2-3 coats of highbuild primer/sanded with 400.

Other shots of the dp

Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #56
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Right on! I would put a flex pipe somewhere along the line aswell so your not stressing that V-Band. It is going to see a lot of heat and the pinch welds that hold the band to the rings are typically shitty.

Also what I mean by the three stage (or two as some call it) paint isn't how many coats apply. You would have to spray a base (background colour), mid coat (metallic gradient) and clear. the mid coat is hard to do well because the angle in which you spray it and how many passes over the surface changes how it looks.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #57
cormier
6th Gear Member

Nice paint, nice pipes. Keep it up

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #58
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

3 stage is for pearls.

And thanks dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk