Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #151
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Shoot for low 13 AFRs at WOT.

What kind of values are in the WOT table? I'm just wondering if it works on it's own, or over top of the base fuel map.
Are there custom xdf files out there for your DME that use a single map and eliminate the WOT map?

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 03-09-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Bullet Ride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #152
BMe30
all by chance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Shoot for low 13 AFRs at WOT.

What kind of values are in the WOT table? I'm just wondering if it works on it's own, or over top of the base fuel map.
Are there custom xdf files out there for your DME that use a single map and eliminate the WOT map?
As far as i know there is no table out there that will replace the low, high, and WOT table

Pay no attention to the same values across the rev range.. I was trying to see when it would lean out.. I know you know.. Its for those who might not know lol

Here is the xdf table list i have been tuning from

Here is another xdf i found on the tunerpro forum for the m42. I havent tried it yet nor have i excluded the tables that dont work for my ecu. Thats why there are repeated tables.

Im reall interested to see if these tables work with this new xdf.. Mainly the afr table

It was suggested i try my stock injectors. Ill try that first.

Gone but not forgotten
BMe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #153
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMe30 View Post
As far as i know there is no table out there that will replace the low, high, and WOT table

What are the units on your x-axis? AFM door position?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #154
BMe30
all by chance...

Wot map? Or high load map?

I believe its throttle position

Gone but not forgotten
Old 03-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #155
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Wot map? Or high load map?

I believe its throttle position

Oh, does your car have a variable TPS stock?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #156
BMe30
all by chance...

Quote:
Stock its a fixed tps. The ecu was self learning for position.

On my itbs its variable.. And i noticed that if the idle voltage was too high i would be in the low load map instead of the idle map.

If the voltage was too low then i wouldnt get into the WOT map.

Gone but not forgotten
Old 03-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #157
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Cool, I didn't know you could adapt a variable TPS when you're piggybacking the stock DME. I guess my question is now that if your table axis is RPM vs TPS angle (a.k.a. Alpha-N) then what is the DME doing with the input from the AFM flap? Is it just ignoring it? Because in theory you should be able to run the car without the AFM if you were to install an IAT sensor in your plenum somewhere.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #158
BMe30
all by chance...

If i recall correctly the flap and throttle position work together.

Well i got my stock injectors in... Got her started and sure enough my afr sensor is messing up showing really lean with no numbers registering. Its been like this for 2 weeks. Every now and then it works.

Hopefully it will work tomorrow morning to do a little tuning.

Gone but not forgotten
Old 03-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #159
BMe30
all by chance...

This morning i loaded up the stock bin file with tunerpro. Started the car and the idle was great. Drove to the gas station. Not bad.

One problem... My afr sensor was not reading at all. It would work at times at idle but then show full lean.

So a few things on to do list...
Get new afr sensor
Replace fuel filter
Street tune for fuel
Redesign intake plenum

Gone but not forgotten
Old 03-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #160
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
If i recall correctly the flap and throttle position work together.
With a fixed TPS normally the DME would be looking at the input from the AFM flap in order to determine where you are on the x-axis of your fuel map and it will only be using the input from the TPS to determine when to switch to the idle or WOT maps. So if your DME is now using the TPS signal to determine where you are on the x-axis of the fuel map then the signal from the AFM flap is doing what?
Old 03-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #161
BMe30
all by chance...

The afm tells the dme the air volume that passes through the flap throughout the flap opening. Also determines fuel to match.

Earlier with my spare afm i tried advancing the sweeper from the gate to trick the dme in thinking the flap was open more than what it was to add more fuel. That was with the stock dme

Just like the m20. Now here is the part that i dont understand. Miller designed a maf conversion for the m20 but had difficulty with one for the m42 and scraped the project.
A guy in cali is currently trying to tackle the issue for the m42 maf conversion.

I could try one day to get an iat sensor. Figure out the iat wires from the afm and splice it in. Disconnect the afm and see what happens with the fuel.

Gone but not forgotten
Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #162
blueboi69
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
The afm tells the dme the air volume that passes through the flap throughout the flap opening. Also determines fuel to match.

Earlier with my spare afm i tried advancing the sweeper from the gate to trick the dme in thinking the flap was open more than what it was to add more fuel. That was with the stock dme

Just like the m20. Now here is the part that i dont understand. Miller designed a maf conversion for the m20 but had difficulty with one for the m42 and scraped the project.
A guy in cali is currently trying to tackle the issue for the m42 maf conversion.

I could try one day to get an iat sensor. Figure out the iat wires from the afm and splice it in. Disconnect the afm and see what happens with the fuel.

Hi!

Sounds good! I was thinking the same, to try it with an IAT sensor only. Please share your experience about it, it would be very very useful for me!
Thanks!
blueboi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #163
blueboi69
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
With a fixed TPS normally the DME would be looking at the input from the AFM flap in order to determine where you are on the x-axis of your fuel map and it will only be using the input from the TPS to determine when to switch to the idle or WOT maps. So if your DME is now using the TPS signal to determine where you are on the x-axis of the fuel map then the signal from the AFM flap is doing what?

It would be nice to test it, moving the TPS when it is not on the throttle valve or to move the AFM flap without moving the throttle valve.
I'm also very curious about this. It would be very very nice, to build an M42 running alpha-N
blueboi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #164
BMe30
all by chance...

Here is the link to the thread if the guy who is working on the maf conversion for the m42. Its an interesting techie read... http://m42club.com/forum/index.php?t...8173#msg118173

Gone but not forgotten
Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #165
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Quote:
Stock its a fixed tps. The ecu was self learning for position.

On my itbs its variable.. And i noticed that if the idle voltage was too high i would be in the low load map instead of the idle map.

If the voltage was too low then i wouldnt get into the WOT map.
Quote:
Cool, I didn't know you could adapt a variable TPS when you're piggybacking the stock DME. I guess my question is now that if your table axis is RPM vs TPS angle (a.k.a. Alpha-N) then what is the DME doing with the input from the AFM flap? Is it just ignoring it? Because in theory you should be able to run the car without the AFM if you were to install an IAT sensor in your plenum somewhere.
Quote:
This whole conversation can be more or less ignored lol, when I read "Stock its a fixed tps...On my itbs its variable." I mistook that to mean that the stock TPS is like the E30 TPS, a switch, not a sensor. However I looked up the p/n from the M42 TPS on RealOEM and it's the variable TPS. Shit makes more sense now lol

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 03-11-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Bullet Ride is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: