Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #31
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
S50B32's do not have post cat sensors so not OBD2 compatible.
That is not true... you don't need post cat O2's to be OBD2 compatible. OBD2 is a standard for the ECU to speak with testing equipment. It doesn't matter if there is no air pump, or rear o2 or even no EGR valves.

The ECU is programmed to know what it has and what is a valid check.

In Europe they didn't have post o2 sensors because they didn't bother with post cat efficiency tests. That doesn't mean the ECU and the car wasn't OBD2 compliant.

Quote:
This is from the drive clean guide: http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...rod_080001.pdf

It refers to Appendix D of the Drive Clean SOP will list the majority of vehicles the
ministry has identified as not being compatible with the OBD test.

And the directors ability to use an equivalent test.

8. TWO SPEED IDLE TEST GASOLINE FUELLED LIGHT VEHICLES
(AND OTHER FUELS EXCEPT DIESEL)
The following Two Speed Idle Test is to be used in the program up until December 31, 2012,
for vehicles unable to be tested using the dynamometer as described in Section 9.
The following Two Speed Idle Test is to be used in the program effective January 1, 2013, for
vehicles unable to be tested using the OBD system test as described in Section 9.0.1. This Page 5 of 20
will include vehicles with the model years 1988-1997, vehicles not OBD enabled or vehicles
not compatible with the performance of the OBD test procedure referred to in Section 9.0.1 of
the Regulation. Appendix D of the Drive Clean SOP will list the majority of vehicles the
ministry has identified as not being compatible with the OBD test.

Maximum emissions standards for the preconditioned Two Speed Idle Test are provided in
Table 8.
The procedure to be used is the preconditioned Two Speed Idle Test set out in the USEPA
publication EPA-AA-TSS-I/M-90-3 January 1991 Recommended I/M Short Test Procedures
for the 1990's: Six Alternatives.

A test may be used that the Director considers equivalent.
That's all fine any dandy, but it doesn't say anything about 1998 cars, by reading that it's showing that 1988-1997 cars could fall into the "not compatible" list. Which to me makes sense why they left a grace year, for half model years etc.

You specifically said that there are 1998 cars without OBD2, I don't see proof of this anywhere so far and no mention of 1998 cars being able to test w/o an OBD2 port working.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #32
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Regarding EURO OBD2. This car doesn't even have the port.

The rest of this is moot I will take it for a test when I get the engine finished, let you know how it works out.

Dave
Old 03-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #33
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Regarding EURO OBD2. This car doesn't even have the port.

The rest of this is moot I will take it for a test when I get the engine finished, let you know how it works out.

Dave
Please do let us know.. I'm very interested to see what happens... it's unfortunate that the rules are quite vague for the most part.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #34
dcramer
5th Gear Member

yes the rules are not exactly clear. The industry consensus is that this will all go away in a while. It's actually quite ludicrous
Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #35
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
yes the rules are not exactly clear. The industry consensus is that this will all go away in a while. It's actually quite ludicrous
Considering that most of the US has been participating in OBD2 testing for many years now I have my doubts that it will ever leave.

They will make amendments I'm sure, and hopefully clear the rules. But I do not think it is going anywhere. They spent far too much in getting this program off the ground. Heck many of the shops don't even have the old dyno/TSI sniffer test machines anymore. You have to hunt for them now.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #36
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

I'm curious if an E46 with EU2 flash would pass an OBDII emissions test.

My guess is no, because readiness monitors would show up as not ready, but my curiousity remains.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #37
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
I'm curious if an E46 with EU2 flash would pass an OBDII emissions test.

My guess is no, because readiness monitors would show up as not ready, but my curiousity remains.
Tried that by accident. 4 not ready.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #38
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Tried that by accident. 4 not ready.
Correct, but if you know your way around the ECU flash and know how to modify it you can force it to pass
Old 12-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #39
daveking
1st Gear Newbie

You probably figured it out by not but as long as you go 30km and wait 24Hours between tests you'll get a conditional pass as long as there's no codes

Sent from my GT-S5690R using Tapatalk 2
daveking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #40
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
Correct, but if you know your way around the ECU flash and know how to modify it you can force it to pass
What does doing this involve?
Old 12-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #41
yamahaone
1st Gear Newbie

I'm going to answer the original question i just passed my Etest with a 92 e36 with a s52 supercharger swap. I took my car to cantire told them everything about the car they called the ontario etest people they said since my motor that is a 97 is different then the body year that the car is a hot rod and i needed to call them to get a ref# and to get a form emailed to me. The form is when they type in the vin it will give them the #s to test for. there is no way i was doing that because insurance may find it and cancel me so i leaned out the tune for the test.went back to cantire told them test it as stock switched the tune and they only do 2 speed idle test and passed no problem.switch the tune back and drove home.
yamahaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #42
yamahaone
1st Gear Newbie

And i forgot there is only a few places that do a 2 speed idle test cantire center mall and dealerships that sell diesel cars. There is a loophole with the odb2 test if it fails 3 times they have to do a 2 speed idle test. so if your car has a check eng light on for something minor you will still pass.I did it with my 2002 325i
yamahaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #43
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
97 and newer cars can always get the two stage idle.

and you cannot get the two stage idle on a 98+ car if your OBD2 doesn't work. you can only do this if you can't get your IM's to play nice.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #44
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

My E36 is a 96 so it is the first year of OBD2... The Drive Clean documentation says that the new OBD2-style testing (plugging into the port) is for 98 and up only. Which way will my car be tested? Is the "98 and up" just a guideline, since there were some transition years where some cars had OBD2 and some didn't?
ClayMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #45
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Tailpipe test they will not plug it in

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: