Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #406
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Very good work!
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #407
Chris916
2nd Gear Member

Some progress made. Front core support is all done:

Everything mocked up with the e36:

Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #408
Chris916
2nd Gear Member

Front fenders are almost done. Just a bit more sanding!

Going to be working on a splitter tomorrow. Also ordering a wing as soon as i can decide what to get!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #409
Chris916
2nd Gear Member

Started building my splitter today! Cut out of 1/4" plywood

Mocked up on the car

I used a 2" styrofoam spacer to drop the splitter down a bit. Once the engine is back in, it should be sitting around 3" off the ground.

Last edited by Chris916; 02-18-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Chris916 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #410
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Is the 1/4" plywood a mockup, or final? CF going on it? 1/4" probably won't work with that much lip on it ... 1-2" maybe, but anything more and it'll bend on you!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #411
Aero
2nd Gear Member

Lookin' good! Make sure you fence the area in front of the tires, significant gains to be had there.

I assume you're going to use a couple turnbuckles to support the load? I agree with Arek; it won't take the load without them.

Does your mounting system allow you to adjust the angle of the splitter/diffuser relative to the ground? Another useful feature would be to have additional .5" and 1" foam spacers so that you can adjust the height of the splitter above the ground by swapping them in/out.

Looks slick with the e36 bumper and wide fenders!

My Youtube Channel
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #412
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Looking really good.. The splitter should be able to take a distributed load of a couple hundred pounds, so it will likely need a stronger material. Wrap that sucker in fiberglass and it would likely be fine, and build up some deflection in front of the wheels like scotch says. It will also look mondo bad ass.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #413
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Nice work on the rad support Chris! I will echo what the others have said about blocking the edges of the tires. Will you be redoing the rear fenders in the same fashion as the fronts? Those fronts turned out really nice!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #414
Chris916
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys!!

Definitely will be blocking off the tires on the edges. I will most likely stop in to canus plastics to pick some stuff up for that as well as ducting for the rad.

I was thinking the plywood would be strong enough supported with a few turnbuckles but now you guys have me doubting that lol. A wrap in fiberglass is'nt a bad idea, or i could step it up to 3/8" plywood but that would add some weight.. Ill look into it!

The adjustable mounting system does sound appealing, however I believe it would be tougher to mount it strongly if i made it adjustable. I was just going to mount it as stiff as possible to the bumper and weld some supports on the subframe for it to sit onto the back.

I was going to do the rears the same as the fronts, but they will have to stay the way they are for this year. Im sick of body work haha.

Also just ordered my wing last night!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #415
Aero
2nd Gear Member

Elite, or pro?

My Youtube Channel
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #416
Chris916
2nd Gear Member

Pro! Sent an e-mail to Brooks yesterday, not expecting a reply until at least today. Cody got back to me 30min later with their recomendation being the Pro for my application. Awesome guys to deal with. Looking forward to getting it on the car! They have a 3-4 week production time so ill have enough time to get it on before the first event!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #417
DIY
Permanently Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris916 View Post
Thanks guys!!

I was thinking the plywood would be strong enough supported with a few turnbuckles but now you guys have me doubting that lol. A wrap in fiberglass is'nt a bad idea, or i could step it up to 3/8" plywood but that would add some weight.. Ill look into it!

The adjustable mounting system does sound appealing, however I believe it would be tougher to mount it strongly if i made it adjustable. I was just going to mount it as stiff as possible to the bumper and weld some supports on the subframe for it to sit onto the back.
if you can get nomex honeycomb from aircraft spruce you can ditch the plywood and go for that, and just wrap it in fiberglass ... that said $'s are involved..

to make it adjustable: attach it to the frame using the same kind of joint the rear antiroll bar uses to attach to the trailing arm.. and your turnbuckles to adjust angle

so forget the turnbuckles in the pic.. but put the single screw on the bottom through the splitter and use the other side to attach to the frame..

hope it helps
Old 03-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #418
Chris916
2nd Gear Member

I think i'm going to keep it simple this year, and if I need to adjust it, ill deal with it next year.

I opted to pick up some 3/8" plywood for strength. Cut out the same shape, just an inch wider on each side.

I dropped the motor back in to check the clearance of the oil pan. It's going to be a tight fit!

Firs coat of paint

Pretty much the final fitment. Still minor adjustments to be made and the rear mounting points to be fabbed up. Also have Brake duct holes to cut out on each side.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #419
Chris916
2nd Gear Member

Haven't gotten around to updating in a while so here is where i'm at.

Bought some parts:

Re-sealed the motor/cleaned it up:

Coolant hose adapter

Back in!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #420
Chris916
2nd Gear Member

Then worked on fixing fuel starvation issue. I picked up a small swirl pot + inline fuel pump. The idea is, in-tank pump feeds the pot, inline pump pulls it out through the filter. Return from the motor then dumps back into the pot were there should always be enough fuel to feed the motor when the slosh in the tank starves the in-tank pump.

Also got the front end back together.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: