Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #31
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Going through this with a relatives car right now. Has a completely emissions-unrelated code but won't pass due to "not-ready." ****ing cash grab to the power of infinity.
Every code is emissions-related. That's the whole point of the system.
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #32
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flyview View Post
If you had an OBDII scanner would you be able to tell if it was going to pass?
No, but apparently MAC tools has a a device that will.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #33
davericher20
black and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Buy said item, rent it out....

Profit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #34
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
my innova 3100 has an emissions status (red/yellow/green)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #35
Arash
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
my innova 3100 has an emissions status (red/yellow/green)
What do the colours mean? Does it indicate which sensors are ready/not ready? I am in the market now for one as I went through a whole lot of headache to get the e-test. Sensors kept on showing not ready even when the MTO procedure was followed. left it over the weekend, tried again Monday morning and it randomly worked, just when I was about to give up hope.

For anyone out there needing emission sometime soon I recommend you get on it sooner rather than later, as it may take days/weeks to get the computer to behave
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #36
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
afaik car needs to be running in closed loop with no codes for emissions to go green

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #37
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

mine has the green/yellow/red too.. interesting.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
Old 03-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #38
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin325 View Post
Jay,

Do you know if these points were recently updated?

"Vehicle must meet or exceed what were the emissions standards for the original motor when all original emission control equipment was functioning (s. 4(2))"

How can this be?
But more importantly...

Quote:
All emissions control equipment must be attached and functioning. Equipment refers to what came with the replacement motor or be equivalent to what would have come with that motor.
So you can actually be failed for having no cats.

I've been trying to get an answer from the Drive Clean guys for a while with regards to what can be considered a crate motor because they have this example on their website...

Quote:
Q: The owner of a 2005 Chevrolet vehicle installed a 2011 crate motor. (The 2011 crate motor was not designed or equipped with any emission components). What are the emission requirements?

A: This vehicle must:
  • meet the visible emission standards
  • meet the emission standards set for the original motor (2005).
  • have all emissions control equipment normally included with the replacement motor (2011), or its equivalent, attached and functioning. Since the crate motor did not come with any emission components, none are required.
  • meet or exceed the 2005 standards for that original motor if a provincial officer asks for a Drive Clean test. Although emissions control equipment is not required, without it, the car would likely fail the Drive Clean test.
I was wondering if you got a custom motor built by a shop if it could be considered a crate motor. They said that I couldn't get hot rod status for my 2.8L stroker motor because all I did was modify the stock motor. I'm arguing that it's a custom motor with custom internals that's derived from an OEM engine block. The same sort of thing you get when you buy a crate motor from GM or Ford. The point of the whole exercise is that it may be possible to argue that a crate motor designed for say... a race car.... did not come with any emissions components. You'll still have to meet the emissions numbers of the original motor, but if you can tune a car to do that without a cat, then you can get away with not having one.

oh and p.s. the new rules are garbage, my father has an older pick up truck (year 2000ish) that passed emissions with no problems two years ago, but because he had a check engine this year (related to evap system) he automatically failed, and the shop couldn't manage to eliminate the source of the check engine so after "$450 worth of repairs" he was able to get the conditional pass. Unless they change the rules, he's likely going to scrap the truck next time emissions testing comes up and get a newer truck because this is ridiculous.

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 03-05-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #39
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Or you can just get them to write you a quote for a single item that will cost over $450 to get your car to pass and you can fill out the conditional pass form and pass with out having to get it fixed.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #40
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
Or you can just get them to write you a quote for a single item that will cost over $450 to get your car to pass and you can fill out the conditional pass form and pass with out having to get it fixed.
Can it just be a quote? It's my understanding that you need to have spent $450 trying to repair the car. If they wrote you up a phony receipt for work that they actually didn't do I could see that working, however that ends up being income that the shop has on the books but didn't actually get, I can't see a shop owner doing that too often as it will cost him when doing taxes.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #41
GTCobra
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm... Thank god I did mine just before new years like almost RIGHT before within days of it lol... Its also good to own an 87 Mustang that needs no emissions mwahahaha love that law
GTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #42
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
torque pro for android will give you I/M readiness. No need to buy an expensive tool
Old 03-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #43
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
torque pro for android will give you I/M readiness. No need to buy an expensive tool
How does it connect to OBDII??

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #44
dcramer
5th Gear Member

http://plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSSTBLUETOOTH

I use this all the time with my phone
Old 03-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #45
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

hmmmmmm....

Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: