Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #31
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one

cormier,

i'm very happy with fibe ATM. I run my torrents at 2.2mb/s during the day, 3.0 mb/s at night, this still leaves enough bandwidth for regular browsing. My ping time roundtrip to most well hosted sites is under 20ms interleaved with other traffic (meaning i get really good ping times even when downloading at 3mb/s and DHT running).

It is very good service. The fibe TV is simple to use. We have 4 receivers in our home, (one of which is a PVR), 3 of them are on gigabit Cat6A, one over coax. My parents who are tech capable but not savvy (horrible pun) aren't having any difficulties with the cable boxes.

i cant comment on the landline as i dont use it and think its a waste of money.

as luis pointed out, the unlimited plans are 10$ ONLY in a bundle (meaning you need to have 3 services from bell, although i believe wireless web or cell service can count as one)

if anyone wants more info or tracert's let me know. i'm using the motorola receivers and the sagemcom modem bell gave us

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, graves
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #32
dbworld4k
Addict

I'm with one of Roger's plans as well, not sure exactly which one. Here are my results:

I, too, constantly go over the download cap. Gotta look into stopping that...

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #33
propr'one
op sucks cock

i know this says 31 days but i reset it on sunday when we got fibe:
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (82.1 KB, 46 views)

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Old 02-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #34
cormier
6th Gear Member

Very cool. May be fun for comparison -- with Rogers currently

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #35
propr'one
op sucks cock

i use a peice of hardware called a slingbox to share my cable TV connection over WAN, so i really need more upload than that. For maximum bandwidth downstream, cable is the way to go now. I was considering teksavvy cable (it uses rogers for last mile delivery, their current best plan is 28/1) but with only 1-2mbps upstream, watching TV at the cottage over my cellular wan is too grainy to be worth it. With my 10mbps upstream connection i can watch HD sports like hockey at the cottage no problem (but it chews bandwidth. Decent picture requires at least 1600-1700kbps up, and HD requires like 3500)

bell is going to be releasing a 50/10 VDSL2+ line which is actually two bonded local loops (it uses four wires instead of two).

i also figure i should note that bell had to run new lines into our house for vdsl2+ to work. (but we're on a single loop for internet)

finally the tech said our area (bloor/jane) should be getting FTTH within 18 months.

deep, i just saw your comment that you dont like DSL. I'm curious, why?

Last edited by propr'one; 02-27-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #36
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
I'm also with Rogers, can't complain about the service, except for the anal raping I get for a monthly bill.

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #37
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

^ what do you grab that needs such high speeds on the down? upstream i can see being of value...but on the down is it not getting to point of diminishing returns now? that's a lot of streaming p0rn in HD

or you have a local cache of the entire internet.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #38
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
I'm currently with Velcom (reseller like teksavvy) on a 6Mbps down/800kbps up aka pretty shit.

I hear their cable service, although officially 400GB bandwith, is actually unlimited as they have no way of monitoring it due to some technical reason (don't know how long this will last). Pretty sure this is the case with teksavvy cable as well. This was a few months ago so I'm not sure if it still applies.

Edit: hmmm looks like they have higher speed DSL (fibe) available as well, and also unlimited plans:
http://www.velcom.ca/pricesontariodsl.htm

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1993 BMW 525i - daily
1994 BMW 325i - sold
1992 BMW 325i - gone
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Last edited by Dr. Flyview; 02-28-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #39
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Check this out ...

http://www.acanac.ca/cable.html

Has anyone been with them in the mississauga area?

They give you a VPN tunnel, FTP, etc etc

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #40
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

^^^ They have some of the worst customer service horror stories - do some searches and you'll be able to see.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #41
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
^^^ They have some of the worst customer service horror stories - do some searches and you'll be able to see.
So I heard but some people are just idiots .. as long as the service is working and I get 95% uptime in the month I can live with it.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #42
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

True - but I've heard the most stories about them, just sayin...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #43
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
True - but I've heard the most stories about them, just sayin...
I know .. and if it were in terms of cancellations or over billing I would definitely not go with them. Right now im with rogers because of bundle packages and bell couldnt compare and neither could teksavvy

Im waiting down the road for the next best thing .. CRTC really shit on the little guys on this one.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #44
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTO View Post
^ what do you grab that needs such high speeds on the down? upstream i can see being of value...but on the down is it not getting to point of diminishing returns now? that's a lot of streaming p0rn in HD

or you have a local cache of the entire internet.
I'm a media whore, I d/l lots of HD movies, documentaries & liveset music, I also like to stream some live events & go online & play games at the same time, I already think it's slow, when I want something I want it yesterday

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #45
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Excellent thread, moving in a month or so and wanted to get rid of my rogers internet because I constantly go over the 60GB cap and pay extra.
Since we won't pay for cable anymore in the newplace, we will probably end up streaming and downloading a lot so more GB per month is mandatory.
Will call teksavvy and see what they say.

Anyone with experience in the bathurst/steeles area that can confirm if teksavvy is the way to go?
Just letting you know Bathurst / Steeles is Russia central. I hope you know Russian lol.

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: