Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin325 View Post
Swapped engine qualifies as "hot rod status" (the displacement has to be higher though) - since the car is originally a 2.5 liter but now its 3.2 liter you can run it under "hot rod".
And there were no problems re-registering it? what did insurance say? did you have problems re-insuring?

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #17
kevin325
AMG ETR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
And there were no problems re-registering it? what did insurance say? did you have problems re-insuring?
None. I let them know my original motor had blown up and I replaced it with a another BMW motor which just happens to have a slightly larger displacement.

Rate didn't go up either since the car is technically still a "325Ci".

kevin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
You forgot to mention that even with the basic 2 stage idle test, it will cost you more than the $39, it is almost $80..

With the ODB test and based on what is happening now, most cars fail, even used car dealers are complaining..

bottom line. it cost more to do the new ODB emission test ....
I hadn't heard about the cost increase, but I'm not at all surprised now that you mention it

Used dealers probably have it the worst because they're often working on a car, or at least charging a dead battery, and then immediately trying to get the car e-tested so they can sell it. In this case the readiness monitors might not be ready without a drive cycle. But most people aren't going to have this problem.
jrsmitchell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
I hadn't heard about the cost increase, but I'm not at all surprised now that you mention it

Used dealers probably have it the worst because they're often working on a car, or at least charging a dead battery, and then immediately trying to get the car e-tested so they can sell it. In this case the readiness monitors might not be ready without a drive cycle. But most people aren't going to have this problem.
Here is an article by Eric Lai from Wheels.ca

In response to complaints from drivers and dealers — highlighted by several stories and columns in Wheels — the province is tweaking its controversial Drive Clean testing process.

Effective immediately, Drive Clean will now allow a conditional pass to be issued after two “not ready” tests, under certain conditions.

As of Jan. 1, Drive Clean tests have tapped into the vehicle’s OBD (on-board diagnostics) system, instead of using a dynamometer and tailpipe gas sensor. Readings from your car’s computer determine whether it’s an emissions pass, fail, or “not ready” (also considered a fail).

More: Drive Clean changes causing big headaches

More: Drive Clean test has outlived its usefulness

I sounded the alarm in a column even before the new test began and Wheels has been turning up the heat ever since. Frank Romeo, who writes our Dealer column and is president of the Trillium Automobile Dealers Association, has been chronicling the mounting frustration among dealers.

Dealers, because of the sheer volume of e-tests they require, were infuriated that newer used cars (unlikely to fail for emissions) couldn’t pass the e-test because the OBD system was “not ready” — usually because the vehicle’s battery had been disconnected or the OBD reset during repairs or maintenance.

And Drive Clean’s suggested driving cycle to prepare vehicles for the test was both time consuming and didn’t always work.

Some horror stories include a 2008 VW Jetta owner who had a “not ready” failure. He drove 1,000 km, yet the OBD still wasn’t ready on the re-test. Another motorist drove for two weeks, still tested “not ready,” and feared not being able to renew his plate on time.

Peter Gerson of GB Auto Service in Thornhill advises that certain vehicle makes apparently cannot pass the OBD test and instead require a two-speed idle (gas analyzer) test.

The inherent problem with OBD testing is that it doesn’t take into account the effects of winter temperatures on vehicles, says Gerson. The evaporative system may not operate fully in cold weather, so the on-board computer can never complete the self-test and give the monitor a “ready” status.

Under the changes announced Thursday, a conditional pass can be issued after two “not ready” tests, provided that:

-At least 24 hours have passed between tests.

-The vehicle has been driven at least 30 km between tests.

-The battery was not disconnected nor OBD codes cleared within the last 30 km.

-The number of “not ready” monitors hasn’t increased.

As a result, the total e-test cost is $52.50 ($35 test plus $17.50 retest).

Resale vehicles that have failed twice for “not ready” can pass a two-speed idle tailpipe test instead. However, not all Drive Clean facilities are equipped for such tests.

In that scenario, the total e-test cost is $87.50 ($35 OBD test, plus $17.50 retest, plus $35 two-speed idle test).

However, the changes do not apply to vehicles with the “check engine” light illuminated, which remains an automatic fail and must be investigated and corrected.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin325 View Post
None. I let them know my original motor had blown up and I replaced it with a another BMW motor which just happens to have a slightly larger displacement.

Rate didn't go up either since the car is technically still a "325Ci".
thats awesome .. I just got a chubby

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Old 02-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #21
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Since Kev's hot rod status is being discussed here a lot I thought anyone interested should read the Drive Clean site for more details. There's a few small points that are important to know.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...OD_098201.html

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
kevin325
AMG ETR

Jay,

Do you know if these points were recently updated?

"Vehicle must meet or exceed what were the emissions standards for the original motor when all original emission control equipment was functioning (s. 4(2))"

How can this be?

kevin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I'm not sure Kev, but I agree with your suspicion that they were changed. I think the old laws simply put you up against the 1980 standards by default.

That said, I've seen swapped and boosted cars pass under 318i limits. It's not that hard to achieve the M54 stats with a setup like yours but you'll probably need to add a cat downstream.

@stancejay
Mystikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #24
Arash
6th Gear Member

Just dealing with this on a recently purchased vehicle and going through the said 'drive cycle'

This is absolute bs, can't believe they get away with imposing this kinda shit onto people
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #25
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Interesting, so if everything reported by the OBD is good, they don't even physically measure emissions.

And for OBD-1 cars they do a 2-stage idle test from the start?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - gone
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #26
marek
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arash View Post
Just dealing with this on a recently purchased vehicle and going through the said 'drive cycle'

This is absolute bs, can't believe they get away with imposing this kinda shit onto people
There are problems with this test as the OBD can't perform an EVAP test when it is too cold outside (IAT reading to low to perform test). You will get a "not ready" and you can potentially fail, even on brand new cars.
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #27
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by marek View Post
There are problems with this test as the OBD can't perform an EVAP test when it is too cold outside (IAT reading to low to perform test). You will get a "not ready" and you can potentially fail, even on brand new cars.
is there a workaround?

I think if you put some heat on the LDP Vacuum solenoid or just warm up the car in general it should be good. The rubber diaphragm just needs to be warm enough to move properly so you dont get a code.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #28
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

this isnt new anymore...

and its such cash grab bs. its wayyyyyyyyyy easier to make the computer happy and check out ok than it is to fake a tailpipe reading.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #29
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Going through this with a relatives car right now. Has a completely emissions-unrelated code but won't pass due to "not-ready." ****ing cash grab to the power of infinity.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #30
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
If you had an OBDII scanner would you be able to tell if it was going to pass?

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - gone
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: