Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
TF3N
1st Gear Newbie

Weird Request: Anyone down to drive my car? lol

I'm ready to get ripped on for this one... Here it goes:

I bought by 2002 325i in July. I drove a few and this one felt the best. It had 120,000km when I bought it - I seriously thought it rode like a brand new car.

I just drove my friends 2003 325i with 160,000km and it drove much better than mine. Her steering feels heavy, mine feels loose in comparison.

I'm thinking it's because she has the sport package and I don't, but now my car suddenly leaves more to be desired and I'm wondering if I need to replace some steering/suspension components.

So, are there any self proclaimed E46 experts who would be down to take my car for a boot and give me an idea of what I may need(if anything) to make it ride perfect again? I'm planing on purchasing a set of coilovers anyway, but I'm thinking it may need more than just suspension to feel tight like the other car.

Again, I know it's a strange request... just figured I'd ask.

Last edited by TF3N; 01-12-2013 at 03:22 PM.
TF3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

I'm always down to drive other cars--but I think you might want to consider the obvious...and most noticeable.

1. steering components may indeed be worn (tie rods especially!) Check them.
2. what is the condition of the tires? Are they good to start with? You'd be amazed at the difference good tires make
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
starbuck
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't mind buuut, if you are feeling a difference in handling and such, it could be a lot of things .. I bought my 2000 323i and I thought that was a vast improvement over my civic. However I too drove a friends e46 a month later and his was noticeably more controlled and tight all around.

I replaced my front control arm bushings(common wear item), rear trailing arm bushings, upgraded front struts to sport suspension, rear shocks+springs to sport suspension, and most importantly new tires. I picked up a set of Bridgestone potenzas for a square setup 225/40r18.

My car handles much better now and the power transfer to the ground feels more stable

Honestly I didn't spend as much as most ppl would expect on this.. A little over 1k, but well worth it
starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Amit
2nd Gear Member

I'm sure you'll find a bunch of takers to drive your car (I'm one of them) but to be honest why don't you just take it to a shop like RMP? They'll probably give you the best assessment and advice.

As TSI said - check the tires first, they make a huge difference.
Amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

This is a great idea OP after a stranger drives your car, take their advice to your bmw mechanic and have him fix or replace the parts the stranger who drove your car recommended.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
Barnsdale
2nd Gear Member

When I first bought my E46 the steering felt much to be desired and I put on a Eibach Pro Kit and replaced both tie rod ends and it gave the car a whole new feel, plus aesthetically it looks much better now.

As one of the members suggested, take it to RMP and find out if you need anything replaced and have them upgrade the suspension (I didn't spend the extra money for coilovers and based on the feel before and after installing the Eibach Pro kit - I'm happy with the money I did spend on the springs alone).
Barnsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
ptrcd003
1st Gear Newbie

Replace the steering guibo.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13077875
ptrcd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
EricTsang
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit View Post
I'm sure you'll find a bunch of takers to drive your car (I'm one of them) but to be honest why don't you just take it to a shop like RMP? They'll probably give you the best assessment and advice.

As TSI said - check the tires first, they make a huge difference.
I agree. Besides the TS already knew his car drives way different from her friend's car. TS just take your car to RMP or any other Max sponsor shop. Let the pros to the diagnoses you'll get it fixed anyway yah
EricTsang is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: