Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Blades
Your opinion is to long

New rules regarding "Check Engine light" at mechanics

From what I heard they are changing the laws about emissions and if someone were to bring a car in to the mechanic with a check engine light they cannot take the car until that problem is fixed (or something along those lines)

Anyone else hear this or know more about it?

I guess buying a reset computer might be handy to have if you have an older car as I heard they are going to be problematic in terms of this new rule.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
I guess buying a reset computer might be handy to have if you have an older car as I heard they are going to be problematic in terms of this new rule.

Nope that won't help either.

When then run the E-test, they check for I/M Readiness. If you CEL has recently been reset, the I/M protocols won't be "ready" and they're know the computer was just reset.

Read more here:

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...OD_102286.html
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I've been told that the new testing will allow for 1 not ready on the results, providing it isn't a major fault like misfiring, 02 sensors, etc.
Nearly every single older European car will have a fault for the evap system (gas cap or vacuum line somewhere), nothing that effects the performance of it.

In any case, they are trying to kill the used car market.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Thats such bullshit .. cant believe the government is getting away with this. It makes sense to get rid of those people not taking care of there cars and polluting the environment but if its something minor you cant get your car back from the mechanic I can see a lot of small claim court cases arising. I bet a lot of mechanics don't like the idea of this .. or maybe they do .. i dunno

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Old 02-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Just reading the website .. this would help in buying a used car to make sure it is "ready" when its emission tested (not screwed with) so this way you could tell if the engine was working correctly in the last little while.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
Nope that won't help either.

When then run the E-test, they check for I/M Readiness. If you CEL has recently been reset, the I/M protocols won't be "ready" and they're know the computer was just reset.

Read more here:

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...OD_102286.html
basically all the sensors have to be live and the car has to be running in closed loop. you can definitely reset the car, drive it for 20 mins, and pass.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
kevin325
AMG ETR

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
basically all the sensors have to be live and the car has to be running in closed loop. you can definitely reset the car, drive it for 20 mins, and pass.
What if your DME is by passing lets say, post 02 sensors? Will that show up as "not ready"?

I passed last year with flying colors even with no cats and a S/C when they tested my car under "hot rod status".

kevin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^you are exempt from the rules as a hot rod.

the whole point of O2 sensors is they trick the ECU into thinking you're stoich. should pass just fine.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
kevin325
AMG ETR

Love the new rules

Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Stupid new test - they should repeal and put back the old system.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin325 View Post
Love the new rules
How did you get your car registered as a "hot rod"

I know kit cars go under the same rules.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
sb_600
5th Gear Member

If you think about it, this new test makes WAY more sense than the old one.

Car manufacturers are required to meet federal emission standards throughout the "useful life" of the vehicle, which is roughly 193,000km (120k mi). The OBD system is put in place to ensure that the car is performing at a level that does not cause the vehicle emissions to rise above an appropriate threshold.

Basically, this test just confirms that your car is running as the manufacturer intended (unless you "cheated" or defeated the system in some way). IMO, it's logical.

The only downfall is that past 193,000km, the manufacturer has no obligation to ensure the systems are reliable. So after that mileage, you might see things like catalytic converters, etc. deteriorating to the point where expensive repairs are needed to pass this test.
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

I also think the new system makes more sense, and for most people it will actually be easier to pass.

Model years 1988 to 1997 will get a basic 2-stage idle test. This shouldn't be done on the rollers, it's similar to how they used to test AWD cars. In my experience this is quite easy to pass if you car is running moderately well.

Newer model years will get the OBDII computer scan. If your MIL/CEL is on you're not going to pass but at least you know this in advance As for readiness monitors, Models 1998 to 2000 can have two monitors set to Not Ready and models 2001+ can have one monitor set to Not Ready.
jrsmitchell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
I also think the new system makes more sense, and for most people it will actually be easier to pass.

Model years 1988 to 1997 will get a basic 2-stage idle test. This shouldn't be done on the rollers, it's similar to how they used to test AWD cars. In my experience this is quite easy to pass if you car is running moderately well.

Newer model years will get the OBDII computer scan. If your MIL/CEL is on you're not going to pass but at least you know this in advance As for readiness monitors, Models 1998 to 2000 can have two monitors set to Not Ready and models 2001+ can have one monitor set to Not Ready.
You forgot to mention that even with the basic 2 stage idle test, it will cost you more than the $39, it is almost $80..

With the ODB test and based on what is happening now, most cars fail, even used car dealers are complaining..

bottom line. it cost more to do the new ODB emission test ....
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
kevin325
AMG ETR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
How did you get your car registered as a "hot rod"

I know kit cars go under the same rules.
Swapped engine qualifies as "hot rod status" (the displacement has to be higher though) - since the car is originally a 2.5 liter but now its 3.2 liter you can run it under "hot rod".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: