Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #16
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

I want a m3 not a 330.and I rather have two M's than one mint 330.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #17
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
I would not even test drive that M3 when I saw that wheel. This must be some sort of joke. . An 330Ci is also overkill for Toronto when you see that this city is drowning in traffic, and no soultions on a hirozon.....
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #18
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

That wheel is fixed !! Go there and see for your self.and!!! I'm not entering it a car show.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #19
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

it's still a m3. And it's going to be mine this weekend.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #20
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Looks like it could use some TLC, but if you are handy, it shouldn't be a problem bringing it back up to shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
I will never be buying an SMG, and this is the car which convinced me against it.
Any particular reason why? IMO it's a better compromise than a fully automatic car for those come from a manual but need a semi auto for other reasons. At slow speeds it isn't as good as a dual clutch, but your also not getting a dual clutch performance car around this price point. If you are coming from an automatic, then I understand why you wouldn't like it.

For less than $20k, there really isn't a better sequential gearbox in a car that offers this much performance. Anything else and your stuck with an auto. I didn't mind it and was looking for an SMG car so my wife could drive it. I couldn't find an e46 in a color combo I wanted or I would have bought one. Now im looking for something newer.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #21
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

I have a 6 speed car,and I liked my buddys smg .so just wanted one .but not to brake the bank.

Last edited by 2bmwguy; 02-21-2013 at 09:35 AM.
2bmwguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #22
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
i disagree with what most of the people posted in this thread.

i bought one of my recent cars quite cheap cause it needed some work. all said and some, i did lots of the work myself, i have a great mechanic i trust 100% to do the rest, and now i have a car that is worth a fair bit more than i have in it.

s54's are bulletproof, outside of the vanos cam failure and bearings in the bottom end. if you are looking for a showcar you would've bought something else. if you just want something fast to bomb around in, you're in a good way. just make sure the SMG is good, cause that can be a huge expense right up front.

BTW i've seen a few e46 m3's sell on ebay for 8-10K US. I promised myself something AWD for winter, though.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit

Last edited by propr'one; 02-21-2013 at 09:22 AM.
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #23
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

Exactly!! I just wanna rip,not look gay about it.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #24
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

And BTW some here may know I have 2 little kids ,two mortgage,so...I'm good with my cars.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #25
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Enjoy it, sometimes people do not want the "creme-de-la-creme" because they know it will be used heavily and eventually get scuffed up, dinged up, etc.

I've driven 2 SMG cars, e60 550iMsport and e60 M5 and I absolutely HATED it other than the fact it felt really cool to shift F1 style. To each their own.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #26
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
I've driven 2 SMG cars, e60 550iMsport and e60 M5 and I absolutely HATED it other than the fact it felt really cool to shift F1 style. To each their own.
Saying you hate something without stating why is a pretty useless comment, just sounds like your jumping on the hate bandwagon
Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #27
E36&8
2nd Gear Member

Good price! I am sure this one is Made in Germany!!
E36&8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #28
2bmwguy
M5 EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36&8 View Post
Good price! I am sure this one is Made in Germany!!
Lol.thx
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #29
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Looks like it could use some TLC, but if you are handy, it shouldn't be a problem bringing it back up to shape.

Any particular reason why? IMO it's a better compromise than a fully automatic car for those come from a manual but need a semi auto for other reasons. At slow speeds it isn't as good as a dual clutch, but your also not getting a dual clutch performance car around this price point. If you are coming from an automatic, then I understand why you wouldn't like it.

For less than $20k, there really isn't a better sequential gearbox in a car that offers this much performance. Anything else and your stuck with an auto. I didn't mind it and was looking for an SMG car so my wife could drive it. I couldn't find an e46 in a color combo I wanted or I would have bought one. Now im looking for something newer.

This is the second SMG I’ve driven. Both were similar experiences, although the first M3 I test drove was under better conditions. (open road, little traffic, more time since not on my lunch break) Now, granted there is definitely a learning curve and certain “tricks” an SMG driver will learn over time, the whole design seems like a one-off concept in its infancy. Having the flappy paddles turn WITH the wheel was one of my biggest pet peeves, and a major design flaw in my opinion. It creates confusion, and difficulty for a driver to adjust to one shifting method (paddles VS shifter).

Auto mode as I’m sure 9/10 M3 drivers agree is abysmal, jerky, and unpredictable given the many driving situations one faces on a daily basis.
Even in a normal S3-S4 mode, SMG will be occasionally annoy you with a lurch or jerk when you’re just trying to drive leisurely.
Taking off quickly from a standstill can prove to be dangerous as the driveline isn’t as responsive. There are many scenarios I could divulge.

I didn’t mention the expensive ~3k pump repair that is a given with this technology, on top of the clutch/flywheel which can easily be damaged by someone unfamiliar with how a manual gearbox works.

If I wanted a compromise, dual-clutch gearboxes are readily available in GTI’s, and they work flawlessly.
That said, I understand the desire it fulfils to throw it into auto mode for city driving, and also the enthusiast mindset that “I have an actual manual gearbox in there”.
To each their own.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #30
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Saying you hate something without stating why is a pretty useless comment, just sounds like your jumping on the hate bandwagon
No Clutch ..

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: