Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

E39 passenger seat belt

I have a 2002 525i with a very moody passenger seat belt! It gets locked for now reason (not while being worn though). So sometimes the passenger tries to pull it to put it on, and it just wouldn't be pulled. Often times I have to stop, and the passenger has to open the door and close for it to move again. If someone unlocks it while the car is moving and then tries to put it on, it just locks in place and wouldn't stretch anymore. So it has to roll at the way back and keep trying until it can be pulled again. I had the same problem with my 2002 530i, and I am wondering what's wrong.

Is anybody else facing a similar problem? Is it supposed to act like this by design (I read something about child seat feature), or is it broken? Any helpful feedback is much appreciated.
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
CBimmer
2nd Gear Member

Yuup, Same Boat!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
david528
2nd Gear Member

A few of my customer cars have had this problem (not just BMW).

Do this:
get a diluted bucket of soapy warm water (few drops of dish soap in a bucket will do) and a clean towel/old tshirt

slowly and gently pull the seat belt all the way out until there's no more left to pull. Get the towel damp, and slowly wipe the seatbelt as you let it retract. Dunk the towel a few times in between and ring it out and continue to wipe the belt as it is retracting (so you don't spread the dirt around).

If the belt still getting stuck, repeat, except this time, get some clear silicon lube and give the slot where the belt comes out a few shots while the belt is fully out (don't soak it), you're trying to hit the retractor wheel in the pillar.
david528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for the advise but here is what worked for me. I did not do your advise because I just read it now and the issue has been resolved.

The problem was that the belt did not retract all the way back because it got stuck on the back side support of the seat, and so when someone tried to pull it, it was already locked. What I did is that I moved the seat a bit so the belt won't get stuck on it and so now it retracts fully. Never had a problem with it ever since the posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david528 View Post
A few of my customer cars have had this problem (not just BMW).

Do this:
get a diluted bucket of soapy warm water (few drops of dish soap in a bucket will do) and a clean towel/old tshirt

slowly and gently pull the seat belt all the way out until there's no more left to pull. Get the towel damp, and slowly wipe the seatbelt as you let it retract. Dunk the towel a few times in between and ring it out and continue to wipe the belt as it is retracting (so you don't spread the dirt around).

If the belt still getting stuck, repeat, except this time, get some clear silicon lube and give the slot where the belt comes out a few shots while the belt is fully out (don't soak it), you're trying to hit the retractor wheel in the pillar.
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
525i, 530i, belt, passenger, seat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: