Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #286
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

Damn, son! That is messed up!!

What if your tranny is fine all along and this loose flywheel wasn't helping with proper clutching?

Check the thickness of this UUC plate vs stock M20b25 plate. Also, there was that spacer ring that went between the fly and crank...did you have that there?

When i put the M20 flywheel on my m52, I initially used the m52 bolts, but to my surprise they were a different length than the m20...perhaps because it was dual mass? I ended up using the m20 bolts and all was well.

1. check for that spacer
2. check the thickness of the inner diameter.

this is so weird...
Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #287
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post
Ill have to take some with a ruler when I'm back up at the car.
It should be obvious. Are the bolts about as long as an E30 caliper bolt or wheel bolt, or longer? The stock bolts are like twice as long because they're designed for the thick dual mass wheel.

Quote:
Not a fan of Rob eh?
Negative
Old 02-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #288
cormier
6th Gear Member

Don't remember them being longer than your examples. If they were longer-- they'd bottomed out though right?

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #289
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Don't remember them being longer than your examples. If they were longer-- they'd bottomed out though right?
Not sure but the cockstain sent me the wrong bolts with the wheel and it was clear to me that they were needlessly long. Well, I shouldn't say he did, I would never send him money directly. I bought the wheel from a distributor. But I found out that the bolts are just OEM E30 caliper bolts, and bought a set from the dealer.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #290
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
The 'pitting' is from it walking around on the crankshaft... Hard to say how deep the marks are, if its not too bad maybe a machine shop could skim it to clean it up.

Also, its strange why there are thread marks inside the bolt holes... are the holes too small?
If the flywheel bolts were loose the threads would have been bearing the load of the flywheel rotating rather than the head of the bolt. The bolts essentially roll formed a thread into the flywheel over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
What if your tranny is fine all along and this loose flywheel wasn't helping with proper clutching?

Check the thickness of this UUC plate vs stock M20b25 plate. Also, there was that spacer ring that went between the fly and crank...did you have that there?

When i put the M20 flywheel on my m52, I initially used the m52 bolts, but to my surprise they were a different length than the m20...perhaps because it was dual mass? I ended up using the m20 bolts and all was well.

1. check for that spacer
2. check the thickness of the inner diameter.
If you look at the pics he just posted you can see the torque plate on the flywheel. Also it does not go between the flywheel and the crank, it goes under the heads of the crank bolts to help distribute the bolt torque evenly over the surface of the flywheel.

Also, a loose flywheel isn't going to prevent you from getting into second gear but allow you to get into all the other gears.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #291
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
If the flywheel bolts were loose the threads would have been bearing the load of the flywheel rotating rather than the head of the bolt. The bolts essentially roll formed a thread into the flywheel over time.
The flywheel will not move that much as it is centered in place on the crank, and also located on the dowel. Notice the galling marks are the worst on the opposite side of the dowel, but same amount of thread marks around each of the holes... I'm wondering if the holes are the incorrect size, or the bolts were wrong as well.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #292
cormier
6th Gear Member

Interesting theory about the bolts rotating...

The missing screw is opposite the dowel as well, good point.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #293
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
The flywheel will not move that much as it is centered in place on the crank, and also located on the dowel. Notice the galling marks are the worst on the opposite side of the dowel, but same amount of thread marks around each of the holes... I'm wondering if the holes are the incorrect size, or the bolts were wrong as well.
Well if anything the holes would have been too big, because if they were too small you'd know when trying to put the bolts in because you wouldn't be able to thread them in by hand.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #294
cormier
6th Gear Member

... But if the plate and bolts were properly torqued and it was centred on the crank, it wouldn't matter if the holes were a bit big would it?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #295
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Quote:

This reminded me of another potential cause: what if you didn't line up dowel? you could probably still torque it down but it would cause a bit of vibration and may actually be the cause for the bolts loosening...
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #296
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
This reminded me of another potential cause: what if you didn't line up dowel? you could probably still torque it down but it would cause a bit of vibration and may actually be the cause for the bolts loosening...
I'd agree with you, but I'm sure I would have looked when putting it on... It wouldn't have sat flush either

Old 02-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #297
sb_600
5th Gear Member

fair enough, just throwing it out there I almost did mine that way but noticed when I was torqueing it down that something was weird lol

Old 02-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #298
cormier
6th Gear Member

Ya it's a good point. Ill have to have another look at the dowel and see if it fits the other holes... And the bolts and flywheel holes. It's definitely not happening again just because that tranny was just a biotch to get off

Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #299
cormier
6th Gear Member

In other news, I'm looking for solutions to my guibo/selector rod clearance issue.

I had planned to move the rear bracket up, but that may throw off the angle of the shifter slightly. Also, as I have an early model I'm missing the little tabs that drop down from the body and lock into the bracket as shown here

Thinking of making a bracket and welding or bolting it onto the chassis to make sure the carrier bracket is secure and won't drop or rotate

The other solution would be to spring and go with the AKG DSSR, which is very angled for added guibo clearance. This is obviously lacking in the UUC design.

http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog...e36%20Shifters

Old 02-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #300
sb_600
5th Gear Member

You're supposed to bend the UUC rod. If it's still straight, then yeah - do that.

are you running solid transmission mounts? If so, then cut the carrier off and weld/bolt it to the transmission tunnel (that's what i'm going to do!)

If you do go with the AKG one LMK and I'll buy the UUC one off you (i have the short one made for the getrag, so it won't fit with my ZF).

Tags
build, dohc, e30, engine swap, s52

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: