Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
AutoWerkez
2nd Gear Member

Mini Project, E46 328CI

Hey everybody, my name is Ajith, I'm new to this forum but I thought I'd start a little write up as I go through this project so I could get some insights with the work I'm doing to the car.

So the project I'm undergoing is a 2000 E46 328CI that I got from my brother for free just because it needed a lot of work and he couldn't sell it for a decent price even if he sold it to a blind guy.

So lets start out with the good

GOOD
-Body has zero rust
-Motor has low km
-Interior has no rips or cuts

now lets get to the bad

BAD
-Motor runs rough
-coolant leaks at the expansion tank
-oil leaks everywhere!
-VANOS rattle
-All four ABS speed sensors gone
-Tires are way past 0/32...
-Front bumper has damage
-Hood dented in a tiny bit, so kidney grills don't fit properly...

basically a lot of f***ed up stuff.

quite the light show...

Here you can see the front bumper damage and the hood damage.

and now the cars tucked away until parts start coming through.

I'll keep updating as I work on the car!
AutoWerkez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
cormier
6th Gear Member

Wow lots of work! Love the colour and the body tho! Those things are important lol

cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Before you do ANYTHING to this motor, get it checked firts! NO point of fixing oil leaks if you end up replacing the engine two weeks later! Since you got the car for free, you can just get a good running engine and replace ALL the seals before droping it in, along with the cooling system. This will give you YEARS of trouble free enjoyment.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
AutoWerkez
2nd Gear Member

I know the motors fine, I work part time for nissan and I got some techs just to help me out and check the car out for me, motor is in good shape, thank god the car was topped up every now and then by my brother. This build is going to be fun
Old 11-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
AutoWerkez
2nd Gear Member

Smile Some parts have come in !

Water pump, expansion tank, valve cover gasket, vanos unit gasket, double vanos seal kit, and four abs speed sensors, Just waiting on my CCV and oil lines cause I'm sure they are all on the verge of cracking and probably will crack when I pull em out , Can't wait til my final exams done, finish up part one of my build!

Feels like christmas

A wise mechanic once told me, "working on cars is like sex, you have to know where to touch and how to push."

Follow Me on Instagram @_instashift !
Old 11-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Nice! Looks like a fun winter to come...

If on;y I could get a free car like that, I'd be over the moon!
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
dbworld4k
Addict

I love seeing cars with potential being rescued from the brink of becoming scrap. Looking forward to the restoration build!

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
AutoWerkez
2nd Gear Member

Thanks TSI and dbworld4k,

and if anyone would be to add a little insight to whether or not shortened end links will be required if I get a set of HSD HR coilovers, I consider doing a 2 inch or more drop. I know the most educated thing to do would be to get adjustable end links but since I'm a student I'm trying to not spend unnecessary money until I'm done school. If anyone could share some light on my question I'd be very thankful!

A wise mechanic once told me, "working on cars is like sex, you have to know where to touch and how to push."

Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Good luck, not that bad really , sounds like the crap we do day in and out. All stuff your bro neglected over the years but all very common things. A good mechanic could get that all taken care of in a couple days.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
AutoWerkez
2nd Gear Member

So its about time I finally got some work started, so before I did anything serious I needed to wash the exterior and clean up the inside of the car cause it was filthy, I got the exterior just about right just waiting to give it a nice polish and a nice coat of wax, but today I just planned on swapping the expansion tank and water pump.

First I removed the air box, radiator things that would get in my way when I am replacing the expansion tank and radiator.

You can find straight forward diy's to take out the water pump but just make sure you have m6 bolts to help push out the water pump because it will be sealed in there tightly.

old vs new water pump

Got so angry when my brother put coolant leak sealant through the expansion tank to "try and fix" the leaks, the stuff doesnt work, just leaves a big fat mess, definitely needa run a coolant flush to clear out the system.

Picture of the water pump housing

So just put my new expansion tank beside the old one, really should change these things early if they are leaking, causes the biggest mess.

And basically in removal of taking the water pump out I snapped one bolt, even with using a 1/4 ratchet and the slightest force, oh well, waiting til tomorrow to go by bmw and buy 4 new bolts.

Note to self: When working on this car, expect everything to go wrong. lmao

Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
AutoWerkez
2nd Gear Member

Ended up finishing this part of the project the day after I put up these pictures, and a note of advice, if you ever use coolant seal liquids or whatever, it can cause the water valve (heater valve) to jam up, I ended up cleaning that as well, blows hot air and running a little bit smoother.

Now my plans for February are rebuild the vanos, install my ccv, get my clutch replaced, and also I'm having a start up issue, I believe its fuel pump related because it will start for a split second then die out, and I can't hear the fuel pump going so I will diagnose that soon and hopefully it will only be a blown fuse if not then .

I also am trying out these coilovers that I've heard pretty good things about from the vw guys I know, solo werkes s1's, going to be ordered and installed in March-April and got a new set of rims, and some other little goodies.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
dbworld4k
Addict

Why didn't he just replace the expansion tank?! It's relatively inexpensive... fcpalm

Good to see some progress being made.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
cormier
6th Gear Member

Nice -- VMR wheels?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #14
AutoWerkez
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post
Nice -- VMR wheels?
Yup got them for a steal, 18x8.5s et35 all around, I can't deal with staggered set ups for now, my pockets aren't that deep haha

Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
cormier
6th Gear Member

They're pretty sweet regardless, I think I have the same in a silver finish....with some curb rash accents :p

Tags
bmw e46 328ci project

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: