Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #16
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by calegrant View Post

Dirt only for me!
Not bad at all, but I like to go for a long and fast ride. Here is my '09 Allez with a full shimano 105. Picked up the frame with a carbon stays at the back as well. Pitched in a few bills on cateye, fizik doble and SPD pedals to top up 2K in total back than.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1118-1.jpg (326.0 KB, 73 views)
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
+1, now about when you clamp it on a carbon frame?
At the shop we just use a microfibre cloth around the carbon tube and don't clamp it super tight, or we have a totally different stand that attaches to the bike at the front or rear dropouts:
http://www.parktool.com/product/team-race-stand-prs-20

If you have multiple bikes with different sized seat tubes there is also this tool that allows you to clamp to the inside of the seat tube:
http://www.parktool.com/product/inte...be-clamp-isc-4
This tool doesn't really work if you have an aero shaped seat tube
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
lvan
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair View Post
At the shop we just use a microfibre cloth around the carbon tube and don't clamp it super tight, or we have a totally different stand that attaches to the bike at the front or rear dropouts:
http://www.parktool.com/product/team-race-stand-prs-20

If you have multiple bikes with different sized seat tubes there is also this tool that allows you to clamp to the inside of the seat tube:
http://www.parktool.com/product/inte...be-clamp-isc-4
This tool doesn't really work if you have an aero shaped seat tube
That's what I tried to do. BTW Whats the best way to learn how to true the wheels. It seems easy, not not so easy when you start. Thanks
Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #19
daytona
6th Gear Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/default.aspx

I picked up a some tools from here...
Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #20
lvan
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona View Post
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/default.aspx

I picked up a some tools from here...
Sweet webpage, but how they do on shipping? For example, www.nashbar.com is very good with pricing, but they rape you on shipping.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #21
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
BTW Whats the best way to learn how to true the wheels. It seems easy, not not so easy when you start. Thanks
The best way to learn is with a crappy wheel, a good spoke wrench, and a ton of patience.

There are a few sites online with basics, like this:
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/tech-tu...-101-2010.html
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 01-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #22
daytona
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Sweet webpage, but how they do on shipping? For example, www.nashbar.com is very good with pricing, but they rape you on shipping.
free shipping over $100cdn plus %90 of time no duties!...
Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #23
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Quote:
The best way to learn is with a crappy wheel, a good spoke wrench, and a ton of patience.
This is Key.

I still suck at truing hops though.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #24
lvan
6th Gear Member

^Yup. Thanks guys. See many shops will do it for $10 a wheel, but it takes time when they are busy, so I would rather do it myself.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #25
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW BMXer View Post
I still suck at truing hops though.
BMX wheels are kind of a pain due to the number of spokes, small diameter and inherit beefiness. Outside of small warps they usually bend/dent.

Road wheels are the easiest to true I find, unless they're super high-end high tension wheels.

Really though I have yet to need to true wheels on either of my road bikes, I'm over 200lbs, run 130-150psi tires, and I bunnyhop over curbs and railway tracks.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #26
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Both my wheels are 36 now. 48 was a right bitch.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #27
lvan
6th Gear Member

Quote:
BMX wheels are kind of a pain due to the number of spokes, small diameter and inherit beefiness. Outside of small warps they usually bend/dent.

Road wheels are the easiest to true I find, unless they're super high-end high tension wheels.

Really though I have yet to need to true wheels on either of my road bikes, I'm over 200lbs, run 130-150psi tires, and I bunnyhop over curbs and railway tracks.
Btw since we are touching on the bikes and wheelsets, how do I know what's a decent road bike carbon frame? I think these days the carbon frames with 105 shimano go for around $2000. Are these frames any good? I want to try a full carbon frame, but I don't want to get one just because it's a carbon one. Is there a certain grade to look for?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #28
thinair
moderationistismingly

From what I've noticed pretty much every brand has their own proprietary flavour of carbon they like to say is the best. Some lower end full carbon fibre frames still have internal aluminum lugs at the head tube, bottom bracket and seat clamp. I really don't know enough to say that Pinarello's carbon is better than Look's carbon for example, or any brand for that matter. My general rule is see what technologies the top end bikes use for their frame for a particular brand, and see how far down the models those technologies trickle down to. It's not uncommon to see an $8000 road bike spec'd with Dura-Ace, and then have the same or similar frame with 105 for sell for $2500 within the same brand.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #29
lvan
6th Gear Member

^Thanks for the detailed write up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: