Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #136
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Installed the carrier bushing bracket.

Passed and zip tied my air ride lines.

Next is to make sure every thing is tight, install crossmember and drop the engine
mtlbloodshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #137
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 --

Finally got the engine in!

Started by getting the cross member set in. Torqued every single bolt to spec. I was worried about having problems with the steering knuckle but I used a air gun to push it on the steering column.

Cut my copper fuel lines and placed rubber fuel hoses at the ends.

Then finally. It was time to put the motor where it belongs. I had to remove the harness off the engine.

NOTE** For those using AKG E30/M50 ENGINE MOUNTS. You may have problems aligning them up with the engine arms if you place them to the cross member like I did. I recommend leaving them loose on the member and let the weight the engine place them properly.

My painter looking impressed by his job
Old 01-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #138
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 --

Minor work but got some stuff done today. I connected up all my rear brake lines at the joints and made sure they were tight. Also got my UUC SS clutch line hooked up to the slave on the transmission.

Worked on lengthening the wiring to place the diagnostic in original E30 location.
Z3M Shifter with the UUC DSSR
NOTE** The DSSR is really tight fit to where it meets with the shifter.
Installed and got the engine ground finished.

M52 headers clear the subframe and sway bar

AUDI A4 Brake booster clears the manifold without shaving off the fins.

Test Fit
Old 01-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #139
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Friday, January 11, 2013 --

Got my front bags today. My rear bags are on but not done, pics of the rear will follow soon.

I'm going to be installing mine a little different than the DIY that White325is has.
Instead of the using the adapter tube that comes with the kit, I started off by cutting the strut tube flush with the spindle. Then I messed around for about 1 hour cutting and grinding the inside of the spindle so the bag strut can slide into the spindle like they do on VW/AUDI applications. Once, the diameter of the spindle was wide enough, I slide the strut inside and voila. That'll be welded eventually.

I just need to clean up the spindles before they get welded.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 --

I got her all wired up, cranked it without fuel for a couple of minutes and then she started easily. I took about 2-3 tries before she actually started. My friend which was filming ran out of space on his as soon as she started. So this is a video we took moments after.
It's currently running without a proper tune. Just basic Turner M50 chip that was in the ecu when I got it. She sounds good considering the fact that I've never rebuilt an engine nor have I ever timed a BMW Engine.
I love the backfire on the header.. Flame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=aLgWujE5-YE
Old 01-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #140
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Friday, January 19, 2013 --

Today I knew my friend was coming by the shop (he's a welder) so I prepared my knuckles by cleaning off any dirt and rust. Shortened the adapter tube and got that welded all around the knuckle. Next was to slide in and weld the actual strut body to the adapter tube. Paint to follow, get the top plate reduced in diameter because the one that comes with the airlift kit is way too big. Once that's all done, I can place it on the car,get everything hooked up and see how this baby airs out.
Here are quick pics I took.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #141
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

The bags look good duder. I'm thinking I'm just going to come to Montreal and drive your car when it's on the road and judge the air ride for myself. It can sit on H&Rs and Bilsteins til then.

Also: it's not the headers that have trouble clearing the subframe, it's the downpipes which have to go on crazy bad angles. (which messes with your exhaust flo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #142
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Monday, January 21, 2012 --

Taped and painted the Air Lift struts and the knuckles. I also spent a lot of time making the Air Lift top plates that come with the kit smaller so they can fit in the shock towers. Once the the struts dried, I assembled everything together and got them fitted to the car. It was very easy to put together. Torqued down the Control arm and the tie-rod arms to the required spec.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #143
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Awesome work, I love the detail! Can't wait to see it finished.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #144
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 --

Today was a day full of hiccups as it began with having the wrong guibo. When I purchased the second engine (M50), it came with the guibo and I thought it was good to go but then realized that the ZF310/320 have a bigger flange so that was crap. Had to buy a new one. 90$ !!!!

I turned my concentration to finishing up the front suspension by putting on the hub, discs and calipers. Everything was going smoothly. Got the hubs cleaned up and painted. The wheel bearings where changed last year so they "should be good". Lets see how they hold up for. Before getting to the caliper assembly, I got interrupted once the guibo arrived. I wanted to see if this was the right one. Fitment was good until, another hiccup! The Z3M shifter is too long from the ball to the selector rod and causes the DSSR to sit at an angle which faces downwards. It comes into contact with the guibo and does not allow the transmission flange to spin freely. Looks like the Z3M shifter is not good for 24v swaps cause with the M42, I didn't have or maybe notice any problems. Going to get a 1.9 Z3 shifter or if anyone has another suggestions. I'm open to them. Enjoy.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #145
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

I am loving this build!

everything is so clean, and crisp and well..clean!

what part of montreal are you in?
The Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #146
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

The well-dressed, almost homosexual district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #147
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbloodshot View Post
The Z3M shifter is too long from the ball to the selector rod and causes the DSSR to sit at an angle which faces downwards. It comes into contact with the guibo and does not allow the transmission flange to spin freely. Looks like the Z3M shifter is not good for 24v swaps cause with the M42, I didn't have or maybe notice any problems. Going to get a 1.9 Z3 shifter or if anyone has another suggestions. I'm open to them.
Do you have a picture of the back bracket where the carrier attaches to the chassis? You have that bracket piece eh? I have a similar problem and think I'm going to move that whole bracket (and carrier angle therefore) upwards by drilling another hold higher up for mounting the bracket.

No idea on feasibility yet, I haven't tried it but and meaning to get around to it at some point... Or you could cut up your guibo :p

Nice job on the rest of the stuff!

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #148
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBell View Post
This kid is too weird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier View Post
Do you have a picture of the back bracket where the carrier attaches to the chassis? You have that bracket piece eh? I have a similar problem and think I'm going to move that whole bracket (and carrier angle therefore) upwards by drilling another hold higher up for mounting the bracket.

No idea on feasibility yet, I haven't tried it but and meaning to get around to it at some point... Or you could cut up your guibo :p

Nice job on the rest of the stuff!
I thought about that but even by making a higher hole, the top of the bracket touches the top of the transmission tunnel. What I did is, sold my Z3M shifter and got a Z3 1.9 shifter. It doesn't touch but just sucks that I lost the shortness of the Z3M shifter.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #149
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBell View Post
St-Denis Street/Ville Marie?? lol

either way, part of my heart belongs in MTL...I find people are passionate about traditional quality work there...must be a european thing.
The Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #150
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Twin View Post
St-Denis Street/Ville Marie?? lol

either way, part of my heart belongs in MTL...I find people are passionate about traditional quality work there...must be a european thing.
I don't live in a homosexual area. I live in an Italian area. Max is just jelly that he doesn't live here where everything is better. Women, night life, cars,

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: