Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
AGO 530
AGO 530

Shell V Power to Ultra 94 / gas millage!

I recently switched from Shell’s V power to Petro’s Ultra 94. I’ve been running the V Power religiously for the last 2 years, never had any problems. Picked up a JB4 a few weeks back, waiting for some warmer weather to do the install. I made the switch as the JB4 will apparently run better on higher octane.

What I’ve noticed is that my gas millage has decreased by about 15%. I used to get 200km out of the first quarter of the tank, averaging about 170km now. My daily commute is in rush hour, so the daily driving style very mild.

Anyone have the same experience?
AGO 530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Dinanstu
2nd Gear Member

Shell V power is my only choice. I don't think there's a benefit for ethanol on a turbo or supercharger set-up.

I have never been convinced of "plug and play" tuning. I think Dinan and AA provide the best tune, the best reliability and performance.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
cormier
6th Gear Member

I've also heard Shell has the most 'consistent' octanes

cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
AGO 530
AGO 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinanstu View Post
Shell V power is my only choice. I don't think there's a benefit for ethanol on a turbo or supercharger set-up.

I have never been convinced of "plug and play" tuning. I think Dinan and AA provide the best tune, the best reliability and performance.
I agree with AA providing a great tune. I own a CPO with a boatload of warranty; I’d hate to lose the tune when having software updated. What sold me was the ability to custom tune or de-tune whenever I chose. Not to mention it can be easily removed or re-sold.

My pre tuning concern was the horrible gas millage from the Ultra 94. Based on my readings so far, I was expecting to see a 3-4% drop in millage using ethanol based fuels. I’m just having a hard time believing the 15% loss just from switching fuels.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I believe Shell V-Power is one of the few left with no or very little ethanol in it. That seems to lead to better mileage in some cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinanstu View Post
I don't think there's a benefit for ethanol on a turbo or supercharger set-up.
There is an advantage but it isn't fuel mileage. That's why you see high horsepower turbo cars tuned for E85.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
AGO 530
AGO 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
I believe Shell V-Power is one of the few left with no or very little ethanol in it. That seems to lead to better mileage in some cars.
If I’m not mistaken, Shell’s V Power is the ONLY non ethanol content gasoline available in the GTA, aside from some race fuel. That’s why I was using it.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^yes. and there is zero benefit to using octane higher than you are tuned for. check your jb, but unless you have a tune for 94 you're wasting money on the more expensive gas, (and again wasting money by running your car on alcohol not gasoline).

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, ZHP knob, UUC short shift GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
http://absolutehid.ca hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGO 530 View Post
If I’m not mistaken, Shell’s V Power is the ONLY non ethanol content gasoline available in the GTA, aside from some race fuel. That’s why I was using it.
I did say only with some hesitation (I don't want to start an argument) because no one has concrete proof, there are reports that it changes station by station and in some cases stations are known to purchase gas from multiple refineries even competing brands. So what you get may change when another batch comes, but you are correct V-Power is the most reliable source for ethanol free gas.

As an example there are reports Costco buys gas from Shell & Petro, maybe even Esso. Some reports in the US that V-Power does contain ethanol.
Check out this site for more info: http://pure-gas.org
Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
AGO 530
AGO 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
I did say only with some hesitation (I don't want to start an argument) because no one has concrete proof, there are reports that it changes station by station and in some cases stations are known to purchase gas from multiple refineries even competing brands. So what you get may change when another batch comes, but you are correct V-Power is the most reliable source for ethanol free gas.

As an example there are reports Costco buys gas from Shell & Petro, maybe even Esso. Some reports in the US that V-Power does contain ethanol.
Check out this site for more info: http://pure-gas.org
I contacted Costco Canada directly when the Costco in my area opened a gas bar. Costco confirmed that ALL of the fuel they retail contains ethanol, as per “Canadian regulation” and that they purchase from “multiple suppliers”.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
I contacted Costco Canada directly when the Costco in my area opened a gas bar. Costco confirmed that ALL of the fuel they retail contains ethanol, as per “Canadian regulation” and that they purchase from “multiple suppliers”.
Again, i'm not trying to start a gas debate. They do that because they aren't going to guarantee the gas has no ethanol since they buy from multiple sources as you stated.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I recorded mileage over a period of time between Shell 91 and Sunoco (at the time) 94. I saw an average 9.x% fuel consumption difference favouring Shell.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
Dinanstu
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
I agree with AA providing a great tune. I own a CPO with a boatload of warranty; I’d hate to lose the tune when having software updated. What sold me was the ability to custom tune or de-tune whenever I chose. Not to mention it can be easily removed or re-sold.

My pre tuning concern was the horrible gas millage from the Ultra 94. Based on my readings so far, I was expecting to see a 3-4% drop in millage using ethanol based fuels. I’m just having a hard time believing the 15% loss just from switching fuels.
15% is pretty steep. Switch back or to V power and log it again.

Good points on the tune. I know AA sells a portable scanner/programmer (simon). I almost bought one to store my old custom Dinan tune, current tune and track tune. It may be worth the call to talk to Karl Hughes at AA about options.

Either way enjoy the car, its a nice one...

Last edited by Dinanstu; 01-26-2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #13
Barnsdale
2nd Gear Member

When I switched to Shell V Power I gained about 11% more, I was previously using Petro Ultra
Barnsdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
It's the ethanol in the 94 being the reason for your loss in fuel economy.

for a Turbo/Super Charged application (shoudn't really be including S/C lmao) ethanol can be helpful since ethanol burns "cooler" resulting in lower combustion temps making it safer for m0ar boost, aggressive timing or leaner AF ratios...hence guys making retarded amounts of power running e85. Will the 10% in the 94 help? It should. How much? who knows!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
heritage
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
I recently had an email discussion with the Shell Lab. in Calgary and they confirmed that their V power 91 is free of ethanol. That fact is particularly important to those who operate power boats as ethanol attracts moisture while in the tanks, many of which contain hundreds of gallons. Additionaly, ethanol enhanced gas has a shelf life of 90 days which, while not a concern to most auto owners, is a real problem to boaters.

Last edited by heritage; 03-03-2013 at 04:14 PM.
heritage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shell, ultra94, vpower

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: