Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #46
cormier
6th Gear Member

Really?

In your example, Apple only rose 9.1% while Facebook rose 26.7%....

If Apple rose 26.7% (to $696.9), you would have $6272, profit of $1272

Or if Facebook had only rose 9.1% (to $32.73), you would have $5433, a profit of $433.

Note the margin of error, but you would make just as much if you invested the same amount and the stocks rose by the same %age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
if were talking buy and sell stocks and you have lets say $5000 to put into stocks. (forgetting all the extra costs associated with a trade)

you buy apple at lets say $550 per share you can get what?

5000 / 550 = 9 s

now lets say you sell at $600

600 x 9 = 5400 ... profit of $400

you buy facebook at $30

5000 / 30 = 166

now lets say you sell at $38

166 x 38 = 6308 .. profit of $1308

my point is you can make more money buy more shares of a different stock because of the amount of money you have to spend.

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #47
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Holy shit you guys I was just making an example .. Bottom line you would have to take a lot of money out of your pocket to invest for little gain.

As for you siren and penny stocks .. Very high risk .. We're talkin blue chips here with little movement and a lot more secure.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #48
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

There Will Be No Economic Recovery. Prepare Yourself Accordingly

Old 01-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #49
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
Bottom line you would have to take a lot of money out of your pocket to invest for little gain.
Not necessary so, you can use the $5000 (as your example) to buy
an ETF (exchange traded fund) so you participate in blue chip tech(QQQ - tracks NASDAQ 100) or financial (XIU - tracks TSX 60) companies.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #50
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
Not necessary so, you can use the $5000 (as your example) to buy
an ETF (exchange traded fund) so you participate in blue chip tech(QQQ - tracks NASDAQ 100) or financial (XIU - tracks TSX 60) companies.
We werent talking about ETF and I didnt mention options either because I was giving an example on buy/sell stocks as thats what we were on.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #51
sirex
King Sirex

Facebook isn't a blue chip.

We get what you are sayinb Blades, it's just not a good way to invest/play the market, or to even look at it that way.

Last edited by sirex; 01-21-2013 at 08:55 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #52
IChopCars
aka ROOFLESS

Who said to stay away from RIMM??? I bought @ $9.35 about 1.5 months ago. Closed at $18 today. Thanks for the tip
Old 01-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #53
sirex
King Sirex

You guys want proof that the market is rigged??

AAPL falls to $460 after hours, on realease of earnings. Even though AAPL has broken revenue, and profit records in a quarter.

Incredible.

LOL.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-...213000877.html
Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #54
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
You guys want proof that the market is rigged??

AAPL falls to $460 after hours, on realease of earnings. Even though AAPL has broken revenue, and profit records in a quarter.

Incredible.

LOL.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-...213000877.html
lol rigged..

after reading the report, it's the guildance that caused the after market sell off to $460

This qtr the revenue is $54 billion but the gross margin at 38.6% is lower than a year ago of 44.7 % same qtr..and the guildance between $41 to $43 (lower revenue than this qtr) triggers the sell off

Apple is providing the following guidance for its fiscal 2013 second quarter:

• revenue between $41 billion and $43 billion

• gross margin between 37.5 percent and 38.5 percent

Shares of the Cupertino, Calif., company fell 10% in after-hours trading to $462.46 as the increased product sales failed to satisfy Wall Street's expectations. The results built on growing concerns that Apple may be losing its edge with consumers and have a tough time topping its past success.

"It is a decent, but not a great quarter for them," said Patrick Moorhead, analyst at Moor Insights and Strategy. He noted that the gross margins in the quarter, falling to 38.6%, may be a sign that the company's pricing power is slipping.

"It portends to a perceptual shift that Apple is no longer ahead," he said.

Last edited by damameke; 01-23-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #55
sirex
King Sirex

I have trouble believing "tough time topping its past success"

when new records are being anounced every quarter.

they sold 57 million iphones. 57 MILLION.... in a quarter! Does that not boggle your freaking mind?

UP from 47 million last year.

The gross margin is down 6 percent... Which still makes them more competitive then all the other companies in the same landscape. Whats NOKIAS gross margin? or RIMs? or Samsungs?

The articles being posted don't even make sense. How can you sell 10 million more phones - and then in the same sentence say APPLE MAY BE LOSING it's edge with consumers.........

It's just baffling to me. I have to be honest, I am completely baffled.

And yet the articles being published took RIM from 6$ a share to 18$ a share, on a hunch, about the posibility of success.

A 10 % drop on these earnings does not make any sense at all.

Last edited by sirex; 01-23-2013 at 09:27 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #56
damameke
6th Gear Member

RIM, now is a speculative stock and the speculation by investors is that BB10 will do well hence the rally on this stock

As for APPL, this qtr number is flat, (WALL street expected more than $54 billion in revenue); no matter how many past millions of phones they sold.. the guildance is low for next qtr, therefore analysts or writers that cover APPL are writing this: "Apple heightened concerns that its greatest years of growth are behind it"
and that is based on this quarter, looks like they fell out of love with APPL

lol

Apple stock sheds 10% on growth worries
By Tim Bradshaw in San Francisco
Apple heightened concerns that its greatest years of growth are behind it, as it reported disappointing iPhone and Mac sales and warned of a second quarter slowdown.

Shares in Apple fell more than 10 per cent, losing around $50bn in market value, in after-hours trading after it missed Wall Street’s expectations for the fiscal first quarter revenues.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #57
sirex
King Sirex

hey I guess growing your account to 136 billion, increasing your iphone sales year over year, with a huge market to exploit in China and India = growth concerns.

Meanwhile, the same analysts taht are concerned about AAPL growth are saying that RIM can grow because it's global.
Yet, how does that make any sense when RIM is releasing $600 phones - same price as Iphones???

LOL

Funny isn't it?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #58
damameke
6th Gear Member

The market can turn on a company quickly and I am not surprised at all, with $137 billion, they could annouced a share buyback yesterday, that might stopped the 10% decrease in the stock...

and the flu season is just beginning.. APPL caught the flu and the market is coughing loud;

Jefferies & Co cut its rating on Apple's stock to "hold" from "buy"
and slashed its share price target by $300 to $500.

Jefferies analyst Peter Misek, who has previously raised red flags about Apple cutting orders to suppliers, said the iPhone slowdown was "real and material" and here to stay.

"We think Apple is losing the screen-size wars," Misek said, noting that demand was moving away from the iPhone's 3.5-inch and 4-inch screens to screens of 5 inches offered by rivals such as Samsung Electronics, HTC and Nokia.

Misek is a top-rated analyst for the accuracy of his earnings estimates for Apple,
according to Thomson Reuters StarMine.

Deutsche Bank trimmed its price target to $575 from $800, and said Apple should start making a lower-priced iPhone to arrest the market share loss.

Expectations heading into the results had been subdued by news of possible production cutbacks, hitting a stock that hit a life high of $705.07 just four months ago after the launch of the iPhone 5. Since then, Apple's shares have dropped 35 percent.

Analysts said the company's growth would hinge on new products, but added that a new launch wasn't on the horizon.

"To re-accelerate growth, Apple likely needs to launch new products, yet few seem likely before June," Nomura's Stuart Jeffrey said.

The company has been long rumored to be working on a television but has so far deflected questions on its existence. Apple hasn't launched a new line of products in almost three years, apart from a smaller version of the iPad.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #59
sirex
King Sirex

jp morgan, goldmansachs all have price target of $575. the consensus on the street is roughly $575 after these earnings. With buy rating still.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #60
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

and not too long ago these same analysts said break $1000. Like really. And we think the weather man is terrible....at least they are not saying stuff like expecting a balmy 30C tomorrow...when it's really -19C. These analysts have no more clue than you or I. it's down to who has the best story to get their name out there and perhaps in the future they make a name for themselves.

that to me is the rigging.

i suspect the retail investors are not that ones that hit the exits on mass last night in after hours trading. some big institutional guys must have set it off? I don't see the small guys like us all heading for the exits at the same time. but that has to be a pretty big amount of trades to set it off like that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: