Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Excited about my e36

Hi All,

I haven't been active on here for a few years, as my car has been in storage.

Well, I finally bought a house with a garage and am looking forward to bringing my e36 home this spring. There are a lot of little tweaks I need to work on. I would also like to give the car some real power, so an s50/52 with a charger could be in the books.

Looking forward to toying with the car and getting back on Max!

uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
E36is
'OldSchool..'

always loved your car. go s54 or ls3.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on the house purchase, and of course, congrats on the house sell too!

The S50 and S52 are the best for boosting and tuning...

See you around neighbour...!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36is View Post
always loved your car. go s54 or ls3.
I've got to get out this summer and experience more cars with swaps to figure out what is best for me. Those are two good options, although I like the idea of a period correct setup.

Stu - have to sell mine before my purchase is 100% firm, but thanks! Know anyone looking?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
///tyron
4th Gear Member

Welcome back man! Not sure if you remember me or not!

How much power are u looking to make?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
A.K.A. Blackout
BLACKOUT

E36 Represent! Can't wait to see what you decide... I plan on doing one or the other in the near future...
Old 01-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Blackout - good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///tyron View Post
Welcome back man! Not sure if you remember me or not!

How much power are u looking to make?
Hey Bro!

Well, I drive a B7S4 daily and it moves pretty well at the stock 340hp. I love the linear power of the V8, and of course, the growl. I drove a chipped B5S4 before this and while I liked the WOT power, I am not a huge fan of the turbo lag.

With the e36 being lighter and less power being robbed by AWD, I imagine anywhere from 350-400hp, at the crank, would be as much power as I would need.

I was thinking of buying a used S50/52 and rebuilding it in the garage. I want the experience of doing that myself and I have a friend who is a BMW master tech who could help with what I can't do. I can drop that in an experience the upgrade. Then, the next year, I can buy a supercharger, like the AA HKS setup and be happy.

S54 would be cool but it seems like it would offer less hp than the above, for roughly the same cost. I'm also not as comfortable working on an S54 and I like the idea of being period correct.

Keep in mind, this car will be driven occasionally through the Summer and I have no interest in the track.

Thoughts?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
///tyron
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber e36 View Post
Hey Bro!

Well, I drive a B7S4 daily and it moves pretty well at the stock 340hp. I love the linear power of the V8, and of course, the growl. I drove a chipped B5S4 before this and while I liked the WOT power, I am not a huge fan of the turbo lag.

With the e36 being lighter and less power being robbed by AWD, I imagine anywhere from 350-400hp, at the crank, would be as much power as I would need.

I was thinking of buying a used S50/52 and rebuilding it in the garage. I want the experience of doing that myself and I have a friend who is a BMW master tech who could help with what I can't do. I can drop that in an experience the upgrade. Then, the next year, I can buy a supercharger, like the AA HKS setup and be happy.

S54 would be cool but it seems like it would offer less hp than the above, for roughly the same cost. I'm also not as comfortable working on an S54 and I like the idea of being period correct.

Keep in mind, this car will be driven occasionally through the Summer and I have no interest in the track.

Thoughts?
Well let me begin,

Im not a fan of super chargers because all your power is at the top of the rev range and they dont make anywhere near as much torque as a turbo charger would on our motors, which is essential in a street car. Turbo's these days have come along way, from ball bearings, to billet wheels etc etc all to minimize lag. My set up should yield close to 400wtq+ by 3500rpm. It all comes down to sizing the right sized turbo for your application.

If youre only looking for 350-400hp a small to mid sized turbo would yield your goals excellently with minimal lag on a stock block with a mls or ces cut ring head gasket. I'd say skip on the M/// series motors as they cost alot more than a regular m5x series and wont yield all that much more power when turboed. Just make sure youre running m3 cams.

If youre doing a full rebuild i would advise on going to a forged bottom end. A common theme these days in the bmw fi world is to do a 2.8l stroker or franken motor, which utilizes an m52 block and s52 crank which stretches the displacement to a full 3 liters and keeps the bore small which makes sealing a head gasket a whole lot easier. You would have to run 135mm forged rods and custom pistons, which many vendors such as trm, maxpsi sell. This is what im running.

A turbo kit from any vendor on bfc. is around 4-5 grand, but if you piece it together yourself you can probably do it for 3ish.

Another common theme these days is, like someone else mentioned, is to throw an lsx series v8 in the chassis. You can run a solid 30mpg 400rwhp e36, although from what i've read the swaps are hard and complicated and when completed will cost from 5-10 grand depending which motor you choose. Vorshlag sells a kit which includes, mounts, drive shaft, headers etc for around $3500 but you still need the motor and tranny, new brake lines, an abs relocation kit

My only complaints about this motor route is the aluminum threads in the block strip really easy and its hard to work on in the e36 bay.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Thanks.

I'm not down with an LS motor. Call me old fashioned!

My car runs an m50 right now with 175rwhp. I have s50 cams laying around.

I also did some research on 2.9l stroker a while ago, but forgot everything I learned. Plus, I don't think it yields the power I want.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
cormier
6th Gear Member

Nice ride! I definitely think the most economical way to get your power goal is LSx, and they're badass.

S54 can make those numbers too, with a similar badassary factor.

Just suggestions as you said you loved the smooth power band of your S4 (awesome ride ps). You can get a great tune with a SC and do well, but you won't get the same feel as an NA beast

All about taste good luck in whatever route you choose, you'll have loads of support here!

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
///tyron
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber e36 View Post

I also did some research on 2.9l stroker a while ago, but forgot everything I learned. Plus, I don't think it yields the power I want.
The stroker would be run in conjunction with an FI setup i.e turbo or super charger
Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
uber e36
6th Gear Member

For the last few years, I've been toying with not improving my car. The air is broken, there is a bit of rust behind one of the rear wheel arches, plus I want to add power. It's also only a car I drive casually in summer.

Instead, I've been thinking of buying an m3 cab and swapping over some of my parts (suspension, headers, etc). That way, I get a true M car and the cab would be great for Summer.

What does everyone think of this car? Seems priced high, but looks clean as hell.

http://windy-city-motorsports.ebizau...photolist=true
Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

The Cab looks clean, I can see how it caught your eye.

I prefer the supercharger to the turbo set-up. What makes these M engines to me is the daily drivability, but when you get into it, the power is there. The blower keeps that driveability, but when you get into it, you smile... Come spring, I'll take you for a spin.

Because the power is further up the rev range, you can run more boost safely. 12 lbs boost on my car is at higher RPM's, so you're not stressing the stock internals at 3000
rpm's. 8+ lbs on a turbo, you'll need some top end work.

The numbers you quoted you can do with a blower without aftercooling. I was running s unique DINAN set-up before the AA tune and was about 360 crank.

The S54 is a high strung motor and not the easiest to work on.

Find out some history on the cab. Where it was serviced, etc...
Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #14
uber e36
6th Gear Member

The jackass took forever to reply to my inquiry and sold the car to someone else.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #15
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

I'll keep an eye out. Are you looking specifically for an E36 vert?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: