Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
madonthemike
1st Gear Newbie

INPA - Help

So i got a cable from ebay and finally got Inpa to work. While i can run the engine tests (by going to engine section and choosing my engine), i cant seem to get any of the functions under the E46 feature to work, they all come back saying IFH-009 - No response from control unit.

While my car does not have all the options (ECUs) - I would atleast have thought i could communicate to a few of the ECUs.

Im strating to think its more to do with the version of files that came with the Inpa setup, Im assuming that the wrong ECU file is used to talk to the ECU.

Is this something to do with the file version?

Also is there a list of E46 specific ECU and the files needed to communicate with the ECUs?
madonthemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Try updating INPA with BMW Standard Tools 2.5 if you haven't already.

As always, make sure your USB latency settings and COM port are set correctly. I was having this weird issue where only 1 side of my laptop's USB's were working completely. The other side worked, but gave errors.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
madonthemike
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Try updating INPA with BMW Standard Tools 2.5 if you haven't already.

As always, make sure your USB latency settings and COM port are set correctly. I was having this weird issue where only 1 side of my laptop's USB's were working completely. The other side worked, but gave errors.
I think i have already, not sure which version of standard tools i installed. The instructions I have first installs the basic program and then the second part installs all the vehicle specific files. I will play around.

What version of INPA and Ediabas are you running?

Could it be that i require a different setup for a facelift E46?
Old 01-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

I haven't set it up in a long time.

Everything that went through my brain regarding this topic is posted here, including a tutorial on how to flash the ECU:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=898241
Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Wydis
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
I haven't set it up in a long time.

Everything that went through my brain regarding this topic is posted here, including a tutorial on how to flash the ECU:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=898241
Same problem here,

at OP try switching between D-CAN and KCAN

im pretty convinced its the cable i purchased (this one), I have tried almost everything from the software side.

I went thru ur posts on e46fanatic and saw the link for the VAG cable (Audi/VW?), is this the cable u use for inpa? If not could you tell me which cable you use for inpa?

Last edited by Wydis; 01-12-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Wydis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
madonthemike
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wydis View Post
Thanks,-

im pretty convinced its the cable i purchased (this one), I have tried almost everything from the software side.

I went thru ur posts on e46fanatic and saw the link for the VAG cable (Audi/VW?), is this the cable u use for inpa? If not could you tell me which cable you use for inpa?
Yeah mine looks exactly like that - i think they come from the same Chinese factory hehe. Still struggling. Check this out: http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30550
and scroll to post#8.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wydis View Post
Same problem here,

at OP try switching between D-CAN and KCAN

Blue modified vagcom cable.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
madonthemike
1st Gear Newbie

It works turns out for the specific cable that i ordered I needed to solder pins 7 & 8 to use it for a pre-2006 vehicle.

Tags
ediabas, inpa

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: