Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
Antonreality
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsdale View Post
I started using Mac a couple years ago and I never had slowing down, or virus problems. I have no idea if this is correct but someone told me that Virus makers plan them for PC for whatever reason and not really for Mac, I don't know the logistics but I've never had a virus problem.

If you do have any warranty problems etc, it's so easy to fix because you just book a online appointment and they fix it right there on the spot or give you a new one - that's probably what I like best in terms of piece of mind. And you can also sign up for free lessons on how to use the Mac and make use of its programs etc. Very good for beginners owning one.

They are a bit more expensive but 100% worth it and since the quality is good you can find awesome deals on Kijiji on mint condition ones still under warranty and have piece of mind.
That is pretty much a fallacy these days. Due to increase in sales of popular iOS and Android platforms, Malware writers specifically target these 2 platforms these days. Most Malware today is NOT designed to disable a computer but more designed for spyware/bot functionality. Years ago, Windows was the target and disruptions were the intent, but today it's all about stealing data and controlling your device for financial gain at some point.
Antonreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #17
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
I switched to MS essentials too as AVG started using up more resources than I wanted.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #18
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
I'm also a fan of MSSE, I run it on all of my personal computers.

On the topic of Macs, I've seen my share of macs with viruses. It happens and it's getting more common.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #19
abc12
4th Gear Member

so i eventually installed the avg virus scanner, i was surprised how fast it was to scan my whole system, normally expect it to be like over an hour or so, but took like 5 mins or so, is that normal?

and it found 2 virus's or files that appear to be bad, so deleted those since there un-needed files.

just another question regarding my system, when my computer has been running for like half a day, if i have several video's running, like youtube video's and such, the screen will always turn green... after i re-boot it will be fine again until later on, any ideas? thanks
abc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

I use Avira and Spybot.
No issues at all.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #21
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc12 View Post
so i eventually installed the avg virus scanner, i was surprised how fast it was to scan my whole system, normally expect it to be like over an hour or so, but took like 5 mins or so, is that normal?

and it found 2 virus's or files that appear to be bad, so deleted those since there un-needed files.

just another question regarding my system, when my computer has been running for like half a day, if i have several video's running, like youtube video's and such, the screen will always turn green... after i re-boot it will be fine again until later on, any ideas? thanks
either video card problem or monitor problem. most likely hardware related, maybe over heating.

is this alaptop or a regular pc? is it running for long period of times during other times? E.g. if you left the monitor on for a few hours with your computer on doing nothing will it go green?

if so sounds like mostly a monitor issues.

also what type of screen is it? LED LCD? regular LCD?

Last edited by sirex; 01-07-2013 at 11:09 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #22
abc12
4th Gear Member

oh no, it's definitely not the monitor, as it's not the whole monitor that turns green, just the video screen of what i'm watching turns green, everything else is normal.

it's a regular desk-top computer, about 3 years old or so, but still in good running shapre, i just think it's some sort of glitch, am thinking of maybe giving it a fresh re-format...
abc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #23
debunn
1st Gear Newbie

Another vote for Avast - the free versions works well... I don't notice any slowdowns. You may want to turn off newsgroup scanning though as it can affect the performance of news clients (if you use any!)
debunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: