Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
nizoo
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada, ON
Posts: 51
Clutch suggestions!!!

I need some suggestions to clutches I could use for my 03 530i !!

Mechanic quoted a Fenco branded clutch for about 600 CAD (Canadian Dollar) that's including tax.

Was wondering if that's a good clutch or even worth the money, or I should just go for the OEM.. Or if there are any other suggestions..

Price should not be more then the one quoted ~50+ or 50- is ok

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

And if you got something to sell, and for some reason you don't wanna put it up on here do not PM me, doesn't seem like I am getting any PMs on here :/
__________________
nizoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Hamadyr
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Hamadyr
With a car this age, you have to confirm flywheel condition as it will be part of the equation. The dual mass flywheels have a definite tendency for failure and cost a pretty penny.

Changing to a single mass flywheel will make a big difference in driveability.

I recently changed my setup on a 2005 330i to a clutch masters setup using their aluminum flywheel and I am VERY happy.

That being said, I think that the Aluminum flywheel is a little too light and would recommend the steel version. You can get very good deals from resellers who will have CM drop ship to your door.

Given your M54 with six speed, most of the kits out there do not fit your car. Be very careful while shopping :-)

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them because I did lots of research before making my final selection.
Hamadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
nizoo
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada, ON
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamadyr View Post
With a car this age, you have to confirm flywheel condition as it will be part of the equation. The dual mass flywheels have a definite tendency for failure and cost a pretty penny.

Changing to a single mass flywheel will make a big difference in driveability.

I recently changed my setup on a 2005 330i to a clutch masters setup using their aluminum flywheel and I am VERY happy.

That being said, I think that the Aluminum flywheel is a little too light and would recommend the steel version. You can get very good deals from resellers who will have CM drop ship to your door.

Given your M54 with six speed, most of the kits out there do not fit your car. Be very careful while shopping :-)

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them because I did lots of research before making my final selection.
Flywheel is included in the kit too, so that is out of the way.
my M54 is a 5-speed btw thanks for the suggestions I'll check em out
__________________
nizoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
mosu
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20
You can also check out Autopartway, the clutch kit is $348 with free shipping, Sachs OEM:
http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList..../pagenum1/tabS

You don't get the flywheel though. Can the dual-mass be machined? Why does it need outright replacement?
mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
MANDD
Autobahn East
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ajax
Posts: 263
Nizo,

$600 is a decent price for the clutch assembly seeing that it includes the flywheel.

The Fenco brand of clutches usually has a rebuilt clutch assembly so reliability is a concern.

The dual mass flywheels can be machined there are two reputable machine shops in Toronto.

Have you priced out the OEM kit through Mike@ Marenello in the Maxbimmer sponsor forum?

Mark.
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
nizoo
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada, ON
Posts: 51
Sorry guys, I was mislead by a friend..

on the estimate it said:
$80 for machining the flywheel.. talking to a friend, he said that new flywheels get machined too and that its probably included in the kit.

looking further into it, I still don't know if brand new flywheels get machined or not, but I just confirmed that its $600 including tax WITHOUT the flywheel.

I am considering getting the stock BMW clutch, according to RealOEM and Bimmerspecialist.ca it seems that LuK is the company the makes the OEM clutch?


@mosu
Thanks i'll check that out


@MANDD
I'll look into that now, thanks
__________________
nizoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy
 
bmwm5lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 15,288
You have a 530i, just put the stock stuff and get your flywheel machined. You will be fine for another 100000++.
Flywheels are not cheap, there is no way you are getting a new flywheel included for 600$.
__________________
www.enthusiastauto.caNeed a car???

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
nizoo
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada, ON
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
You have a 530i, just put the stock stuff and get your flywheel machined. You will be fine for another 100000++.
Flywheels are not cheap, there is no way you are getting a new flywheel included for 600$.
That's what I am thinking too, I PMed Mike like "MANDD" suggested, waiting for his response so I can pay him and get this over with


Thanks a lot everyone
__________________
nizoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 9,232
Stick with oem.
__________________
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
mosu
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20
Cheers, hope you found a good deal!

On a side note, and I hope I'm not hijacking the thread by asking this, how can you tell that your clutch is beginning to slip in cars with a CDV? My usual test was to drive along at 60 kph in 4th, put the clutch in, rev high, dump, and see how well it grabs.
mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
nizoo
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada, ON
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosu View Post
Cheers, hope you found a good deal!

On a side note, and I hope I'm not hijacking the thread by asking this, how can you tell that your clutch is beginning to slip in cars with a CDV? My usual test was to drive along at 60 kph in 4th, put the clutch in, rev high, dump, and see how well it grabs.
There are many ways. But my best test was putting the car on 3rd and trying to accelerate from a stop.. If it turns off then you still got a clutch, if it accelerates then yeah.. You got a bad clutch
__________________
nizoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
nizoo
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada, ON
Posts: 51
Got a great deal $310 for the OEM clutch kit if I return the old core

And mike suggested I don't touch the flywheel :/ as it may be a very bad idea :/
__________________
nizoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #13
taherm
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 6
e39 540i clutch

@nizoo, @MANDD
my clutch is wearing out as well so it's time to replace. how did you get in touch with Mike? I called BMW of Mississauga and they were pricing me a lot higher ~$500. would appreciate any help.
taherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
Heisenberg
1st Gear Newbie
 
Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sauga (ABQ, NM)
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizoo View Post

And if you got something to sell, and for some reason you don't wanna put it up on here do not PM me, doesn't seem like I am getting any PMs on here :/
Off topic but... I PM'd you today asking what your suspension/tire specs were cause your sig made me reconsider selling my style 66's : )


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamadyr View Post

Changing to a single mass flywheel will make a big difference in driveability.

I recently changed my setup on a 2005 330i to a clutch masters setup using their aluminum flywheel and I am VERY happy.
Did you do anything to deal with flywheel chatter or are you just living with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANDD View Post

The dual mass flywheels can be machined there are two reputable machine shops in Toronto.


Mark.
Contact info for these shops?
__________________
'01ImolaRed / Black E39 530i
OEM M-Tech kit | ZHP knob |DICE Aux/iPod | Euro Arm Rest | LTW Single mass flywheel
Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #15
nizoo
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada, ON
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by taherm View Post
@nizoo, @MANDD
my clutch is wearing out as well so it's time to replace. how did you get in touch with Mike? I called BMW of Mississauga and they were pricing me a lot higher ~$500. would appreciate any help.
oh damn, this is an old thread, anyhow, I ended up getting my LuK clutch from www.bimmerspecialist.com/ but I think I made a mistake doing so, either a mistake or I was very unlucky..

I talked to mike here on the forums, but I didn't get why they needed the core, so I thought maybe the clutch they offer would be Re-manufactured and ofcourse I didn't want Re-manufactured parts in my car, and that is why I bought from BimmerSpecialist.com but when I got the parts everything seemed okay until we installed everything at my mechanics shop, the throw out bearing wasn't good, so I had to pay for installation twice because I got the parts and not the mechanic.

the mechanic I deal with doesn't install parts that people get for him, he just did it because I wanted to get OEM stuff. If he orders the parts he will guarantee that it will work and cover the labor too.. but since I got the parts, I had to pay twice for labor, and it wasn't cheap.

I tried talking to BimmerSpecialist, thought maybe they could help me cover the labor because the part was defective and especially when we took it apart second time, you could tell that the throwout bearing was broken..

so I strongly suggest you try to find a mechanic that can get you a LuK clutch and install it, at least if anything is wrong, you won't have to pay for labor again, it hurts a lot paying labor twice lol, unless ofcourse you are planning to do it yourself.


mike's account here is: maranellobmw , but I don't think mike takes care of the sponsorship stuff, I think there is a girl now, but she is still using the same username on here so. I was quoted the following from them :

Quote:
THE CLUTCH IS 21-20-7-531-843 SET CLUTCH PARTS
REG$ 572.53 YOUR PRICE $310.00 * AFTER $50 CORE RETURN

$826 PARTS AND LABOUR PLUS TAX AND COMES WITH A 2 YEAR PARTS AND LABOUR WARRANTY
__________________

Last edited by nizoo; 04-13-2014 at 10:34 PM.
nizoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.