Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #46
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
Where do you come up with this shit?!?

cost more to maintain? why how .. its exactly the same car with some changes to the diff and other parts here and there.

How many people cry about the awd system breaking down? I havent seen one on this forum since I got here 7 years ago

burn more gas? how much more .. I got 9.8l/100 from my E46 330xi and now I get 9.4l/100km in my e90 325xi .. how much more are you saving please enlighten me on the massive gas savings your getting .. lets do the math

replacement parts are harder and more costly? .. I don't know what others have told you but BMW doesn't put magical golden unicorns or platinum plated crank shafts in a car just because it has an XI badge. Please show me these magical parts you speak of..
Are you for real? Same car with some changes?

How about 2 extra differentials, twice as many half-shafts, and an extra drive-shaft? All of which will require some kind of maintenance sooner or later.

How much gas you ask? Go to bmw.ca and look it up. An e9x 328xi averages ~10l/100km vs 9l/100km for a 328. That's 10% -> around 8 bucks everytime you fill up a tank. You do the math.

And of course... Any particular reason why you would need this part if XI never breaks?

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154263

Last edited by KIRASIR; 12-28-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #47
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRASIR View Post
Are you for real? Same car with some changes?

How about 2 extra differentials, twice as many half-shafts, and an extra drive-shaft? All of which will require some kind of maintenance sooner or later.

How much gas you ask? Go to bmw.ca and look it up. An e9x 328xi averages ~10l/100km vs 9l/100km for a 328. That's 10% -> around 8 bucks everytime you fill up a tank. You do the math.

And of course... Any particular reason why you would need this part if XI never breaks?

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154263
that part is wear and tear .. I dont need it right now so I thought I'd look around. I can buy it at anytime but I am shopping round for a cheaper price .. nothing new compared to what others do here as well. Its a common thing on the e90 but not on the e46

Gas really depends on how you drive .. even if it were 8 dollars more per fill up wtf are you worried about 8 dollars if your driving around in a BMW.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Old 12-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #48
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I will agree that during the warranty period maintenance will not be a large difference. But there is a difference, transfer case and front diff does require service, but it shouldn't matter with scheduled maintenance covered by BMW.

If you don't plan to keep the car after warranty is over, then you shouldn't care. It starts to add up as the car gets older and more 'wear and tear' items needs to be replaced.

Quote:
that part is wear and tear..
That's the point, there are more parts that will eventually need replacement due to wear and tear and it's not only drive-train related. The complete front suspension is different including the sub-frame. Price out the labor on an Oil Pan Gasket job for a 328i vs 328xi, that's not the only example, price out labor on a front wheel bearing replacement also.

There are alot of 'xi' specific parts that are not as easy to find as rwd parts (yes you can find them), but not as many aftermarket options, sometimes you are stuck buying dealer only parts. Like you probably have already experienced finding a used 'xi' specific part isn't as easy either, unless eurostyle or some local vendor happens to have an xi they are parting out, which isn't as common as a rwd counterpart.

Quote:
Gas really depends on how you drive .. even if it were 8 dollars more per fill up wtf are you worried about 8 dollars if your driving around in a BMW.
Re-read my post, I said it burns more gas, which you just admitted is true. How much more doesn't matter, I never claimed it was a massive amount just that there was an increase in fuel consumption.

So really you agree what I said was true, then why the need for this?
Quote:
Where do you come up with this shit?!?
It's all facts my friend. No one said 'xi's are bad, they are still great cars for those who prefer and are willing to pay the premium they call for. Just know what your getting into, and don't be delusional thinking everything is the same.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #49
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
I will agree that during the warranty period maintenance will not be a large difference. But there is a difference, transfer case and front diff does require service, but it shouldn't matter with scheduled maintenance covered by BMW.

If you don't plan to keep the car after warranty is over, then you shouldn't care. It starts to add up as the car gets older and more 'wear and tear' items needs to be replaced.
I sold my E46 330xi with over 320k and not a single thing to the awd system or diff needed changing. The e90 its a common thing (not just xi) .. look at e90post and do a search on diff .. so many get it replaced under warranty unfortunately for me im no longer in warranty.

Quote:
That's the point, there are more parts that will eventually need replacement due to wear and tear and it's not only drive-train related. The complete front suspension is different including the sub-frame. Price out the labor on an Oil Pan Gasket job for a 328i vs 328xi, that's not the only example, price out labor on a front wheel bearing replacement also.

http://www.autopartsway.ca/partlist.cfm?BMW/2006/325i/Base/allEn/allB/Driveline_and_Axles/Wheel_Bearings,_Seals,_and_Related_Components/Wheel_Bearing/

http://www.autopartsway.ca/partlist....Wheel_Bearing/

omg the humanity.

There are some benefits to e46 xi that cost the E46 non xi's .. subframe issues .. very few who were xi's got them

Quote:
There are alot of 'xi' specific parts that are not as easy to find as rwd parts (yes you can find them), but not as many aftermarket options, sometimes you are stuck buying dealer only parts. Like you probably have already experienced finding a used 'xi' specific part isn't as easy either, unless eurostyle or some local vendor happens to have an xi they are parting out, which isn't as common as a rwd counterpart.
I'll give you this .. sometimes I cannot buy aftermarket but I can buy for a good price that is oem from somewhere else. ex. I cant get a true short shifter although I heard of some trying out other types of models and they work.

Quote:
Re-read my post, I said it burns more gas, which you just admitted is true. How much more doesn't matter, I never claimed it was a massive amount just that there was an increase in fuel consumption.

So really you agree what I said was true, then why the need for this?
Depending on how you drive it can burn more gas as well. You point is irrelevant. So ya .. why talk about it. I don't see anyone telling him not to buy a convertible because it weighs more and burns a little more gas.

Quote:
It's all facts my friend. No one said 'xi's are bad, they are still great cars for those who prefer and are willing to pay the premium they call for. Just know what your getting into, and don't be delusional thinking everything is the same.
I will let it go if someone were to say the xi under steer at higher speeds around a corner or something that only holds true to the xi but everyone here makes it sound like the xi is awful. What premium .. what extra costs .. these are so miniscule .. its like your comparing a 325 to a 750.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown

Last edited by Blades; 12-28-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #50
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I'm on my mobile so ill keep this short.

Did you forget to read where I said to price out labor? (Ie, not the part only cost?)

The book rate is 1.2hr vs 3.something.
Oil pan gasket is 6.5 vs 10.something.

An xi is heavier and has more drivetrain loss, why don't you understand that if BOTH cars are driven the same the xi will have higher fuel consumption?
Old 12-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #51
jeff2
Jeff2

Quote:
Yes you're right everyone has an opinion and a point of view, but some are more thought out or valid than others.

I assume you don't want to put snow tires on to save money. But in reality you aren't really saving any money...., 1) AWD versions usually cost more. But assuming you find one that cost the same (either older or higher mileage). Then you are still not taking into account that 2) AWDs will cost more to maintain 3) burn more gas and 4) replacement parts are sometimes harder to find/more costly. A set of snows are cheap when you start taking these costs into consideration.

There are a lots of valid reasons or preferences for AWD, but I don't think trying to avoid snow tires due to costs is one of them. Most/some accidents happen due to failure to stop, which AWD won't help you with.

Thanks for the reply. A few things, first your assumption is wrong and I'm quite surprised you didn't "get" it. I was not making any reference to the cost of getting snow tires. I just don't want the hassle of changing them. Second, BMWs in general are expensive to maintain and gas cost are obviously higher. Those are factors someone would consider before buying. Lastly, I'm trying to understand what value you bring to this thread as you don't seem to be too objective IE. look at both sides, provide options, experience etc. The original poster is asking for input to help make a decision.

Last edited by jeff2; 12-29-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #52
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

This about sums you two up.

Blades: Doesn't want to admit his xi cost more to maintain or burns more gas.
Jeff2: Thinks awd is a substitute for snow tires.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #53
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:

I was going to say Jeff is just a tool. Owning a BMW or a Ferrari doesn't mean fuel costs change. "Second, BMWs in general are expensive to maintain and gas cost are obviously higher." They both take 91 pump to begin with. Only thing that makes them more expensive is when the gas companies decide to change the price of gas.

"I was not making any reference to the cost of getting snow tires. I just don't want the hassle of changing them."
You should change them anyways. For your own safety and myself or anyone else that is out driving.

"Lastly, I'm trying to understand what value you bring to this thread as you don't seem to be too objective IE. look at both sides, provide options, experience etc. The original poster is asking for input to help make a decision." He did bring many posts that contain information. Weither you hate AWD or not doesn't change that fact that his posts are all TRUE and FACTUAL.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #54
bmw32atexi
1st Gear Newbie

Guess people are sensitive on this forum. Don't take it personally. I really think the objective of this particular thread is to help this person and others make a decision.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #55
jeff2
Jeff2

Quote:

Correct if it pleases you. I thought about it carefully before making a decision based on my needs and the information gathered. As a matter of fact I know quite a few people that drive AWD/4 Wheel and don't have snow tires. I'm pretty sure the majority made a decision based on their needs and the information gathered before they purchased it. To each their own.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #56
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

Wow. After reading some of the posts on this forum I realize a bunch of children have taken over. I guess now that used BMW's are within reach of kids that still live at home and can afford one we will have to put up with this kind of thread.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #57
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x Beemer View Post
Wow. After reading some of the posts on this forum I realize a bunch of children have taken over. I guess now that used BMW's are within reach of kids that still live at home and can afford one we will have to put up with this kind of thread.
It happens on every car forum.

My only thing is that I want to give correct information and insight so the OP can make his own decision based on facts. He is on a budget so giving him things to think about right now that might not come years down the road could save him some headaches.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #58
3x Beemer
4th Gear Member

On many forums many would be banned with the comments and bickering I have seen here
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #59
jeff2
Jeff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post

I was going to say Jeff is just a tool. Owning a BMW or a Ferrari doesn't mean fuel costs change. "Second, BMWs in general are expensive to maintain and gas cost are obviously higher." They both take 91 pump to begin with. Only thing that makes them more expensive is when the gas companies decide to change the price of gas.
I'll ignore the name calling(implied or not). Let's not forget the original poster is coming up from a Corolla, so I tried to put the gas cost increase expectation in a obvious context as a future consideration for his buying decision.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #60
win8x100e
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
It happens on every car forum.

My only thing is that I want to give correct information and insight so the OP can make his own decision based on facts. He is on a budget so giving him things to think about right now that might not come years down the road could save him some headaches.

Correct information ? It don't look like you even currently own a BMW. Kinda like the guy that justifies showing up by himself at a couples retreat because he USE to be married. Muhhahahahahah...
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: