Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #31
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
Took it further? Lol - you've been here all if what? Not even a month and you profess to know members that have been here for years?

Get a life.
Was going to say the same thing.

OP, look for something around the 28k mark. That would work best as taxes will take around 4-5k of your $$. You could easily work within your budget when you look at lower priced vehicles.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #32
GeMc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for some excellent replies!

As I start to dig deeper I realize that I might not want to be as picky about the colour (although I would love it in black). Also, with me not being such a good driver (no accidents thank god, but no where near to be a pro!) I would like an AWD rather then a RWD. 2010 is the lowest I'll go I think... also needs to be under 45k KM. This will be my daily driver, and I will use it in winter. all I'm planning to do to it is add tints, if it already has it well then... I'm all set
Dude, don't bother with an AWD... you don't it. The 2WD versions all have a very sophisticated traction/stability program that will not let you get bent out of shape (too badly).. at least not any more than you'll experience in an unexpected situation (AWD or not). Plus, consider that for the other 45 weeks during the year that aren't covered in snow/slush/ice.. you've got to power 2 additional wheels and consume more gas (not to mention the added unspring weight of the AWD system suffering steering-feel). 2WD & a good set of snow tires will keep you safe.

German Mechanics
2530 Speers Rd #5
Oakville, ON Canada
(905) 286-4362
Mon-Fri 9am - 5pm

www.GermanMechanics.ca

Old 12-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #33
AZ_E36
MOPAR M1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
Took it further? Lol - you've been here all if what? Not even a month and you profess to know members that have been here for years?

Get a life.
When did I single any member out? Exactly. Your just taking it up the ass because you know that by my criteria you would be driving a Prius.

All I said was. Don't be a lame ass poser ((apparently like a few here who are getting their thongs in a knot)) and know about your car beyond what a brochure says.

I work on cars as a profession. That's how I pay my bills. Rich kids in bimmers. But god forbid I try to get them to save money by doing it themselves while taking business away from myself.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #34
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

You seem to have a strong fetish for anal sex - me thinks thou dost protest too much?

You are a mechanic - explains why you can work on your car. Just like you said, you'd have no business if everyone did.

Good thing you are in Arizona, I don't think we have many members from there, cuz I doubt they'd want to come to you with your attitude.

Tell you what - I sell servers, computers, IT related products. Please return your computer, because I guarantee I know more about them then you. Sounds about right according to your flawed logic.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 12-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #35
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Ya know what? Just thought about it.

I made my point - that everyone should know how to work on their own cars is a rediculous point. The rest is useless since you'll never have a baring on my life.

I will now take the higher road and refrain from replying to you.

Merry Christmas and happy new year.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #36
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_E36 View Post
When did I single any member out? Exactly. Your just taking it up the ass because you know that by my criteria you would be driving a Prius.

All I said was. Don't be a lame ass poser ((apparently like a few here who are getting their thongs in a knot)) and know about your car beyond what a brochure says.

I work on cars as a profession. That's how I pay my bills. Rich kids in bimmers. But god forbid I try to get them to save money by doing it themselves while taking business away from myself.
Your thinking is completely moronic. Do you know how to butcher your own meat? grow your own vegetables and raise your own cattle? If you don't, don't bother eating anything.

OP, you should keep in mind the costs associated with owning a bimmer. But remember, when you drive something that puts a smile on your face all the time, who cares what kids from Arizona say!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #37
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something View Post
Hi everyone,

Googled, "BMW Toronto Forum" and ended up here, looks like a great community! I'll just right away to my question as I'm sure you guys are busy with the holidays and don't want to read super long threads!

Right now I drive a Corolla (I know, I know), saved up some money and thinking of buying myself a BMW probably end of March, start of April.

I'm ready to spend $30,000 and the maximum I can probably go is about $32,000. Now I was thinking that if I can find a BMW for $35K maybe even $36K, I can try and lower it to $32K, which would be pretty sweet!

I am NOT a car enthusiast and don't know anything about cars (I know sad, but no time) and not sure which model to get, etc.

Now I looked at AutoTrader and I found some pretty nice 335i's (2010). I don't think my budget will allow me fora 2011+. What do you guys think of the 335i's of the year 2010?

Are BMWs sorta like civics (and I DO use this term loosely) where 2009 might cost more then a 2010 because 2010 is known for tons of errors and malfunctions?

All replies are welcome!

Cheers and happy holidays!

I think your better off buying a car around the 20-25K range .. leave the rest for mods or fixes after you get the car (Never know what you will need in the end depending on how good the car was taken care of).

Shop around online a lot .. there will always be a good deal once in a while. I recommend test driving a few different models before deciding.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #38
AZ_E36
MOPAR M1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
Your thinking is completely moronic. Do you know how to butcher your own meat? grow your own vegetables and raise your own cattle? If you don't, don't bother eating anything.
Considering I was born on a farm with cattle and 45 acres of food, I can do as I please.

and I know my way around a computer well enough not to call Geek Squad or any of those guys.

Know about what your buying. All im trying to do is get ONE more peron on the side of knowing what they are doing. You guys can do what you want all you want, but he asked for advice, advice given. Take it however you want, I dont give two squirts.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #39
mrod
2nd Gear Member

Getting off track is really not helping him guys.
I think that being able to work on or diagnose your own car lets you buy one a little out of your budget because you can keep repair costs down a bit.
More it costs new the more it will be to repair.
A lot of us here live BMW and it helps us figure out maintenance and repairs.
If you don't, get used to having to pay to get it done just like any car.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #40
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeMc View Post
Dude, don't bother with an AWD... you don't it. The 2WD versions all have a very sophisticated traction/stability program that will not let you get bent out of shape (too badly).. at least not any more than you'll experience in an unexpected situation (AWD or not). Plus, consider that for the other 45 weeks during the year that aren't covered in snow/slush/ice.. you've got to power 2 additional wheels and consume more gas (not to mention the added unspring weight of the AWD system suffering steering-feel). 2WD & a good set of snow tires will keep you safe.
I'm with Randy on this one. Do not get AWD. The traction control on e90s is nothing short of amazing compared to the old versions on e36/e46 cars, and with winter tires you wont have any problems driving around Toronto with a RWD car.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #41
dbworld4k
Addict

AZ.E36 FTW. I love reading his hysterical and misinformed posts with the holier-than-thou attitude and maturity of a pre-pubescent teen.

Keep going - it's been slow around the forum lately

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #42
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRASIR View Post
I'm with Randy on this one. Do not get AWD. The traction control on e90s is nothing short of amazing compared to the old versions on e36/e46 cars, and with winter tires you wont have any problems driving around Toronto with a RWD car.
I also have to agree. With proper winter tires and some common sense, it will save you the added fuel costs. You pay a premium for AWD, might as well save that for winter tires. Not to mention, even with tons of snow/ice, having AWD won't be any better then RWD/FWD. When summer arrives, you can have a little more fun with RWD when its wet (and safe of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
AZ.E36 FTW. I love reading his hysterical and misinformed posts with the holier-than-thou attitude and maturity of a pre-pubescent teen.

Keep going - it's been slow around the forum lately
This is true!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #43
jeff2
Jeff2

With respects to AWD or not, lots of good valid info from everyone in this thread. To help you in your buying decision try this approach:

1. Wait for a decent snow fall
2. Visit dealer and ask for a test drive in AWD and RWD.

However it is unlikely the dealer won't have Snows on the RWD cars. But, it would give you a general idea of the performance in winter conditions. Also another factor might be where you live in GTA(EG. north of the snow belt line) and your daily commuting needs.

I can say that I've driven my sister's 323i (06) and Brother's 335i(08) in snow in the past(both have snow tires). They drove fine in the city in most cases.

My criteria for buying AWD was not to have to put snow tires on (many would debate this, but opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one) plus a bit more peace of mind (based on my perspective).

One thing I do notice in AWD for sure is driving off from a stop position is alot quicker than RWD. Keep in mind that snow tires definitely provide better stopping in winter conditions regardless of the car, but that means you need to adjust your driving habits to the conditions of the road.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #44
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2 View Post
My criteria for buying AWD was not to have to put snow tires on (many would debate this, but opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one) plus a bit more peace of mind (based on my perspective).
Yes you're right everyone has an opinion and a point of view, but some are more thought out or valid than others.

I assume you don't want to put snow tires on to save money. But in reality you aren't really saving any money...., 1) AWD versions usually cost more. But assuming you find one that cost the same (either older or higher mileage). Then you are still not taking into account that 2) AWDs will cost more to maintain 3) burn more gas and 4) replacement parts are sometimes harder to find/more costly. A set of snows are cheap when you start taking these costs into consideration.

There are a lots of valid reasons or preferences for AWD, but I don't think trying to avoid snow tires due to costs is one of them. Most/some accidents happen due to failure to stop, which AWD won't help you with.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #45
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post

2) AWDs will cost more to maintain 3) burn more gas and 4) replacement parts are sometimes harder to find/more costly. A set of snows are cheap when you start taking these costs into consideration.

There are a lots of valid reasons or preferences for AWD, but I don't think trying to avoid snow tires due to costs is one of them. Must/some accidents happen due to failure to stop, which AWD won't help you with.
Where do you come up with this shit?!?

cost more to maintain? why how .. its exactly the same car with some changes to the diff and other parts here and there. How many people cry about the awd system breaking down? I havent seen one on this forum since I got here 7 years ago

burn more gas? how much more .. I got 9.8l/100 from my E46 330xi and now I get 9.4l/100km in my e90 325xi .. how much more are you saving please enlighten me on the massive gas savings your getting .. lets do the math

replacement parts are harder and more costly? .. I don't know what others have told you but BMW doesn't put magical golden unicorns or platinum plated crank shafts in a car just because it has an XI badge. Please show me these magical parts you speak of..

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: