Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
JeffCharger
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
That's just simply untrue... it's every bit as common as it used to be.
Wow, I didn't know that this could be done anymore. How do they do it? I thought we were pretty well protected now.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #17
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_E36 View Post
I just dont want him to think its all rainbows and sunshine and stylin in a Bimmer. Gotta give a worst case senario. I dont want him to buy it and then end up upside down in a BMW. Im on my Second E36 and its been like night and day. Last one needed nothing but work non-stop! this one, I dont have to buy stuff for just to keep it running.

It is a coin toss. But one thing is for sure. on a CPO, maintenance is not included. and there is always something the dealer will try to sell you.

PLEASE learn to work on BMWs before you buy some new fancy one. Its just too expensive to have the Stealership do it for you.
Sooo... anyone who can't work on one shouldn't have one?

The same can be said for any brand - there are lemon's in all, granted, you do hear about more with germans...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 12-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #18
AZ_E36
MOPAR M1.5

To be honest, yes. Too many rich kids abusing the hell out of Bimmers. I bet you anything at least one of you have seen someone with a BMW who puts it through hell with brake dust SMOTHERED rims and a filthy car. It's gross. They have no respect for the BMW. As a car guy, I ALWAYS have time for my car. Two jobs, a family, but I always have time for my bimmer to look good and run good.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #19
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
To be honest, yes. Too many rich kids abusing the hell out of Bimmers. I bet you anything at least one of you have seen someone with a BMW who puts it through hell with brake dust SMOTHERED rims and a filthy car. It's gross. They have no respect for the BMW. As a car guy, I ALWAYS have time for my car. Two jobs, a family, but I always have time for my bimmer to look good and run good.
LOL - Half this site, including me shouldn't own a BMW then... You are quite funny...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 12-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #20
AZ_E36
MOPAR M1.5

So you admit to not taking care of your BMW and not respecting it or what?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #21
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

I said nothing of the sort. I take care of my car, however, I am not mechanically inclined and use independent BMW shops to to do the work.

You said if you don't know how to wrench on the car, you shouldn't own it - which is the stupidest comment I've ever heard.

2007 Z4 3.0si

Last edited by Deep 3.2TL; 12-25-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #22
AZ_E36
MOPAR M1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
I said nothing of the sort. I take care of my car, however, I am not mechanically inclined and use independent BMW shops to to do the work.

You said if you don't know how to wrench on the car, you shouldn't own it - which is the stupidest comment I've ever heard.
Assuming I care what you think of me. And you asked and I told you. No reason to get all butt hurt. I don't expect a non-car guy to understand my views. Instead of taking everything personal, view it or what it is. Advice for someone looking to buy a new BMW. Good day sir
Old 12-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #23
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
So you admit to not taking care of your BMW and not respecting it or what?
Taking care ( I would say, maintaining) of your car and "knowing or wrenching" your car are different, your statement is; "dont buy a BMW if you do not know how to work on your car" ; then BMW will not be selling alot of their cars for many owners of this brand send their cars to the dealership for maintenance even after the warranty expires.

Very rich kids have the mean to trade up cars often, so SOME might just drive and not worry about maintenance, unlike you and I, we tend to keep our cars longer hence we "look" after our cars.

I dont work on my car but I send it to SF(one of the sponsor here) for the regular maintenance, should I reconsider being a BMW owner?...then SF will lose a customer...
Old 12-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #24
Smitty
4th Gear Member

This thread is awesome.

AZ: This is a community of BMW enthusiasts -- all of us "car guys" -- who variously choose either to self-maintain OR patronize local shops. How are the intentions and outcomes of my ownership scheme any different from someone who works on the car themself?

You say that you don't expect "non car guys" to understand your views, but what you really mean is "people like me." And to a lot of folks here, you're coming off as closed-minded. Walls keep people apart, they keep ideas separate. Open your mind! Superiority complexes are never cool.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #25
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks you are wrong... Lol

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 12-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #26
Something
1st Gear Newbie

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for some excellent replies!

As I start to dig deeper I realize that I might not want to be as picky about the colour (although I would love it in black). Also, with me not being such a good driver (no accidents thank god, but no where near to be a pro!) I would like an AWD rather then a RWD. 2010 is the lowest I'll go I think... also needs to be under 45k KM. This will be my daily driver, and I will use it in winter. all I'm planning to do to it is add tints, if it already has it well then... I'm all set

Found some cool ones IMO

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/3%20...howcpo=ShowCPO

EDIT: If the car is $31,749 ---> Do you think I will be able to get it down to $30,000 after taxes?

Last edited by Something; 12-25-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #27
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Dude - I think you think there's huge margin in used cars. Listed for $32k, plus tax is about $36k. You want 20% off?? You have to be more realistic. Maybe $32-$33k taxes in might be more realistic.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Old 12-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #28
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
That's just simply untrue... it's every bit as common as it used to be.
I meant more along the lines of how most newr vehicles mileage is tracked much more than it was in the olden days. Everything is computer related and they keep better track of mileage.
\As far as the method, it isn't cheap, I am sure it is easy tho, but i don't really know much about the process.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
Old 12-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #29
AZ_E36
MOPAR M1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
This thread is awesome.

AZ: This is a community of BMW enthusiasts -- all of us "car guys" -- who variously choose either to self-maintain OR patronize local shops. How are the intentions and outcomes of my ownership scheme any different from someone who works on the car themself?

You say that you don't expect "non car guys" to understand your views, but what you really mean is "people like me." And to a lot of folks here, you're coming off as closed-minded. Walls keep people apart, they keep ideas separate. Open your mind! Superiority complexes are never cool.
All im sayin is to know more than just what the brochure says and not to be a poser and he took it up the bum and took it further than it needed to go. If you ask, i WILL answer.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #30
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Took it further? Lol - you've been here all if what? Not even a month and you profess to know members that have been here for years?

Get a life.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: