Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > For Sale > Performance & Software
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
hemi4me
1st Gear Newbie

Mark D Chip vs Dinan?

I have an E34 M5 with a Dinan chip in it. Has anybody done a comparison between a Mark D and a Dinan chip for this era of M5. From what info I can find it sounds like the Mark D chip is better but before I drop $250 on one I wanted to see how much better and if it is worth it. Thanks
hemi4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
BlvkSvpphire
BimmerFanatik

Send a message via AIM to BlvkSvpphire
Don't know too much about Chips, but I've read a lot of topics about them, Long story short most people would say for the most part chips serve the same purpose, and don't make much of a noticeable difference/gain, but some argue that it does give better low end torque,redline, revlimiter, MPG etc.. Which I don't doubt at all.

My suggestion: Most people would say save your money for a better mod, but I think Dinan is quite reputable and high quality, but if the Mark D is more in your budget buy it and tell us how it goes !

I have a E39 and so does my good friend, we are about to buy the Confortti Shark Injector by Jim Confortti since he gets a good deal on them from private seller, not sure if they have those for E34 (pretty sure they do) might want to look into that as well

Goodluck with your decision !
BlvkSvpphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Dinanstu
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi4me View Post
I have an E34 M5 with a Dinan chip in it. Has anybody done a comparison between a Mark D and a Dinan chip for this era of M5. From what info I can find it sounds like the Mark D chip is better but before I drop $250 on one I wanted to see how much better and if it is worth it. Thanks
Going from a Dinan chip to a Mark D chip will make no noticeable power difference at all. Save your money!

But on a side note, I am always curious about the definition of "better"!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

MarkD tunes are fantastic. The best part is his incredible service because he's local. If something doesn't feel right, or you want a change... it's very easy to do while-you-wait. Your car especially since MarkD personally owns 2 E34 M5's. He's perfected that tune!

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

another happy Mark D customer here...really woke up my m20b25 on a 380 DME.

well worth the money, and the install couldn't be any easier.
The Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Dinanstu
2nd Gear Member

Dinan software:

Max HP Gain 37@ 7000 rpm
Max Torque Gain 36 lb/ft @ 3500 rpm
Peak HP 342 @ 6800 rpm
Peak Torque 294 lb/ft @ 4000 rpm

Can someone post Mark D's stats so the buyer can compare?

Remember he already has the Dinan software, he's asking if he should get rid of it for the new Mark D (EAT) software.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
JINT
5th Gear Member

I have Mark D software on my M5, i'm happy with it. Mark has 2 daily M5's, like EMPOWERED said, he has perfected that tune.
p.s. Don't expect it to pull like an E46 M3 because of a chip.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
hemi4me
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the feedback....while I'm not looking for any real overall hp increase I would like to smooth out the power curve as the car feels pretty flat until about 3800rpm, then it seems the power just pours on like a rocket all the way up to 7K. Some of the research I've done indicates that this is a characteristic of the Dinan tunes and more research seems to indicate that a Mark D tune provides a broader, smoother torque curve. Was just curious to see if anyone could confirm this or back up this information. Thanks.
PS-The M5 is parked for now but in the spring I'm thinking it might be time to pick up a chip from Mark D.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
JINT
5th Gear Member

I can back it up, Mark D tune does smoothen to torque curve.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
hemi4me
1st Gear Newbie

I like the sound of that....time permitting I will try to get a Mark D chip and see if I can get some Dyno time and compare curves....should be interesting
Old 12-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Sandeep
2nd Gear Member

Is this DeSilva were talking about?
Sandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #12
hemi4me
1st Gear Newbie

Yes I believe it is....

Display Modes Rate This Thread