Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
clementine
2nd Gear Member

cold air intake for m30.

does anyone have one or know where to get one, it seems like no one carries it
clementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
///Maluco
5erholic

AFAIK TCD still sells them for E28's.
Try giving Todd a call and ask him if they fit other 5er's too if it's not for an E28!

www.turbochargingdynamics.com

Bimmer Mag......................October 2010.....................Issue No. 93
///Maluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Marky Mark
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementine View Post
does anyone have one or know where to get one, it seems like no one carries it
IMO Cold Air Intakes are a waste of money and look stupid. I'd suggest spending your money on a modification that will truly improve the performance of the motor.

Below is an excellent write-up on why a cold air intake is a waste of money written by a Audi tech.

A cold air intake is more of a HOT AIR intake on these cars, even with those hokey fences. They slow the car down in most cases. We have removed several and reinstalled the stock airbox with a K&N with better results.

The only thing they seem to do is increase the grams per second that the MAF sees by changing the angle in which the air comes in and showing a higher MAF reading. The cars are NOT actually sucking more air in. The reason this doesn't help is that these cars have wideband 02 sensors and the increased MAF readings do not affect the fuel mixture due to the nature of how they are tuned (we tune them so we know how they work, they don't work like older 2.7t S4s). So you see higher grams per second thinking you are faster when you are either slower or the same as stock. That is why most people selling these only want to talk about the Grams Per Second and not the actual gains. Since then they would be lying.

After tuning many of these cars in house we have found that the intake temps (measured by the MAF on these cars) are cooler with the stock setup and the performance is better.

Of coarse there will always be followers who will install a big ass pipe and cone on their cars and think they are improving the performance of the motor.

Last edited by Marky Mark; 12-07-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Marky Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
clementine
2nd Gear Member

I'm mainly doing it for the space, i would much rather prefer stock, but there isn't much room in the engine bay because i swapped the m30 into my e30
clementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Marky Mark
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementine View Post
I'm mainly doing it for the space, i would much rather prefer stock, but there isn't much room in the engine bay because i swapped the m30 into my e30
Oh, an M30 in a e30, good for you.

Alpina used the stock box in the e30 B6.

Marky Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: