Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Adi™
1st Gear Newbie

Thermostat not covered from Pre Owned Cert Warranty? QQ

Took my 2007 x3 in because the check engine light (yellow) came on and it was running hotter than it usually did, told them the problem. Got a call today saying it's the Thermostat and it isn't covered... My warranty should be finished pretty soon but I thought this would be covered, they quoted me ~550 and I'm kind of bummed lol, tis holiday shopping season and all lol.

Was wondering if the changing the Thermostat is a difficult DIY and also somewhere where I can check what is and isn't covered for the Warranty. I don't think the dealership would try to hustle me but I heard a few stories from friends/relatives.

EDIT: He said something about leaving the gas tank open can cause this... I always close until I hear the clicks, not sure what they are trying to say here, waiting on their call back.

Last edited by Adi™; 11-22-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Adi™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

The light is not on because of the thermostat

The light is on because the gas cap was not sealed, will throw an evap leak code

The temp issue is the thermostat, and neve heard of it being covered by warranty as its a maintance item
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

A faulty thermostat can and will cause a cel if in fact it is faulty. May run too hot or too cold, either way it'll throw the code. As far as it being covered by your warranty, i doubt it will be. If you're somewhat mechanically inclined, then just buy a thermostat and change it yourself. It's not hard to do, and you'll save a few bucks. With the money saved, buy a code reader at CT for $100 for future cases.

An unsealed gas cap can also throw a code but that's a completely different issue, so its hard to tell exactly what actually caused your cel.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Adi™
1st Gear Newbie

Well, getting it back in the morning, not looking forward to my credit card build next month lol.

They said they will flush and refill the radiator system, so hopefully I wont be having anymore problems with it anytime soon.

I've been thinking of investing in one of those code scanners as well, just not sure on which one, I'm hoping theres some that can reset the CEL if its just a minor thing like leaving the gas cap open, I'm guessing it would be bit more pricey but it would be nice to keep at home.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

Thermostats are very commom on thise engines same with water pump and yes it will cause a check engine
BmW1819 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Nice of them to flush your rad at their high rate for next to no reason.

You have to accept that dealer rates and work are usually over priced and in some cases unneeded. Not just bmw but most, sad fact.

As proven by the fact you are paying them nearly double for a therm, change.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Adi™
1st Gear Newbie

Yea I realize that now, and since my warranty is close to over anyway, its time I start looking for a place where I can take my car whenever I run into problems. If you guys have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it a lot. I live in Markham so preferably not too far from here lol.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi™ View Post
Yea I realize that now, and since my warranty is close to over anyway, its time I start looking for a place where I can take my car whenever I run into problems. If you guys have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it a lot. I live in Markham so preferably not too far from here lol.
Go to this place: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

550 for a thermostat change? I think it costs me about $40 and 30 minutes.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: