Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

also check the diff bolt, sub frame mounting points on M3's are reinforced from the factory, so shouldn't be torn, if they are I wish you luck, I tore them right outa my e36, was a hell of a job welding them back in and welding on the M3 reinforcement plates, but it was an excuse to upgrade all the bushings when I had it apart
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #17
dcramer
5th Gear Member

I just put a new diff in the car, so the bolt is good.

I'll let you know what I find after I pull it apart.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #18
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Exhaust hanger rubber weak from years of heat exposure. Mine got so bad that they broke the seal on the midpipe. Just figured it out the other day. They get too soft laterally and the muffler bangs around in the tunnel. Easy way to check, see if the heatshield in the muffler tunnel has gouges in it from the pinch weld. Could also be the top from over extension over negative curvatures.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #19
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
That's a good point, I've been checking that area for cracks each time I look at my mounts but haven't found anything.
My trunk carpet has been out for years, so I do have easy access to it. My shocks have been in and out many times due to the stupid externally adjustable koni setup.
how come u have to take the shocks on and off? im guessing u got he Koni SA's?
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #20
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Exhaust hanger rubber weak from years of heat exposure. Mine got so bad that they broke the seal on the midpipe. Just figured it out the other day. They get too soft laterally and the muffler bangs around in the tunnel. Easy way to check, see if the heatshield in the muffler tunnel has gouges in it from the pinch weld. Could also be the top from over extension over negative curvatures.
Yes, even new they aren't worth a crap on the track. What do people do with track cars ? There must be a decent aftermarket hanger ?

That being said that isn't the clunk that I am hearing I know about that one.

Dave
Old 11-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #21
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

I am going to fill the voids on the new ones with urethane. Also I completely missed the part in your initial post about eliminating the muffler. Mine makes the weirdest noise leaving the driveway, took me a while to pinpoint.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's

Last edited by Axxe; 11-06-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:11 AM   #22
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
I am going to fill the voids on the new ones with urethane. Also I completely missed the part in your initial post about eliminating the muffler. Mine makes the weirdest noise leaving the driveway, took me a while to pinpoint.
Interesting. I'd like to see that and to see how well the urethane stays in.

Dave
Old 11-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #23
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

It stays in well. I've done it. Many bushings come with a wax like coating over the rubber to protect it. You'll need to use a dremel or something on low to just scuff up the rubber (inside the void) a bit, then wash the void out with some alcohol. Fill the void wait 8 - 12hrs or whatever the working time is, then install.

In the case of the e30 rear carrier mounts: The urethane in the void would form a solid 3" long chunk, the carrier mount bottom plate would prevent that from coming out even if it did come loose of the rubber.

The urethane stuff I bought is awesome, hardens up and feels like a hockey puck. Oil/gas resistant, I think it was nearly 20$ at Carquest.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 11-07-2012 at 09:23 AM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #24
dcramer
5th Gear Member

OK, I just replaced the rear lower ball joints. I am willing to wager this is where the clunk comes from.

M3's have solid rear lower ball joints. My guess is it takes quite a bit to move them when they are partially worn. So you won't really be able to feel them until they get quite bad. But the car will be able to move them going over bumps etc.

Before you get all excited about replacing them, the bolts are likely rusted in. Mine were. What appears to be a 1 hour job is more like 4. I had to destroy the old ones to get the bolt out.

Now if you had replacement arms and you didnt mind cutting the bolt and damaging the arms it would be much quicker. Course you still have to get the inner bushing and bolt out ....

If I were dropping the subframe I'd be replacing these as a maintenance item.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: